Daniel Boone National Forrest Oct Squirrel Hunt - Cave Run Lake

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by JG26_Irish, Jul 19, 2019.

1. This season will be yr 52 for me, so I am officially older than dirt. I would rather squirrel hunt on a good day when there is an abundance of game and the weather is good, then deer hunt any day. The social aspect of deer season is what keeps me coming back to it but the guys out at Shawnee appear to have a good thing going and if possible, I hope to trek out and smoke a few squacks with them that weekend. I lack much of the hardcore camping gear for such a adventure these days since my kids are grown and my wife's idea of roughing it is the Holiday Inn. Still trying to decide if I want to look for my little tent or not.

Feedman, we have a special bottle of bourbon reserved for the 1st hunter to bag Bigfoot with his 22 rimfire. Good luck!

xbokilla, barney, Munson and 2 others like this.
  2. 1FowlHNTR

1FowlHNTR Spike

Jul 29, 2017
    Rowan County
    I'd be interested, but since I'm not considered a resident anymore, it's too dang expensive... I can go to Idaho and hunt elk, deer, bear, and wolf(with all applicable tags and requirements) for $147 and some change. My license alone costs that in Kentucky, then you have$10 a night camping (if in clear Creek) where a bear may or may not destroy everything you have... I love my home area, but after last year hunting there, I'm done with Kentucky... Awesome idea though!!

3. Just to be sure, the one day non-res hunting license for small game is $25. So two day is $50 and 7-day is $65. Not nearly as costly as deer but someone plans to return or deer hunt then yes, it is now $150.00. The bears can be a factor anywhere in the area. Take the necessary precautions. Don't leave out food or garbage, etc. Idaho is beautiful. If I lived out that way, I would hunt there too. Bears can get in your stuff there too and some of them are the bigger bears of the Griz persuasion. I have a friend in Tendoy, Idaho a few miles west of the park who invited me to come out an hunt there. It is rugged country. Not for the frail or weak.

4. grinder

grinder 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    Have never hunted cave run. I thought it was a primitive weapons area . Or does that just apply to deer hunting. I’d bet those hills are full of squirrels. I’ ll Keep watching this. May just come and bow hunt deer.

5. 1FowlHNTR

1FowlHNTR Spike

Jul 29, 2017
    Rowan County
    Quite a bit of the left side of the road, beyond a certain point is, but all the right hand side (to include behind the rifle range) is whatever. If you can get your hands ona smokepole, the primitive weapons area is overrun with them!!

6. grinder

grinder 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    I have a .36 squirrel rifle, was thinking bow. I have killed a few with recurves and longbows. Not saying it’s a good way to fill the freezer, but it’s a lot of fun. I’m not much of a squirrel conissuer anyway.

7. grinder

grinder 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    Make it or not, this is an excellent idea. Love these group hunts, makes for fun campfire stories, to me, that’s the measure of success in any hunt, bagging game is just extra icing on the cake.

8. 1FowlHNTR

1FowlHNTR Spike

Jul 29, 2017
    Rowan County
    Take both! I learned on a trip to Louisiana that you need to have a backup plan...My buddy TRIED telling me that I wouldn't be able to kill em with my 17 and I didn't listen...by the 3rd day not firing a shot and him and his dad with limits, I begged for forgiveness (and a scattergun)!!

9. Grinder gets it. The campfires, telling lies (hunting stories) is some of the best. Plus a visit to Me "Ye Olde Irish Pub" is just the ticket for quenching a parched thirst after a long day in the woods. If you happen to kill a squirrel, that is a bonus. FYI- much of the land mass on the Zilpo (West side) side of the Cave Run Lake is in the Primitive Weapons Area. Maps are available from the Forrest Service. I don't hunt PWA anymore and it should be chock full of squirrels since nobody much else hunts it either. A black powder shotgun would be the cats meow. In and around the Cave Run area are thousands of acres of forest which is part of the Daniel Boone National Forrest and is open to modern gun hunting. Squirrels are not as popular a game animal anymore so finding them is usually not too tough. Last year was a banner year. This year, the jury is still out for me. I have been out a couple of times and saw squirrels all but the last day when I saw nothing. But I have only hunted two spots. Deer bow season is coming in this weekend so that might increase the traffic some. Most days I never see another hunter. I only get so many weekends each year to hunt and I never get to visit all of the good spots in one season. The mast crop looks solid this year in the spots I have been so far.

Irish

10. grinder

grinder 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    So, being October, there’s no reason this can’t be a deer,turkey, squirrel hunt combo? Rats, just checked, my weekend to work !

11. 0Troy

0Troy Fawn

Oct 31, 2017
    Lexington
    I'd be interested, if this thing is still active...

12. Active? Yes. Official event? Maybe. Still assessing the quality of the squack herds in the area to make sure they are sufficient to support a good hunt. Last year was good but this year has been underwhelming so far but have only been out a few times. Plan to try again this weekend in cooler temps.

Munson likes this.
  13. Notice - I have elected to cancel this event for this year due to the exteme drought and limited squirrel crop this season in the vicinity. I will likely still be out in the woods weather permitting but just not attempting any campout.

Irish

14. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    I don't blame ya. I stayed over there Saturday and never seen a squirrel even in the campground. Surprised they let us have a fire really but they did get a little rain that morning.

15. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    I don't blame ya. I stayed over there Saturday and never seen a squirrel even in the campground. Surprised they let us have a fire really but they did get a little rain that morning.