cva exchange 35%

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by 00noturkey, Jun 26, 2017.

1. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    i got an e the other day, 35% with an exchange from an older gun towards a new one. sometimes i worry about my 2000, 50 cal. part because of the controversy, about splos, cva, in the breach area, and part about seeing spider cracks, inside the barrel [my gun] just around the threads where where the plug goes with the the nipple that carries the 209, or 11 cap.. im not sure what a new gun cost, but, the old one shot straight. i could hit a beer can, three out of three, at 40 yards. that aint much of a shot. i still worry about those spiderweb cracks i see. i have been told they are tool marks, i just cant see how a tool can make that kind of pattern. if they were perpendicular, that would be one thing, if you ever seen a crack in the basement, or on your windshield, there is no straight line.. //Ed

2. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    It sounds to me like they are doing a "recall" without actually calling it a recall. I'd take the offer and trust my gun 100% instead of wondering if it is going to blow up.

RLWEBB and 00noturkey like this.
  3. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    i shoulda listened to ya, at the time, i posted this.. but i forgot about it. any chance ya know how much a magneflux check cost? i doubt i spelled it right. i just cant trust the barrel, an dont know if its worth the check, v/s a new barrel, or at this late date, just buying a new gun.. the competition, might want my old barrel, should the test prove, it has fractures in it.. else i missed out.. it dont bother me, if the competition wants it, should it be bad, since i may have been sold a faulty barrel.. should the test ring true, least i might feel comfortable, using the muzzle-loader.. even if the test says its safe, i still dont want to shoot the gun, an would feel uncomfortable selling to someone who would, though i told them of the risk... at the moment, that 50 cal, is just slag metal to me..

4. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    A Magnaflux test will only find cracks already there. It won't tell you is a barrel is too brittle, not heat treated right, or has metal fatigue. Have you called CVA to see if the offer is still good? Maybe they can sell you just a new barrel cheaper than a whole rifle. It's worth a try. Call them and raise a little stink and play ignorant like you just heard about this problem.......sometimes you have to fudge a little with big companies...

5. bstickin1

bstickin1 6 pointer

Jul 1, 2005
    Rocky Hill, Kentucky
    CVA had a recall several years ago, can't remember what model but they sent me a barrel free and only asked that I not use the old barrel. Try calling them, they might gladly give you a new barrel rather than taking a chance on something bad happening. Just don't tell them you're not going to shoot it anymore. If anything tell them you shoot a whole lot and don't want it to blow up in your face.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  6. friends dont friends buy cva

1wildcatfan likes this.
  7. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    I couldn't remember why I had you on ignore until I opened this post. :rolleyes:

1wildcatfan likes this.
  8. Don't be harsh,just trying to make people smile.Shoot what makes you happy

9. BucksandFish

BucksandFish 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2012
    E-town
    I traded in a CVA Optima Pro Magnum and bought a Accura V2. I even forget to send in the old breech plug and ramrod but I still got the full discount. I am thrilled with the new gun.