CWD Found in Tennessee

kyhunter99

12 pointer
Dec 21, 2014
Still in the kitchen Ky
Joe rogan had a talk with ted nugent and later a wildlife biologist about CWD on his podcast the joe rogan experience, interesting stuff!
Both talks are easily found on youtube.

They talked about how Cwd jumped to a herd of caribou and the govt there (forgot the country) decided to have hunters wipe out the entire herd--2500 i think they said. Insane.
Nugent said cwd is a bueracratic conspiracy.

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
Not so sure Uncle Ted is exactly a good source of information concerning CWD.

He runs a high fence operation with Sunrise Safaris and 99% of his shows kill footage is over bait... which if I remember correctly he got busted using bait in a state that it was banned as well. So .... understandably he’s not going to be too supportive of CWD restrictions because he knows baiting bans result.

Which I’ll give him credit for his position on 2A issues... but it pretty much ends there.

kyhunter99

12 pointer
Dec 21, 2014
Still in the kitchen Ky
Not so sure Uncle Ted is exactly a good source of information concerning CWD.

He runs a high fence operation with Sunrise Safaris and 99% of his shows kill footage is over bait... which if I remember correctly he got busted using bait in a state that it was banned as well. So .... understandably he’s not going to be too supportive of CWD restrictions because he knows baiting bans result.

Which I’ll give him credit for his position on 2A issues... but it pretty much ends there.

Oh it was a terrible interview. I think thats why rogan immediately set up with a biologist.

Bee

10 pointer
Mar 14, 2005
FWIW Tennessee does not allow deer baiting with corn. Nor turkey baiting with corn.

wademup

12 pointer
Feb 5, 2004
benton, ky, USA.
I think EHD kills far more deer than CWD, but hunters think CWD can be quick fixed by banning baiting while its difficult to keep each water source in the state full during the summer. For every state that has found CWD not one has been devastated by it that I know of except the ones that F&W depts overreacted.

I dont mean to downplay CWD but I think it gets overplayed by many.

Ataulbe1

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2017
Estill County
We get really bad EHD outbreaks every 5-10 years and just look how it devastates certain areas. Takes years to recover. Imagine if EHD was contagious and it took 2 years to kill the animal. That's CWD.

So with near certain impending death it is infecting other deer for up to 2 years. So essentially within 2 years you're dealing with the equivalent of a massive EHD outbreak every single year. That the way I've heard it explained. So yeah, don't want that in Ky.

ddwhitetails

10 pointer
Jul 6, 2014
Does KY even do testing for CWD each year? Its just a matter of time. The state is completely surrounded by it!

Nov 30, 2017
Lexington
We get really bad EHD outbreaks every 5-10 years and just look how it devastates certain areas. Takes years to recover. Imagine if EHD was contagious and it took 2 years to kill the animal. That's CWD.

So with near certain impending death it is infecting other deer for up to 2 years. So essentially within 2 years you're dealing with the equivalent of a massive EHD outbreak every single year. That the way I've heard it explained. So yeah, don't want that in Ky.
That's not true because a deer with CWD still has time to reproduce once or twice before death. A deer that dies from EHD infection would die before they could reproduce.

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
That's not true because a deer with CWD still has time to reproduce once or twice before death. A deer that dies from EHD infection would die before they could reproduce.
I don't believe a Deer or any animal, that is sick, will be reproducing, or be interested in reproduction per-se.