cumberland river boats

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by shadow, Jun 4, 2013.

1. shadow

shadow Fawn

Dec 12, 2003
    Morehead, KY.
    What is the smallest boat you would fish on the Cumberland? I have a 10' john boat with trolling motor only and would like to try for some trout on the fly rod there. I was wondering because I saw a couple of youtube vids of people fishing out of ?? kyacks?? there.

2. HUNTZVT

HUNTZVT 12 pointer

I've fished it out of a canoe and kayak. It's perfectly safe if you know what you're doing.

3. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    I've floated the Cumberland several times in my Yak. I'm not sure how a 10' jon with just a trollin motor would be. I assume you're gonna put in and float down river not try and stay in one area and return back to your vehicle.

4. crossfire

crossfire 8 pointer

Jun 13, 2006
    Mayfield, Ky
    I've floated it a couple of times with my little 8' pond hopper and trolling motor; took out at the arch. It always helped me breathe a little easier to put in well before they began generating and enjoy the float for an hour or two. Shortly after you hear the sirens, your drift will pick up quite a bit, but still not so bad you can't control the nose.