Crow Season 2013-2014

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by crowhunter, Aug 29, 2013.

1. crowhunter

crowhunter 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2012
    Jackson & Winchester
    Women dig the crow hunter!

2. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler

Why is there another man in the pic then?:confused:

3. crowhunter

crowhunter 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2012
    Jackson & Winchester
    Got this single with my Mossberg 500. I've killed a lot of critters using it. Got the gun when I was 16.
    photo (6).jpg

4. Quickdraw Limpsalot

Quickdraw Limpsalot 12 pointer

Sep 16, 2005
    Larue Co.
    In all honesty, it was under 15 minutes from the shot to eating it. I'd been wanting to try one for the hell of it and my neighbor decided he would give it a whirl too so we bagged one, then split the breast open & fileted off the two halves. We then rinsed it off well (smells like very strong poultry) and tossed the crow medallions on the grill with some salt and pepper. I overcooked it (somewhat intentionally since it was the first time) so it was a bit tough, but the grain, color and (most importantly) the flavor were almost impossible to tell from beef. My neighbor agreed. I'll definitely eat it again.

5. nwest

nwest 12 pointer

Did that guy in the middle Ugly em to death?

6. tyshe17

tyshe17 12 pointer

May 4, 2007
    I'd like pics in the cooking forum of anyone who takes this on...

7. Quickdraw Limpsalot

Quickdraw Limpsalot 12 pointer

Sep 16, 2005
    Larue Co.
    If I ever get time to kill some more, I'll try to make sure I document it.

8. F250Stroke

F250Stroke 10 pointer

yes, and he tears them up pretty bad too!

9. nwest

nwest 12 pointer

I worked with him for several years, heck of a good guy.

10. F250Stroke

F250Stroke 10 pointer

He is a great guy. I have known him since we were teenagers. I hunted with him, his brother, and dad. His dad and brother have both passed away, hated to see them go. Where did you work with him at, Bardstown or Bowling Green or somewhere else?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  11. nwest

nwest 12 pointer

Bardstown, knew his brother too. Scott was about as good as they come.

Smack that big ugly guy for me me t time you see him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

12. F250Stroke

F250Stroke 10 pointer

I was a pall bearer at Scotts funeral. He was the best. I think of him often when I am in the woods. People like Scott, are few and far between..

13. F250Stroke

F250Stroke 10 pointer

Good hunt today with a friend
    [​IMG]

14. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I took a walk with the sound system this afternoon, found about 30 vultures ganged up down in the creek picking the carcass of a young doe. After the buzzards took off, I figured the crows would be nearby as well, so I set up on the doe and in seconds had 5 crows overhead, along with a dozen circling buzzards. Never fired a shot, as they were all way too high for 7.5's to be effective. I can't get crows to come down in the holler with me, so I shut the music off and walked up on the ridge and tried it again. A single came in wide, circled a few times at 50 yards, then left. I shut the music off, and immediately the crow came back for a flyover. I dropped him with one shot.

Never saw or heard another bird, but they're still around the place. Their time is coming.

15. crowhunter

crowhunter 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2012
    Jackson & Winchester
    DSCN5379.jpg
    Had a fun hunt with Tim Farmer a couple of weeks ago. It rained just about all morning and only got to do a couple of sets with him before he left. Had lots of birds come in, but all of them were a mile high. Still got a couple dead ones in the bad weather.