CWD Found in Tennessee

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
Playing devil's advocate here.. what are they going to do, ban the sale of corn? Or maybe walk every farm and property in the state looking for corn? Here as example in north GA baiting used to be illegal but many people still did , many large leases and land owners had trough feeders and put corn and mineral licks out, now if you got caught there was a fine , the fine was different county to county but was just a fine. If it would have been a fine and loss of privileges for a time that might have stopped it.. but betting many still would have done it.

They don’t have to step one foot on the property to find it ... just fly over it with a helicopter. Being a corn pile from the air stands out like a star on a goats butt.

KDF&WR’s does this now ... prominently for spring turkey and somewhat with waterfowl. But they cover a lot of properties from the air and if found or suspicions exist ... then the CO’s will follow up on the ground. They will have pictures & documentation in most cases before the first citation is ever written.

Which understandably tree canopy in summer & early fall factors in as does broadcasting it compared to piling it up on the ground. But they have a lot of resources to aid in finding it.

Edit to add...I’d also say the use of drones would add another level to checking properties ... without ever having to actually be on the property.

Last edited:

ojibwa62

12 pointer
Jul 1, 2018
NOTW
Enforcing it would be no different than any other game law. Some will disregard it but the vast majority of hunters follow the rules.
some of you have far more faith in your fellow Hunter then I do. I have a couple buddies in another state who are GWs and from what I have seen or heard from them it's closer to 50% that bait even when illegal.. look the industry that makes and sells attractants, baits, minerals and corn. They sell almost as much in states where baiting is illegal then in states where it is legal. Not saying some wouldn't stop but many would not. Like I said I wish I had more faith in my fellow man , but don't.

ojibwa62

12 pointer
Jul 1, 2018
NOTW
They don’t have to step one foot on the property to find it ... just fly over it with a helicopter. Being a corn pile from the air stands out like a star on a goats butt.

KDF&WR’s does this now ... prominently for spring turkey and somewhat with waterfowl. But they cover a lot of properties from the air and if found or suspicions exist ... then the CO’s will follow up on the ground. They will have pictures & documentation in most cases before the first citation is ever written.

Which understandably tree canopy in summer & early fall factors in as does broadcasting it compared to piling it up on the ground. But they have a lot of resources to aid in finding it.

Edit to add...I’d also say the use of drones would add another level to checking properties ... without ever having to actually be on the property.
if you were in an area of known violations they might waste time with flyovers and drones but the avg guy with 20ac probably could get away with it if he was careful.
And who piles their corn up if it's illegal? Somone who wants to get caught apparently (if it was illegal) you could spread 100# of corn over a 5000sq ft area and you won't see it from a drone or plane. A major problem in most areas are not enough GWs or COs whatever you wanna call them. The two I know in GA have several counties to patrol alone with some overlap but for the most part solo. I don't know if KY is as under staffed. I will say in the time I have been in KY I have seen one.

DH13

12 pointer
Jan 13, 2012
Shelby county
if you were in an area of known violations they might waste time with flyovers and drones but the avg guy with 20ac probably could get away with it if he was careful.
And who piles their corn up if it's illegal? Somone who wants to get caught apparently (if it was illegal) you could spread 100# of corn over a 5000sq ft area and you won't see it from a drone or plane. A major problem in most areas are not enough GWs or COs whatever you wanna call them. The two I know in GA have several counties to patrol alone with some overlap but for the most part solo. I don't know if KY is as under staffed. I will say in the time I have been in KY I have seen one.
If you scatter it it cant be seen. So don't have to pile it up.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.

maybe there's a market for camouflaged corn.

Feedman

Cyber-Hunter
May 28, 2003
In the basement
Now would be a good time to get baiting stopped. I know some will say they do it to get pictures an see what is in their property or they do it so the kids have an opportunity to shoot one from a blind.
If they ban it, it will be like turkey season, if you know of someone baiting, turn them in to the CO.
This will also be a good time to make deer season longer because of the hunters will now need more opportunities to hunt because they cannot bait.

ribsplitter

Cyber-Hunter
Jan 19, 2004
Greenup, ky, USA.
So why is everyone terrified of cwd ? How is it really any different than Ehd in the whole scheme of things . They both wipe out deer herds and that's about it the deer just bounce right back like a rubber ball right. So why worry so much over this disease and not worry about others?

pentail

Bacon
Staff member
Sep 25, 2002
Savoring the smoke
So why is everyone terrified of cwd ? How is it really any different than Ehd in the whole scheme of things . They both wipe out deer herds and that's about it the deer just bounce right back like a rubber ball right. So why worry so much over this disease and not worry about others?
The problem with CWD is its similarities to Mad Cow and the fear that it might one day be passed to humans who consume an infected animal

cedar creek

10 pointer
Sep 7, 2014
It’d take a huge, major reason for them to ban baiting in Kentucky. CWD might be the only thing that would do it
I might be wrong but I believe the big corn piles and feeders have helped lead the decline in turkeys, either disease or predators hang around bait piles

BowOnly

8 pointer
Mar 6, 2008
I might be wrong but I believe the big corn piles and feeders have helped lead the decline in turkeys, either disease or predators hang around bait piles

Bingo.

Artificially high numbers of raccoons likely put a damper on nest success in the spring.

Last edited:

BowOnly

8 pointer
Mar 6, 2008

EHD is over each year once a frost kills the biting midges that transmit it. Deer are usually dead within days and don't transmit it to each other.

CWD is transmitted deer to deer. Infected deer live on average 2 years before they die. All the while, they're releasing the disease through saliva, urine, feces, etc. I think it's unclear right now what kills the disease or how long it can stay viable in the environment.

Latest posts