$$$ Crossbows

Discussion in 'Crossbow Forum' started by mac0492, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

About the only difference in the speed with crossbows is they up the poundage and shoot lighter shafts. Where a normal poundage was 150 it is now 170 on several. Used to shoot aluminum bolts, mainly 2219 Eastons. Now everyone shoots carbon bolts that are much lighter. I agree with the company's thinking they have a market for the newest and fastest out there and some guys fall for that trap and have money to spend. Until you get a crossbow faster than the speed of sound the deer are still going to react before the bolt hits them. If you look at my thread on the old Tenpoint Titan you may notice the impact spot being a inch or so lower than center it is set up that way. First reaction to sound to a deer is drop, think about that.

2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Does the titan have a scope on it?

3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Yes...all the crosshairs (4 lines 20-30-40-50) move at the same time. Set 20 and the rest are darn close out to 40, 50 has a bit more drop. Not sure what speed it gets with the carbon bolts and lighter heads but didn't seem to make a big difference. I would limit my shots to 40 and under on a live animal same as I did with a vertical bow.

4. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    If the crossbow is impacting lower than your aiming pt, then you set it like that not the factory in Asia. As far as the other lines, don't think they're going to be dead on. First, cheap scopes don't put the engineering into the design. Second, several variables come into play; speed, bolt weight, broadhead design, temperature, altitude, humidity, etc. and affect POI. The scopes I have seen only have an adjustment for speed.

mac0492 likes this.
  5. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    Wow, my homemade stickbows are looking better all the time! Hard to believe they can sell for that kind of money. I imagine compounds are getting pricy also. And here I thought Beef was high.

6. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Tenpoint scope that came with the Titan. They come from the factory set at the speed the bow shoots but any changes such as lighter weight shafts and heads can make a difference. That was a shock to me when I shot the Bloodline carbons with the 100 grain Muzzy it did not hit higher that with the old setup of the Easton aluminum 2219's and 125 grain Muzzy's. I know any shot 30 yards and under it shoots darn close to flat so I just figure the top crosshair is under 20 yards. You could really dial one in if the crosshairs move indivisible of the rest but the adjustment is just not set up that way. Turn the nob and they all move the same distance, both up and down and side to side.

7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I took my Parker to get a new string put on today. I shot a Ravin. Have to say, pretty sweet. A little more than I want to pay but pretty sweet. I’ve window shopped a few but first time handling one plus had a Ravin rep explaining the features. Definitely some new and improved features that other crossbows don’t have. Still...a lot of money!

8. Pirate

Pirate Spike

Aug 11, 2016
    NC
    To sight in a Ravin, you start at 50 yds and get dead on and then come back to 20 yds. You adjust the speed calibration knob on the scope until you are dead on at 20 yds and then you are supposed to be on from 20-100 yds. Mine is good until about 70 yds but then it's about 3 inches high from there on. Not sure how the other brands do it. I guess at those speeds and distances 5-10 fps can make a big difference.

9. hossamassey

hossamassey 6 pointer

Jan 18, 2006
    I just can't justify paying the price they want for a new crossbow. Mine is 5 years old and it will kill everything in North America with it.

10. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Heck, depending on what you got they weren’t cheap 5 years ago either! Issue is that the market has blew up and there’s so many. I just sold my old one so I’m in the market for one.

11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Which Ravin do you have? I shot one at a shop a couple weeks ago. Of course, it was only 20 yds. I’ve thought about the R10 package as it’s the most affordable but like some other crossbows too that are cheaper.

12. Pirate

Pirate Spike

Aug 11, 2016
    NC
    I have the R9 which is one of the first models. Really looking at the new R26 but hard to justify two of them lol.

xbokilla likes this.
  13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I just got a Mission. Didn’t want to put the kind of money into the Sub1 so found a good deal on a Charge Package. Haven’t shot it yet but it’s a sweet looking setup.

14. Bowonly86

Bowonly86 6 pointer

Apr 16, 2019
    Pendleton county
    Most people I have seen competing in 3D comp with crossbow use a standard rifle scope and the hha setup with the wheel and a sight tape just like a compound just dial to the yardage

15. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    My Ten Point Titan was top of the line when I got it in 2012 for $ 670 or so with a Steady Eddy , the new prices are painful, especially when I've had such great success with this setup. I won a cheaper model on FB so I guess I could swap both and my grandchild for a new Ten Point !