Cutting Tobacco and Lunch Time..........

RDL270

Cyber-Hunter
Apr 14, 2003
Fern Creek KY
The last meal topic got me thinking about when I used to cut tobacco years ago and the meals that were laid out for lunch (dinner) depending on where I was cutting.

Fried chicken, meat loaf, mashed potatoes, greens, deviled eggs, stewed tomatoes, mac and cheese, cucumbers and onions, corn bread and gallons of sweet tea. Not sure how I made it back in the field after all that but man was it good. Oh yeah and the desserts.......banana pudding, fried pies, cobblers........geesh.

inchr48

10 pointer
May 14, 2013
NW Indiana
Same for me growing up when baling hay or even butchering in the Winter. Whole neighborhood involved. Men working outside, women cooking, kids learning. Great times!

nwest

12 pointer
Dec 30, 2003
North East of Nattyville
Worked for a guy one time that brought cold (out of the fridge) hamburgers to us to eat while baling hay. When he showed up with them three of us asked to have a check cut right there.

mwezell

12 pointer
Jan 22, 2006
Auburn, KY
When we were farming pretty big, we had about 1000 acres total with 200 acres of alfalfa that all got square baled, couple hundred hogs and a few beef cattle...after the milk barn burned. Monday thru Thursday my grandmother cooked a big spread of good ol' country cooking...all the fixins for anywhere between 5 and 15+ people. She did this every day except Friday and Sunday. We had sandwiches on Fridays..as that was the day she sold and delivered fresh eggs from her laying hens...Had to fend for ourself on Sunday but she'd rather we were in church anyway. I wish it were like that now! She could cook like nobody's business and did it all the time, it seemed like. Best mountain oysters ever!
Before I was old enough to remember, she helped my grand dad on the farm. What ever happened to those days of hard working, good cooking women? I sure miss her and Pap and would give anything to sit and talk with them again.
I don't know how I ever made it back to the field some of those days either. Of course back then, my stomach was an iron pot and I could eat anything and everything without worry...Anymore, I pay dearly for eating a lot of things that I really like...especially the way I like to eat them.

EKYridgerunner

10 pointer
Sep 13, 2010
Only had the pleasure to work tobacco one time.

Bologna, mayonnaise, and a slice of cheese.

The only break in the hay field is switching wagons or something breaks.

On those days, I look forward to supper like thanksgiving.

KYBH4Life

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
You guys were spoiled all we ever got was lunch meat and ice tea.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk
Hell, all I ever got was ice water or water with lemons in it. Although one uncle did provide us with all the Milwaukee's Best Light we could drink on the ride to the barn and back out. On a real hot day, it's best to stick with water.

chris149

12 pointer
Jun 17, 2009
KY
Same here that is the only thing I miss about working on the farms mainly tobacco and messing with sq bales.

The last meal topic got me thinking about when I used to cut tobacco years ago and the meals that were laid out for lunch (dinner) depending on where I was cutting.

Fried chicken, meat loaf, mashed potatoes, greens, deviled eggs, stewed tomatoes, mac and cheese, cucumbers and onions, corn bread and gallons of sweet tea. Not sure how I made it back in the field after all that but man was it good. Oh yeah and the desserts.......banana pudding, fried pies, cobblers........geesh.

baknblack

12 pointer
Jan 30, 2014
Henry County
The meals I miss. The tobacco, not so much, lol. I did bale about 100 square bales this summer. The rest 150 round bales. And that was weekends mostly. The 40 hr a week job pays the bills. I just keep a few beef cattle going to have something to do if I live long enough to retire.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

KYDEERCHASR

10 pointer
Aug 29, 2005
marion county

we must have cut some of the same places. the meals some of these farmers wives would put out was amazing.

KYBH4Life

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
No women were around whenever I worked on a farm. ...except my cousin and she was throwing bales and tobacco with the rest of us

Munson

12 pointer
Dec 24, 2011
Natural Bridge
I had a cousin a few years older with drivers license...we would go somewhere every day after school and cut/house, hay whatever was ready. Don't recall ever eating till supper. Funny now but not so much at the time we had the last load heading to the barn. The tractor driver was the farmers nephew who didn't do shit. He had to many budweisers by then and got to close to the gate post breaking 6-10 inches off about every stick on one side of the the wagon. Talk about PO'd!

Last edited:

Brsutton86

12 pointer
Sep 19, 2009
Harrodsburg, KY
Ham and cheese sandwiches with tea and water for us. Grandmother didnt skimp on the ham though. I dont miss tobacco but I do wish lots more kids grew up like that, and learned how to work instead of play video games. Tobacco, hay, and cattle bought me my first truck among many other things.

300winmag

12 pointer
Sep 1, 2009
Taylorsville
Cold Mt. Dew and balogna and cheese sandwiches on the tailgate, then back to work. The more sticks you cut the more money you made. Then another cold Mt. Dew and a dip in the Licking river to cool off before heading in.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Most of the people I cut for and hauled hay for year to year fed us well..... Big spread with roast, or chicken, or BBQ and all the trimmings. Some took us to the local grocer and bought whatever we wanted.... I used to kill a deer for my aunt and uncle every year... They fed their tobacco and hay hands deer everyday.

Latest posts