Crossbow Compromise Reached???

aceoky

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2003
W KY
Joint Press Release - Crossbow Deer & Turkey Season

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife Resources
League of Kentucky Sportsmen
Joint News Release

Season Dates Proposed for Kentucky’s
2006-07 Fall Crossbow Deer and Turkey Season
Immediate Release Contact: Norm Minch
March 10, 2006 (800) 852-0942.434
Frankfort, KY – Three key legislators, the League of Kentucky Sportsmen, bowhunters groups, and the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources (KDFWR) have helped finalize proposed dates for the 2006-2007 crossbow hunting season for deer and wild turkey.
KDFWR Commissioner Jon Gassett, Commerce Cabinet Secretary George Ward, Sen. Joey Pendleton, D-Hopkinsville, Sen. Gary Tapp, R-Shelbyville, Rep. Tommy Turner, R-Somerset, The League of Kentucky Sportsmen, representatives of the United Bowhunters of Kentucky and the Kentucky Bowhunters Association and Louisville outdoor radio show host, Jim Strader, met in Frankfort this week to solidify the proposed dates.
“Crossbow season dates have been under debate for more than a year,” said Gassett, “but now we have come to an agreement that I believe will provide the additional crossbow hunting opportunity many sportsmen want, and likewise addresses concerns of some bowhunters about a fully expanded season.”
“This is a great example of how the sportsmen can interact with the Department, the League and our elected and appointed representatives to make the outdoor experience better for all sportsmen of Kentucky,” said Ronnie Wells, President of the League of Kentucky Sportsmen. “I am most appreciative that the League of Kentucky Sportsmen was able to be at the center of the negotiations and play a part in achieving this just compromise. All the involved groups have pledged to work even more closely together on issues that may arise in the future. As a result the sportsmen and sportswomen of Kentucky are more united and stronger than ever.”
The proposed opening of the crossbow season for deer is October 1. It will continue through the third full weekend in October (early muzzleloader season) and then re-open with modern gun season and continue through the end of December.
Hunters would be allowed to use crossbows for wild turkey this fall during the same time frame, as well as during the October and December shotgun turkey seasons (as in past seasons). While the bag limit of four birds remains unchanged, a new restriction for 2006 fall turkey hunting limits the number of bearded birds hunters may take to no more than one with a beard length of three inches or longer regardless of whether a shotgun, bow or crossbow is used. Fall turkey hunters are limited to a total of four birds, two of which can only be taken during the fall shotgun season.
All proposed hunting, fishing and boating regulations passed by the KDFWR Commission must gain approval from two legislative committees before becoming final. If the revised season dates and limit restriction passes legislative review, crossbow hunting for wild turkey and white-tailed deer this season would be open for approximately 30 more days each in Kentucky than in previous years. (These increases may be slightly longer or shorter, depending on calendar shifts year to year.)
The legislative review process may take 60 to 90 days to complete. Hunters are urged to check with the KDFWR Information Center at 1-800-858-1549 in mid-June to learn these final season dates, or log onto the agency website at fw.ky.gov later this summer once season regulations are fully in place.

-30-

The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources (KDFWR) manages, regulates, enforces and promotes responsible use of all fish and wildlife species, their habitats, public wildlife areas and waterways for the benefit of those resources and for public enjoyment. KDFWR, an agency of the Commerce Cabinet, has an economic impact to the state of $4.8 billion annually. For more information on KDFWR, visit our web site at fw.ky.gov.

aceoky

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2003
W KY
Prohunter1776 said:

I never admitted this at all Ace, are you mistaken or are you lying on purpose?

I didn't know to whom I was responding "you" or Tim........fwiw

I edited it "just for you", hope that makes you very happy.

Last edited:

aceoky

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2003
W KY
I wonder.......

You know, I've seen plenty of "back patting", and such going on; but something is missing......

Oh, yes, the all important question has not been asked.......

WHY wasn't this done a year ago????:confused:

That would have avoided so much "division", and many other negative things??????

No matter how great you think it is, or how glad you are that it's now "over", keep in mind, this could have been "over", LAST March.....

maxcam

12 pointer
Mar 29, 2005
A final thought.....

There is one good thing to come from this I think?!

For awhile folks will be very ingaged in what takes place on many differenct levels......

I am happy to see the LKS played an important role in the solution and that more sportsmens and women are now interested in whats going on outside the woods!

As for me it came not a moment too soon.....The fish are biting and Ive got shotguns to pattern and can always use a little more practice with my turkey calls.......I hope if ever I meet any of you guys that I havent met through this ordeal, we can sit down and share a lie or two and talk about things that bring us to the woods and on the water......

To anyone that I have offended, and I am sure there have been more than a few, I sincerely appologize.

Respectfully

Doug Moutardier

BUCKHEAVEN

6 pointer
Aug 30, 2005
maxcam said:
There is one good thing to come from this I think?!

For awhile folks will be very ingaged in what takes place on many differenct levels......

I am happy to see the LKS played an important role in the solution and that more sportsmens and women are now interested in whats going on outside the woods!

As for me it came not a moment too soon.....The fish are biting and Ive got shotguns to pattern and can always use a little more practice with my turkey calls.......I hope if ever I meet any of you guys that I havent met through this ordeal, we can sit down and share a lie or two and talk about things that bring us to the woods and on the water......

To anyone that I have offended, and I am sure there have been more than a few, I sincerely appologize.

Respectfully

Doug Moutardier
Now that is a gentlemen with class.

