Decoys

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by HUNTZVT, Mar 4, 2014.

1. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008

When did I say it was beneath me? I've killed birds over decoys so if its beneath me that's quite amazing. However, it wouldn't bother me one bit if they outlawed their use.

2. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    This makes zero sense. People plant sunflowers and bushhog them down for doves. That is legal. However, back to the corn field issue. Unless you are going to leave the corn standing til spring, then bushhog it, I can see what your saying. However, not much will be left by April if you've got a good deer and varmint population around.

3. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    It's sorta implied in there.

4. BIGBADDAD

BIGBADDAD 10 pointer

5. headoftheholler

headoftheholler 12 pointer

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    Why anyone need a decoy to kill a bird is confusing, its not really all that hard, you just got to get to the roost tree in the dark, point up and shoot.

6. ky.longbeard

ky.longbeard 10 pointer

May 15, 2010
    No need to buy those expensive calls either !;)

7. HUNTZVT

HUNTZVT 12 pointer

True. Just a gun and a big net- don't want the meat getting bruised when it hits the ground.

8. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Had an Iowa farmer tell me the same thing once. Dead serious too. We ran into him at the local watering hole and had inquired about hunting his several thousand acres next to the farm we had permission on. He told us to hunt away and kill all we wanted, blasted things were so thick they were eating all of his corn. Then he proceeded to explain to us where to park and how to walk to the roost tree without spooking them. We told him we would hunt after daylight by calling. He just shook his head and shrugged his shoulders. "Lot easier to kill when they are still asleep in the tree".

He then looked us straight in the eye and got all serious. "You can kill all the turkeys you want, but don't touch my mushrooms." We all tagged out without leaving the farm. We left his mushrooms alone too.

9. HUNTZVT

HUNTZVT 12 pointer

I've run across a few farmers like that. Had one guy who told us we could hunt his land as long as we promised to kill at least 6 turkeys a year. He wanted us to kill the hens too- couldn't figure out why we only shot the gobblers.

10. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement

11. kyhunter28

kyhunter28 8 pointer

Oct 23, 2002
    ky.
    Dang I hunt with decoys and love the thrill to watch them come in spitting and drumming and beat the tar out of the decoys. I have killed a fair share of birds over decoys and have passed them up when they didn't interact with the decoys but that's my choice. I think its more about the show than to shoot them as soon as they get into range. So I take it some of you guys just run and gun and ambush them and that's your choice but to say you wouldn't mind decoys outlawed wouldn't be much fun for some of us that enjoy the show.

12. thunderchicken09

thunderchicken09 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    I'm one of them. Every time i use decoys they hang up or just walk away.

13. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    I agree, we need to stick togeather to fight the anti groups and not bicker over the small things with each other.

14. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    That's a legal practice for doves, just not waterfowl. It's also a great way to pull turkey's off your neighbors place, legally, lol.

15. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    I take 2 birds every year and never use a decoy in the fields or woods. Knowing their pattern is 80% of a successful hunt. Just like deer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk