Cutting Costs With Food Plots?

6 point 92

6 pointer
Nov 13, 2012
With rising consumer prices, what is everybody's thoughts on improving their food plot game this year? I have always been a big fan of small secluded plots, most of mine are fall plots such as turnips, wheat, and rye. I like to put them out on a budget lol.This year is going to be extra hard on the pockets, with corn and mineral prices so high. Is a food plot in your plans to cut feed costs?

120+

12 pointer
Aug 22, 2006
You can't get there from here.
With rising consumer prices, what is everybody's thoughts on improving their food plot game this year? I have always been a big fan of small secluded plots, most of mine are fall plots such as turnips, wheat, and rye. I like to put them out on a budget lol.This year is going to be extra hard on the pockets, with corn and mineral prices so high. Is a food plot in your plans to cut feed costs?
I won't be doing anything different except maybe not buying as much corn if the prices are high. I've accumulated enough cameras so I won't be buying any of those either. Batteries and gas will be my two biggest costs.

6 point 92

6 pointer
Nov 13, 2012
I run a feed and farm supply. July always seems to tell the tale, but I see corn around $9.50-10.00. Thats just my opinion. I have talked with a lot of guys coming in. Most do not plan on changing their plans either.

DH13

12 pointer
Jan 13, 2012
Shelby county
Like I always do. Small plot patches. Clovers wheat rye and other stuff. I buy seed after season gets close to ending. So I got plenty I bought in December to plant in August. Corn I dont put out. My son does but dont know if he will with the price of it.

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
My long-term plan is persimmon, white oak, Burr oak, and Dunstan Chestnut.
I get seedlings by the hundred each year but id pay good money for some 5 gallon trees. It’s tough knowing that I’m not going to see the fruits of my labor till I’m 60 years old. Paying for a dozen trees that will produce in five years would be worth it to me

keeruss8

8 pointer
Jun 19, 2016
Marrowbone
I stopped feeding corn last year. I planted my whole place to a mix of things this year. About 11 acres. Didn't do any fertilizer. I did lime this past winter.

6 point 92

6 pointer
Nov 13, 2012
I get seedlings by the hundred each year but id pay good money for some 5 gallon trees. It’s tough knowing that I’m not going to see the fruits of my labor till I’m 60 years old. Paying for a dozen trees that will produce in five years would

I get seedlings by the hundred each year but id pay good money for some 5 gallon trees. It’s tough knowing that I’m not going to see the fruits of my labor till I’m 60 years old. Paying for a dozen trees that will produce in five years would be worth it to me
Wonder where a man might come up with some larger trees?

flyingnectar

6 pointer
Oct 30, 2014
Metcalfe County

You on the right track. There is a Chinese proverb about a man that plants trees he will never sit under understands the real meaning of life.