Cva and traditions

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by Lounative14, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Lounative14

Lounative14 Fawn

Sep 20, 2015
    I was at the local walmart yesturday and found some good deals on different ML. I almost pulled the trigger on one but decided to hold off and do some searching on these other models. Was going to buy a cva wolf blued with fiber optic sights for 165, they also had a traditions g4 pursuit in ss w/fiber sights for 270, cva Optima ss scoped packages for 340-380, and a cva wolf ss scoped package for 240. I know the wolf can be a decent shooter but haven't heard much about the other rifles. Loved the way the traditions and optima felt in my hands..looking for some feedback on the above models. Will probably be shooting whichever rifle I get inside 150 yds and be using .44 cal 240g xtp bullets. Thanks

2. Pirate

Pirate Spike

Aug 11, 2016
    Kinston, NC
    The Optima is a step above the Wolf. I have had one for probably 10 years and it is a quality muzzleloader. Not sure about the scope that comes on the combo. I would rather put a better quality scope on it than what comes with the combo. Personally, if money is an issue, i would buy the Wolf and put a $200 scope on it than the Optima combo for the same money. If money is not an issue, I would buy the Optima and put a better scope on it. Have not shot the Traditions so can't speak to those.

3. Lounative14

Lounative14 Fawn

Sep 20, 2015
    Ended up finding a traditions vortek strikerfire on sale at rural king for 200$ came with a scope which is pretty much junk imo. It will get me through this year then I'll throw a leupy on it next year.

Pirate likes this.
  4. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Has anyone seen the new CVA .45 ml good out to 300+ yards?

5. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I have not tried it but I don’t think I’d ever want a .45 caliber muzzleloader.

6. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    A buddy of mine had one, shot great but the crud ring was horrible!
    It was the optima, he shot power belt bullets and you had to clean every time.
    I believe he was shooting 777 powder. I had a 36 caliber once and it was hard to keep clean and reload.