Dads gun did it again

tbrothers

6 pointer
Aug 29, 2011
Cecilia
I finally got the chance to pull the trigger Saturday morning. This guy walked out right at legal shooting time. He was checking scrapes around the edge of the field. I had my 8 year old with me but he didn’t want to shoot him. I asked him 3 times don’t you want to shoot that buck. He kept telling me no. He said dad you shoot it with papaw Jimmy’s gun. So I took the 30-30 and double lunged him. He ran about 30 yards through the woods. Since it was so early we were going to keep hunting before we got down to look for him. We set there for about 45 minutes and my son looked at me and said are we going to go get him or what. So we got down and started tracking him. I let him lead the way. He went straight to the spot where I we saw him and there was nothing. I told him sometimes they don’t bleed good right away. He then said I know where he went in the woods. I told him to go check there then. As soon as he got there he said I see blood. We were walking slowly through the woods finding a ton of blood. Then all of the sudden we jumped a buck about 50 yards in front of us. As soon as he jumped up my first though was that was my deer!!! So we stopped for a minute and I had a father son moment with my son. I told him that we may have pushed that deer if I didn’t make a good shot. Then he said dad if you didn’t make a good shot then we would not be finding this much blood. I told him that usually I would say he is right but this time I’m not sure. As we sat there talking I looked around and saw this tall rack laying back on the edge of the field. At that point I thanked God for what he had blessed us with. After we got to him I asked my son why he didn’t want to shoot and he said that was not his target buck that he was wanting so he wanted me to shoot him!!! He also said that he wanted me to take that deer with papaws gun. I sat there and cried like a baby because my dad has been gone for 13 years and my little man never got to meet him but he knows what my dad meant to me because I still talk about him everyday. I have been blessed to have 3 boys that love this sport as much as I do and I thank God everyday for them!!!
369B21D2-E910-4D8A-AEB6-F198F0D148E8.jpeg 86131DAD-4B66-4E0C-96F9-EC9B6382BA16.jpeg

mudhole crossing

12 pointer
Aug 20, 2007
East ky
I finally got the chance to pull the trigger Saturday morning. This guy walked out right at legal shooting time. He was checking scrapes around the edge of the field. I had my 8 year old with me but he didn’t want to shoot him. I asked him 3 times don’t you want to shoot that buck. He kept telling me no. He said dad you shoot it with papaw Jimmy’s gun. So I took the 30-30 and double lunged him. He ran about 30 yards through the woods. Since it was so early we were going to keep hunting before we got down to look for him. We set there for about 45 minutes and my son looked at me and said are we going to go get him or what. So we got down and started tracking him. I let him lead the way. He went straight to the spot where I we saw him and there was nothing. I told him sometimes they don’t bleed good right away. He then said I know where he went in the woods. I told him to go check there then. As soon as he got there he said I see blood. We were walking slowly through the woods finding a ton of blood. Then all of the sudden we jumped a buck about 50 yards in front of us. As soon as he jumped up my first though was that was my deer!!! So we stopped for a minute and I had a father son moment with my son. I told him that we may have pushed that deer if I didn’t make a good shot. Then he said dad if you didn’t make a good shot then we would not be finding this much blood. I told him that usually I would say he is right but this time I’m not sure. As we sat there talking I looked around and saw this tall rack laying back on the edge of the field. At that point I thanked God for what he had blessed us with. After we got to him I asked my son why he didn’t want to shoot and he said that was not his target buck that he was wanting so he wanted me to shoot him!!! He also said that he wanted me to take that deer with papaws gun. I sat there and cried like a baby because my dad has been gone for 13 years and my little man never got to meet him but he knows what my dad meant to me because I still talk about him everyday. I have been blessed to have 3 boys that love this sport as much as I do and I thank God everyday for them!!!
View attachment 94589 View attachment 94590
Nice buck!! Dam them thurty-thurtys; they won’t kill a deer. Lol

dirtstalker

12 pointer
Nov 20, 2009
Clay County
Awesome buck and even better story. Sounds like you are raising a fine young man. And I don't know if anyone has ever told you this..but you could pass for Troy ruin from primos. That's who I thought you were when I first opened the pics.

tbrothers

6 pointer
Aug 29, 2011
Cecilia
Awesome buck and even better story. Sounds like you are raising a fine young man. And I don't know if anyone has ever told you this..but you could pass for Troy ruin from primos. That's who I thought you were when I first opened the pics.
You are not the first person that has told me that!!!