Cva and traditions

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by Lounative14, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Lounative14

Lounative14 Fawn

Sep 20, 2015
    I was at the local walmart yesturday and found some good deals on different ML. I almost pulled the trigger on one but decided to hold off and do some searching on these other models. Was going to buy a cva wolf blued with fiber optic sights for 165, they also had a traditions g4 pursuit in ss w/fiber sights for 270, cva Optima ss scoped packages for 340-380, and a cva wolf ss scoped package for 240. I know the wolf can be a decent shooter but haven't heard much about the other rifles. Loved the way the traditions and optima felt in my hands..looking for some feedback on the above models. Will probably be shooting whichever rifle I get inside 150 yds and be using .44 cal 240g xtp bullets. Thanks

2. Pirate

Pirate Spike

Aug 11, 2016
    Kinston, NC
    The Optima is a step above the Wolf. I have had one for probably 10 years and it is a quality muzzleloader. Not sure about the scope that comes on the combo. I would rather put a better quality scope on it than what comes with the combo. Personally, if money is an issue, i would buy the Wolf and put a $200 scope on it than the Optima combo for the same money. If money is not an issue, I would buy the Optima and put a better scope on it. Have not shot the Traditions so can't speak to those.

3. Lounative14

Lounative14 Fawn

Sep 20, 2015
    Ended up finding a traditions vortek strikerfire on sale at rural king for 200$ came with a scope which is pretty much junk imo. It will get me through this year then I'll throw a leupy on it next year.

Pirate likes this.
  4. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 10 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Has anyone seen the new CVA .45 ml good out to 300+ yards?

5. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I have not tried it but I don’t think I’d ever want a .45 caliber muzzleloader.

6. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    A buddy of mine had one, shot great but the crud ring was horrible!
    It was the optima, he shot power belt bullets and you had to clean every time.
    I believe he was shooting 777 powder. I had a 36 caliber once and it was hard to keep clean and reload.

7. savagehunter

savagehunter Fawn

May 28, 2019
    glasgow ky
    CVA USED TO BE GOOD BUT THEY SOLD OUT TO BPI THEY ARE JUNK NOW I HAD A NEW OPTIMA 2 YEARS AGO DID;NT SHOOT WROTH A #### I GOT A BUCKSTALKER WILL OUT SHOOT THAT JUNK OPTIMA I HAD..

8. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Thats funny because I have had my CVA Acura MR for a bit better than two years and it is the best shouldering, best trigger and best shooting muzzleloader that I have shot. It is a joy to pack in the woods. If I don't anticipate taking a 200 plus yard shot in deer season I will always pack this rifle. Cant say enough good about it.

wildcatfan likes this.
  9. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    My optima will cut holes at 100 yards . I also have a cva sidelock hawken that will do the same as long as you feed it patch and ball. The Optima likes Hornady .45s with a sabot and 80 grains of powder. I've shot patch and ball through it also and it shoots them quite well. I haven't really got all caught up in most of these new bullets I just haven't seen the benefit for the expense.

muddhunter likes this.
  10. Grago

Grago 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    I had a optima cut holes at a 100 yards have a accura v2 cuts holes 100 yards blackhorn 209 100 grains 265 hornady bullet in green harvester sabot winchester 209 primer its just whatever a person wants i guess

11. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    I purchased two Wolf muzzleloading rifles last year from Walmart on discount...I offered the sporting goods manager $100 each for the $240 stainless scoped versions and she accepted...

I offered her another $100 for a Remington 1187 20 gauge compact (Walmart price was $484) and she turned me down... :(

Find the right manager who is wanting to move surplus inventory and you can make a good deal...

The Wolf rifles are good shooters (but you have to find "the load" for them--and they can vary quite a bit)...

12. Regulator623

Regulator623 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2006
    Eastern Kentucky
    Just bought a Traditions Pursuit G4 today at Walmart on impulse, $139 on clearance. Good feeling rifle.

xbokilla and HCDH66 like this.
  13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I bought a Pursuit UL package a few years back on sale and love it. People say the factory scopes are junk but I like the one that came on mine it’s a 3.5x10x44 and got the low light reticles. My only knock against it is that it doesn’t clean up like I want it to but that’s probably me, not the gun.

Regulator623 likes this.