dale hollow shell craker info?

pastorbass

6 pointer
Apr 1, 2007
Liberty, KY - Casey County
I'll be running the fishers of men tourny on dale saturday so I only get about 4 or 5 hours to fish. THere is another big tourny going on the same day so instead of waiting in line for a bass spot or getting in the way of some of the FOM guys I thought about going after some big ole shell crackers/blue gills so I can stock the freezer.

Is it too early for the good bite to be on yet? Any areas to look for? What kind of bait would you throw? I haven't fished for panfish in a long long time :)

Thanks,
jeremy

grouser68

Banned
Jan 29, 2006
I went shell cracker fishing weekend before last, and one day last week. They were just coming up and starting to clean out nests.Most of what I caught were males, they had'nt herded the females in yet. I am sure that in that lake the females more than likely are nesting now.It seemed even a small bobber spooked them, so I threw them a hook with a redworm on it, no float, no sinker.They were up against the bank, many with their backs out of the water, to about 2 1/2 feet.I found most of them on shallow, rocky, points.Depending on water clarity, a good pair of polorized glasses should show you some schools nesting, also look for fighting.It also seemed they were biting better in the shade in the afternoon, and evening.Last week I got rained on, right after the rain they seriously turned on, they were hitting when the bait hit the water.Redworms are the best bait, but nightcrawlers broken into pieces worked well, and stay on your hook better.Hope this helps.

grouser68

Banned
Jan 29, 2006
Oops, sorry Pastorbass, this was'nt on Dale Hollow, but I would have to think it should be close to the same there.

Latest posts