dammit

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by bgkyarcher, May 23, 2019.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Soon to be 56 years old, lost my job yesterday. Out-sourcing the entire IT department. I've worked on an AS400 for my entire 30 year career. The job search in my area is very depressing. I've been through 3 mergers/moves, but never lost my job like this. Always had plenty of notice, and was able to line something up prior to termination.

2. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Quit being a negative Nancy. This is a blessing in disguise. Weigh your options. You know plenty of people. Network. Find something that you will enjoy. You have plenty of skills and are very marketable. Think outside the box and find a solution. This is an opportunity....not a set back. Sheesh.

3. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    That sucks! Hope you find a better job.
    I've been threw 2 buy outs and never lost my job, but got screwed over both times.
    Good luck.

4. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    That sucks. You’ll find something. BG is booming.

drakeshooter likes this.
  5. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    How old are you Ed?

6. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    No way to sugar coat it....That is a difficult pill to swallow. I went through a tough period when I was in my early fifties....I didn't think I'd ever find another position but I didn't give up and I found a new job and met a bunch of folks who I really have enjoyed knowing.

Perhaps it is corny, but words from an old poem I learned in High School kinda helped keep me going....

In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I shall not wince or cry aloud
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody but unbowed

Hang in there and don't give up.

bgkyarcher likes this.
  7. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    totally sucks. good luck.

8. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Hate to hear that BG. Hope everything works out. I'm sure you'll find something with that much experience.

9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Thanks for the words of encouragement brother, but you really don't understand my friend.

10. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Hang in there brother !! I wish you the best.....I know it sucks. Can't imagine what you are going through.

11. T-wil69

T-wil69 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    I worked at a place for 6 years and went through 3 diff owners, the last year I tried to take my vacation and was told I couldn’t, long story short I was let go about a month later with no notice and my wife was 3 months pregnant, luckily my cousin was needing some help and I started work the next day, have been there for 5 years now and much better off, just enjoy that unemployment for a while and spend time with family, everything will fall into place

carnivore likes this.
  12. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I can understand feeling bad about this, but if you are vertical and breathing, all else is gravy. This can be a new beginning, or a depression....it's up to you. Go get you some unemployment and relax for a while as you re-group.

13. 00noturkey

00noturkey 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    you got the skill's. the kid's coming out of college these days, mostly brown shirts. start your own business. setting up computers, for business's, for example. most business owner's dont have a clue how a computer works. just saying. course you could show them how to, i wouldn't. i wouldnt show people how to do their own HVAC, it aint worth it. they would hurt themselves, without experience.
    ya paid your dues, get your rewards.

next page;; i could use a browser, that doesn't due, page hit ranking, nor politics.
    IT wise we need a new browser.
    { if ya program for business owner's,, dont show the business owners, how to to it }, if as a consultant. 5 will get ya 20, maybe more, they wont do the same for you.

i know trick's about riding race horses, to get the best speed. that stays with me, to the grave.
    i paid the dues. got broke bones to prove it. plus a bullet workout at churchill. 34.7 in 3/8.
    i was slowing the horse down, so it didnt run too fast.
    take or leave what i say as you see fit. i been faster on horses. i wont tell how..

Google has its thumb up everyone's arse. a long thumb. [maybe ya can tell, i aint a fan..]
    jumping people down the road, a guide, so to speak. i remember when ya could surf the web.. nuff said

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Capttrae likes this.
  14. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I am very sorry to learn about your job loss, and hope you find a new job soon. Don't know how the economy is in B.G., and being 56 years old doesn't help much. You might consider relocating to another city or state to find work. Best of luck to you.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  15. 300winmag

300winmag 12 pointer

Sep 1, 2009
    Taylorsville
    While I agree with what Ed said earlier it's hard to have that attitude right after you get the wind knocked out of you. Take a few days and de-compress and let the emotion of the whole situation calm down and things may look a little brighter. You're in a good field with lots of opportunities, heck now a days it might even turn into a work from home IT gig. Keep positive and good luck!

FOWLER2671, 00noturkey, Nock and 2 others like this.