CWD Found in Tennessee

BowOnly

8 pointer
Mar 6, 2008
That may be true, but it still shouldn't have near the same level of die off for an entire herd that EHD has because of how EHD gets transmitted and how fast they die.

There are areas in Wisconsin where mature bucks are testing nearly 50% positive for CWD.

Nov 27, 2018
Yonder
Listened to an interesting conversation with dr grant woods. Said Illinois has/had 19 areas with cwd but you never hear about it with Illinois cause they do a great job containing it. They drill it down to the individual herd (best they can obviously) and try to wipe that herd out before it spreads. Obviously really terrible situation if it’s your farm but the ends justify the means.

ojibwa62

12 pointer
Jul 1, 2018
NOTW
The captive cervid industry (Ted Nugent) might be a bit biased towards CWD.
Did you even read it? If you want I can post dozens if other articles and papers from other sources such as whitetail biologists. This one was written by a doctor who specializes in infectious diseases in animals. CWD is just latest in a long line of boogyme. I really wish more of my fellow hunters were better informed and read more then opinions on a hunting board, that way they wouldn't fall for these scare tactics.. Is CWD something to worry about? Yes, but not on the scale they are trying to sell.

Ataulbe1

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2017
Estill County
https://www.outdoorlife.com/what-we-know-about-chronic-wasting-disease-in-deer#page-3

Here's a pretty fair and balanced article. Even has significant input from Dr James Kroll who many respect his opinion. Ultimately what the data showed does not look good:

They found that during the study period (2003–2010), whitetail populations in areas of Wyoming (where the disease has been present for decades) with high prevalence rates of CWD declined annually by 10 percent. If such declines continue, localized extinction will occur in less than 50 years.

“The decline was caused directly by CWD lowering annual survival of female deer, which have the biggest impact on population growth rates,” Edmunds said in a release from the university. “This was because CWD-positive deer died both directly from the disease and were more likely to be killed by hunters than CWD-negative deer.”

Prevalence rates in the Wyoming study area were as high as 30 to 50 percent. Midwest hunters should take note. In Wisconsin, some townships have reported prevalence rates higher than 20 percent. If the Wyoming research is any indication, those regions could see localized extinction of whitetail populations in areas of the greatest prevalence.

WildmanWilson

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2004
Western Ky.
I don’t think baiting is a major cause of CWD spreading. Deer are always licking each other, eating under the same acorn or apple tree or spilled grain from farmers. Stopping baiting isn’t going to stop anything in my opinion. Deer aren’t solitary animals and have constant contact with one another.

Latest posts