Cursed farm?

Velvet ears

8 pointer
Nov 6, 2013
West KY
The lady who owns it told us we could do whatever we wanted to down there. She worked at the school we went to and worked with my mom for years so she’s a family friend now. There used to be a guy who cropped it. I’ve thought about getting someone to crop it again for free food plots.
We have a farmer who grain farms our fields. It's much cheaper on me plus we make a few bucks. Only bad thing is most of the crops are gone before gun season. My fields are bare now since the farmer thrashed the beans 3 weeks ago.

FOWLER2671

12 pointer
Sep 11, 2009
Evicted from Aintry'
The problem with 140 acres is that the deer probably cover 500 acres... I hunt the same sized place. I have passed on a buck thinking "one more year"... He crossed the property line and lasted less then ten more minutes...

One option is to talk to the surrounding hunters. Maybe agree to let the bucks grow up and only shoot so many does.

FF/EMT516

8 pointer
Nov 22, 2020
Blackrock, Ky
There hasn’t been a doe taken off the place that I’m aware of in 3-4 years. I know the people who hunt the neighboring farm and they’ll shoot about anything, there’s no changing their minds. Lol

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
You may want to reread. One nice deer killed there.

This link explains more about all:

• Improve Your Land for Wildlife
morewildlife2.jpg

Assisting Private Landowners with Wildlife Management

https://fw.ky.gov/Wildlife/Pages/Improve-Your-Land-for-Wildlife.aspx

James Scott White

6 pointer
Oct 17, 2020
Rowan County
We have a farmer who grain farms our fields. It's much cheaper on me plus we make a few bucks. Only bad thing is most of the crops are gone before gun season. My fields are bare now since the farmer thrashed the beans 3 weeks ago.
Talk him into planting clover around the outside or in pockets. Works for a great cover crop too to add nitrogen for the grain.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
I don’t known how it lays out but I hunt zone 1 and we go plenty of trips without seeing a single deer. Several factors that hurt us are: only 1 side to enter (surrounded by neighboring land on the 3 other sides), the land is mostly a “walk through” - not very many resident deer, mostly wooded and not great food resources, we are predictable, pressure-us and surrounding properties. I don’t know what to do. We used to see more in the earlier years that we hunted this place so I know pressure, even though we’re only weekend warriors for the most part is a huge factor. It’s 100 acres. I’ve never owned a farm/land so that seemed like a lot of property but now that we’ve hunted it for 13 years doesn’t seem so big. They literally have us pegged. We can sit all day and see nothing. Leave and I’ll get pics on camera within the next hour.

baknblack

12 pointer
Jan 30, 2014
Henry County
Have any of y’all ever killed deer doing that?
I used to kill a lot of deer when I was younger still hunting. I'd take 4 or 5 steps, stop and look hard for 15 minutes, 4 or 5 more steps, repeat. I've walked up on a lot of deer doing that. Actually seen some bedded before they saw me. If my farm had a level spot on it I'd still do it. My ankles and knees kill me now if I try to still hunt the hills and hollers.

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
If the neighbors are shooting everything then your place should have deer on it trying to stay hid, sounds like you hunt alot of the open spots.
Move into the thickets or ask someone who can pick better spots to stop by and walk it with you.

Latest posts