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
Guys........I guess I'm one of those people that try to make the best of any situation and have had my share of disappointment on the expansion. I have thought many times this was over.....to only have that sentiment dashed with some new circumstances that was trying to stop it. I have like many.....done what was necessary to keep this thing alive and moving forward. I've wrote letters, sent e-mails, made phone calls, recruited members, participated in quite a few peeing matches and tried to stay on track with the goal of the UCBK. I can honestly say I was caught a little off gard by this compromise agreement but I decided to let it soak in for awhile before I commented very much.

Our objective was and always has been to gain some form of crossbow expansion and to promote crossbow hunting. We have succeeded .....maybe not in the fashion we expected....but we succeeded. We are breaking ground here. The seeds are planted and we will see it grow. We have went from 11 days dedicated to crossbows/ archery after modern firearm to appoximately 30 excluding the firearm / muzzleloading/ youth dates. If you add those dates in we can use crossbows for about 70 days of deer season. Again this may not have come about in the format we would have liked it to be......but we did come out of this with something.

This issue has consumed many of us and its time to focus on more productive aspects of the expansion. I for one harbor no ill feelings toward anyone. I have always tried to not make this a personal issue and have met many people along the way I have upmost respect for. I have come out of this with a education on legislation and the operation of the KDF&WR . I have seen the importance and have a better understanding of the LKS and the issues that face sportsmen.

I guess what I'm trying to say.....is lets put this behind us....and focus on enjoying what we got and getting more involved in the sport.

Lets keep'em sharp and put them where they belong. ;)

aceoky

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2003
W KY
JD once again an outstanding post which reflects the caliber of person that you indeed are!

While I mostly agree, there are however some questions I'll need answered, and thus far they have not been. Though not from a lack of asking those who refuse to risk answering of them ...

Last edited:

N.P.

Banned
Nov 27, 2005
Your questions that have to be anwsered before you are satisfied would be better handled in a email or PM.

Last edited by a moderator:

aceoky

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2003
W KY
They were refused to be answered in PM FYI.......

I btw have edited my post to reflect that it is not my intention to cause any hard feelings toward anyone............

And no, I'm not "instigating" anything.......

Last edited by a moderator:

awshucks

Fawn
Mar 3, 2006
mountains Arkansas
compromise

Hi Guys! This is my first post on your forum. I'm semi-disabled, visit about 14 forums. I've been following your situation for a few weeks, down here in Arkansas. I am a crossbower. FYI, about 10% of our archers use them. We have no problems, no strife, that I am aware of. I've been allowed 3 deer a year for awhile. The better hunters get the better deer, regardlesss of tools used. The real reason for this post is I just want to tell ya'll that I am very impressed how you were able to put your differences aside long enough to defeat your SB211. Giving more control to politicians is always a risky thing at best. I hope you are able to keep working together for the good of all. Congratulations and Good Hunting to all!!

aceoky

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2003
W KY
Welcome to the forum, awshucks! Thanks for the input, and I'm happy that you get to enjoy what you love to do so much!

And thanks for the positive post!

BUCKHEAVEN

6 pointer
Aug 30, 2005
aceoky said:
They were refused to be answered in PM FYI.......

I btw have edited my post to reflect that it is not my intention to cause any hard feelings toward anyone............

And no, I'm not "instigating" anything.......
A good compromise is when both sides still feel a little disappointed at the results.

gwhilikerz

Banned
Oct 16, 2004
JDMiller said:
Guys...... As some of you may have been aware......the UCBK had made a attempt recently to a compromise solution to the crossbow expansion if the opposing groups (primarily UBK & KBA) were in agreement. We put our best foot forward on this and basically received no response to the standpoint of approaching the KDF&WR to see if negotiations were realistic at this time. The UCBK withdrew from possible compromise discussions last night for lack of response within a 7 day time period and pending legislation.

The events that unfolded this afternoon is news to everyone from a UCBK stand point. Apparently the compromise was reached and accepted by the KDF&WR . The format of the expanded crossbow season is unlike the format that has been origionally offered by us. I for one have dissapointment in the lack of quality rut hunting time(last week of Oct until modern firearm) but the start date is earlier than what had been discussed in the past or I personally expected.

I think all the supporters need to look at this as a victory even though we all did not get exactly what we wanted. To be realistic.....we could have stayed exactly where we were at if SB211 were to pass and some of our opposition basically wanted no form of crossbow expansion at all. I view this as the appropriate step taken from the KDF&WR in tryng to please all sides of this issue and end the strife between sportsmen this has caused over the last year.

The UCBK will continue to support further expansion and provide a voice on issues concerning crossbows. We have to look at this as the beginning of new opportunity for the sportsmen of Kentucky. I personally would like to thank all those that have supported the UCBK and the expansion in general including the KDF&WR. Without the support or the phone calls to our legislators we might not be in a position that were in now. We will continue to monitor the situation and keep everyone informed. Again.......this is a step in the right direction. Jamie Miller

I don't want to stir the pot too much, but there is something I don't understand. From what I read in JD's post the UCBK was in negotiations about this compromise then withdrew? Then a compromise was reached between UBK, KBA, and KDFWR without UCBK being a party to the compromise.
I suppose the questions I have are: Why wasn't the UCBK involved in the final deal? Was this a failure on the part of UCBK leadership? Or did UCBK feel that nothing could be done as long as they were at the table? Or did we just witness KY politics at it's best?
Please don't misunderstand me. I am happy to get some sort of compromise and get this behind us. But, at the same time, I feel we are not being told something.

Latest posts