Custom Blend Food Plot Seed

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by KyHillyBilly, Mar 5, 2017.

1. slicked-it

slicked-it 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2008
    Looking good!! Hopefully you get a good stand growing!!

rlb165 likes this.
  2. KyHillyBilly

KyHillyBilly 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2013
    That does look good. Is the first year of things?

3. rlb165

rlb165 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Thanks Slicked-it and KyHillyBilly.
    Yes, that was last Fall, and my first attempt at Throw & Mow. To be honest, I couldn't believe how good it did at first, especially the clover and chicory. But, between the drought and the record (for us) number of deer we had here this year, it never really filled in like I'd hoped. I wish I'd put in an exclusion cage in each plot, but I didn't.
    If Throw and Mow interests you, there is a guy that goes by the name "Crimson and Camo" who posts on a couple of different forums. He's does experiments and posts the results, good AND bad, plus, he's really good at answering questions.

4. rlb165

rlb165 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
  5. KyHillyBilly

KyHillyBilly 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2013
    Thanks for the links and info on the youtube channel.

rlb165 likes this.
  6. hootowlman

hootowlman 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2007
    I've been reading a lot on throw and mow. But haven't read a exact step by step on the method. I'd love to give it a try. It sure would be easier if it works. Has anyone got a link to the method? Do you spray then seed then mow? Or seed then mow no spray? Any advice would be appreciated. I have a few plots I had beans on last year that I'd like to try the throw and mow on with oats and a turnip brassica blend. It was tilled and such last year over grown now so please post step by step to get the best results.

7. rlb165

rlb165 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Crimson and Camo goes by CNC on the aldeer forum.
    Here is another thread he started on Throw and Mow:

http://www.aldeer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1338873&page=1

As far as step-by-step instructions, the only place I've seen that is in Steve Bartylla's latest book, White-tailed Deer Management and Habitat Improvement. (Note: I wish this book had been available years ago. It would have saved me YEARS of frustration/depression over lack of deer here. Seriously). He calls it Poor Man's No-Till, or something like that.
    I've only done Throw and Mow one time, so I'm still learning about what's gonna work best here. Last year I did this:

Soil tested. Limed and fertilized accordingly. Sprayed glyphosate. Spot sprayed areas I missed. Waited for everything to turn brown. Sowed seed at 125% recommended rate. Bush hogged brown vegetation down. (There's an art to this. You want this "thatch" spread evenly. Too thick, seeds don't germinate. Too thin, seeds don't germinate. On the old QDMA Forum, somebody actually made and posted a diagram of the pattern they mowed in. They were mowing with a riding mower instead of a bush hog.) Prayed for rain.

8. slicked-it

slicked-it 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2008
    This is the same field that I posted pics of earlier (the one with the tractor in it). The oats have come up!! I'll post some pics here in a bit of a little wildlife enjoying the new food source.

Attached Files:

rlb165 likes this.
  9. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    Slick, you best shoot them turkeys. Out there eating up the deer food!

10. slicked-it

slicked-it 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2008
    :D:D
    fingers crossed!! gonna try again with the oldest if he's interested.

11. Georgia Transplant

Georgia Transplant 10 pointer

May 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    Your food plot is looking good! Congrats to you!
    I've got 2 food plots of my own (1 is 1 1/2 acres and the other is 2 acres and both are 7 years old. From the start, I dabbled with different Fall mixtures until I finally planted red and white clover a few years ago. The deer and turkey seem to like the clover best. I usually frost them the end of February every year. Both are looking great! Good luck to you on yours!

12. Georgia Transplant

Georgia Transplant 10 pointer

May 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky

13. slicked-it

slicked-it 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2008
    post some pics!! getting to where I enjoy the food plot pics as much as the critter pics!!

14. slicked-it

slicked-it 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2008
    Here is an updated pic of the field I posted earlier. I've got a mineral site out and just positioned the camera so I could use the field as the backdrop. The oats are now 10-12" tall and the clover is coming up good. The goal is for the oats to "nurse the clover along". Once the oats are finished, we will mow them off and then spray the clover field to control the weeds that weren't choked out by the oats. We had a great opening weekend turkey hunt in this field. My 7 year old missed a jake and then an hour later I screwed him up on two big toms. He was pumped at all the action but if I'm being honest, I almost cried cause it was my fault.... At that time they were wearing the field out but now that the oats are taller, they have stopped using it. Between the mineral and the oats, the deer are in there constantly. So fun to watch it all come together! Can't thank K9 enough for all his guidance!!

Attached Files: