Daniel Boone Rock?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Muzzy Moment, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Muzzy Moment

Muzzy Moment 8 pointer

Sep 8, 2011
    Eastern KY
    No they looked raised in the pic for some reason but are actually chiseled out.

muddhunter likes this.
  2. CentralKyHunter

CentralKyHunter 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2007
    Def a sticker. Maybe hydro dipped but not carved

I can think of a lot of stuff DB stands for. First is D Brains

3. rackmaster2

rackmaster2 6 pointer

Jan 10, 2009
    straight fork
    Looks raised to me also , I can’t see it any other way .

Suggestion , get some other examples and compare , contact a historical org that is about boone and let them review .

Some things need to be recorded .
    I had a place in Dawson springs one time that had some rock forts on the ridges , it had a timber contract on it when I bought it and I wanted to make sure it was left intact .
    I contacted the state archeologists,
    When I was telling him what it was he said “ I’ve heard rumors about these for over 20 years and never could locate them and today the guy that owns the property calls me up “

anyway he did a couple trips , def interesting in that they were burial sites , very old culture too .
    Lots work packing those rocks to top of ridges

4. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 6 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    Letters look "pillowed" to me, but that's because the carving is so deep and wide at the surface. Could be intentional, or from erosion. Erosion carved to my eyes.

If this is on public ground, I'd love to get the GPS coordinates. I'm always up for a hike!

5. This is very cool. I grew up hunting parts of Right Beaver in Floyd and still own a piece of the family farm there. I would not ask you to share the location for fear of vandals damaging the rock but would be curious if you could share the general location as in Garrett, Wayland, McDowell? Or what branch it might be on? As a kid, I had heard that Boone traveled parts of the Big Sandy on some of his treks thru Kentucky but never saw any evidence of his passing thru.

Muzzy Moment likes this.
  6. Pic looked raised to me but when I enlarged it, I can see that it is carved. Did anyone notice that there is also a faint "6" carved where the first "7" in 1775 appears? In the 1970's I rode dirt bikes all over Right Beaver, Middle Fork, David, and Salt Lick off rt7 near Garrett. We even camped under some rock houses but never found any DB carvings.

7. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    Very cool in any case!

8. Muzzy Moment

Muzzy Moment 8 pointer

Sep 8, 2011
    Eastern KY
    I didn’t know Daniel Boone knew how to hydro dip. Thanks for the info D Bag

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    hunt, hotdog, biged57 and 2 others like this.
  9. M1J

M1J Fawn

Dec 20, 2020
    West Ky
    Regardless who it is, it’s still awesome

10. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I agree

Muzzy Moment, biged57 and barney like this.
  11. slicked-it

slicked-it 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2008
    Currently reading a book on Daniel Boone. As mentioned above, he would often carve his initials and dates into trees and rocks. I don't know if it's legit, but I'd like to think so. Boys, them jokers lived hard. They called it living.............we'd call it survival in today's times. It's cool to read about how they were impressed with the "wild clover" and how abundant it was in "Kentuck" or "Kentucke". Said it kept the deer, elk and bison well fed. Crazy to think of KY in that light. They also spent a lot of times at "licks" that occurred naturally in the earth. Lots of fights and battles occured at these licks.....both groups hunting the area and ended up fighting one another.

This isn't a quote but it's in the book..................when food was scarce, they would often times feed the Indians they'd killed to their dogs. It sustained the dogs and they believed that it made them more fierce when it came to "hunting the red man". Very interesting read thus far.

The book mentions "buffalo trace" a zillion times.....it's referring to the swath left behind when a herd of bison would cruise through (at least I think that's what it means based on context clues). And to think, I just thought it was good bourbon ;)

Muzzy Moment and bondhu like this.
  12. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    You are correct on the Buffalo Trace. When I was young in the 70's members of my family would show these traces to me in and around Fleming, Mason , Nicholas and Robinson County's.
    You can travel to Blue licks state park and still see parts of a Trace. But you should hurry 4-5 years ago last time I looked its starting to fade away. You can walk the trail Daniel Boone traveled during I think the last known battle of the Revolution. He lost his son Isaac on the knob straight above the resort

rcb216, Muzzy Moment and barney like this.
  13. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    If the old-timers are correct we have a “buffalo trace” that runs through one of our farms here in Harrison. Like a 200 foot wide dip/path Close to Stoner Creek Lair road. It’s since been tore down but there was an old cabin back there and an little field rock cemetery off a waze by a grouping of trees

rcb216 and Muzzy Moment like this.
  14. slicked-it

slicked-it 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2008
    So interesting!!! Love that sort of stuff. We have a farm near a place called “sandy Y”. The Y is a fork in the road and the soil is so sandy it won’t hold water....this past spring I found a single arrow head near one of the food plots. I was like a kid at Christmas!!

Timholt70 likes this.
  15. Recurve77

Recurve77 10 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    Back in the 60’s my granddad told me that what I had perceived to be an old road bed bordering his farm was actually a buffalo trace. The “road bed” appeared to be cutting through hillsides with 2-3 foot sloped walls of dirt on each side of the “road”.
    It was very narrow, only wide enough to allow 1 vehicle or 1 horse pulled wagon to pass through. He didn’t know when it had ceased being used as a road or trail. This was in Ohio county.

bondhu likes this.