Crow Season 2013-2014

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by crowhunter, Aug 29, 2013.

1. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Hit the hills after work, now that we have a smidgen of sunshine at the end of the day. Called two in, the first was a high flyer not willing to drop below the treetops, but the second came in with his flaps out, looking for trouble. He found some.

Crow2-24-14_zpsf5e782a0.jpg

The little home brew sound system shown on Kentucky Afield seems to have enough volume. It's cheap, light and easy to put together, and a single 9 volt is a lot cheaper to run than a handful of AA's the other systems use.

2. F250Stroke

F250Stroke 10 pointer

[​IMG] we got these last weekend, last hunt of the season for us!

3. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I smacked another one down in the snow yesterday before nightfall. Had three come in and perch in the trees around the call, and I had to wait until one eased over a few trees toward me and came into range. I suppose when he went down in a cloud of feathers it educated the other two, but maybe they'll forget his hard lesson by next season.

Wonder how long they stay call shy after a bad experience...

4. F250Stroke

F250Stroke 10 pointer

Not sure about how long they stay call shy but we hunted the place in the pic above twice. We killed 30 in Oct. I believe it was, and 18 last weekend. We should have killed twice that many but our shooting wasn't as good this time. We have around 30 decoys, some movers and some stationary. We have a blind that we can roll out if we don't have sufficient cover, which is not very often. I love it and hate to see the season go out. I think we have killed around 120, give or take a few, this season. Looking forward till next year.

5. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Please describe your decoys and call setup. I'm shooting in ridgetop timber and not using decoys, just pass shooting the singles when they happen by and check out the racket. A good decoy spread would probably give closer shots.

6. F250Stroke

F250Stroke 10 pointer

We spread our decoys out leaving plenty of room in the spread for the crows to land if they commit to the decoys. We sit our call out about 20 yards and the decoys at about 30 or so. We want just a few birds at a time to come in because if you get a big flock at one time they don't come back once the shooting starts. We have found that other than the "crow fight", the more calm your calls sound, the better it works. Pick up the dead birds and keep them out of sight, seems to help. We use a FoxPro and it has several options for calls but the "crow" sound and "crow fight" seem to be the best for us. If the birds come in and circle and land in near by trees, we use the crow fight and they almost always come back. http://www.luckyduck.com/game-bird.html has the best decoys, we use the three pack decoys and the movers! Try to find a fly way that a lot of crows use through out the day, camo up, sit up close to the fly way and Good luck!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014