Crow Season 2013-2014

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by crowhunter, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Chessie202

Chessie202 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    Harrison Co.
    I have a good friend that comes up from Tenn. to crow hunt just about every year. He is real serious about it. We build blinds and all kinds of stuff. I go out and scout before he gets here so we can be in there flight path, seems you can kill more numbers that way. He's got a home made caller, uses two big stadium speakers, car amp, 12V battery and MP3 player I think sometimes we can call crows from 2 or 3 counties. location and being hidden is extremely important as is decoy placement etc.

2. GoBlue82

GoBlue82 6 pointer

Feb 6, 2013
    Boone Co.
    Just watched that episode last night on the DVR. Looks like y'all had a good time even with the weather.

3. crowhunter

crowhunter 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2012
    Jackson & Winchester
    DSCN5418.jpg
    Shot this one in Powell County with my neighbor, on his grandpa's farm. Had a bunch come in, but all were flying high.

4. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I'll say. Them three over your right shoulder are gettin' away.

5. Xcal1ber

Xcal1ber 12 pointer

Jul 16, 2011
    Couple ridges over
    Me and my buddies have been 3 times this year and have killed 31 all together. Been fun so far, as is every year. Remember if you are in the mountains to get up high, because most of the time they are only going to get as low as the tallest tree on the mountain. If you are hunting fields try to get somewhere with short trees, and get in a place where the crows won't swarm you as soon as you turn the caller on. You just want 2 or 3 crows come in at a time, they seem to commit to the set up better and you won't educate so many crows at once. You have to be covered very very well. Even if it means less shooting lanes it will still pay off. One last thing is to turn that caller down the closer they get. It seems like you will spook them a lot of times if you are blasting the call when they are circling your set.

6. Morning honey doo's are done, heading out for a few hours this morning.

Duck hunting buddy is up in NY to see his Ma and Pa.

So riding solo today in the woods instead of being on the water.

7. Gun7alk

Gun7alk 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    Crowhunter I didn't know that was you on that episode of kyafield. I watched it a few weeks ago on youtube. That's pretty cool. Maybe you'll get a chance at another show and have better luck. Fun to watch nonetheless.

Gonna head out in a few and hit a few farms around the house. Can't decide on where I wanna set up first though. Should have been scouting more. There birds here but not any big numbers. Still waiting on this farmer to cut his corn, maybe they'll be some more when he does, hopefully it'll be before season.

Here's a few from early season.

[​IMG]

8. crowhunter

crowhunter 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2012
    Jackson & Winchester
    Me and Trustme went out yesterday after work and got 4 in the snow. Trustme put on a shooting clinic.

9. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    They were falling like big black snow flakes.

10. Gun7alk

Gun7alk 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    Hey crowhunter what hand calls are on your lanyard?

11. crowhunter

crowhunter 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2012
    Jackson & Winchester
    The one call is an old Primos Power Crow and the other I can't remember what brand it is, but I bought it at Sportsmans Warehouse in Lexington. My buddy has a Cane Creek crow call that sounds better than any of mine.

12. Gun7alk

Gun7alk 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    That old power crow will work. Used to have one of those. And that other call looks like a MAD call that I have. I've called them in with it. Thought about buying one of those Gibson calls from the crowmart but ended up ordering a Faulks c-50 and some GHG fully flocked decoys. Hopefully I'll get some good hunts in with them before the end of season.

13. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Crowhunter bagged another one.

PeytonClaimsAnotherOne_zps071df19d.jpg

14. crowhunter

crowhunter 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2012
    Jackson & Winchester
    I didn't see that thing on there when I left work. I stopped by my moms and when I came out I spotted it and laughed. I was cruising down the Mtn. Parkway when the crow broke a wing and decided to ride on the hood the rest of the way home. I fixed him back when I got the house hoping my wife wouldn't see it and since it is her vehicle I thought it would be funny if she drove around and didn't know it was on there. It would embarrass her to death. She did spot it before she went anywhere though.
    photo (7).jpg