Cross eye dominant

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by flyingnectar, Nov 29, 2020.

1. flyingnectar

flyingnectar 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2014
    Metcalfe County
    My wife is cross eye dominant. I want her to shoot but looking for experience with this issue. Left eyed right handed.

2. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    You can learn to use non dominant eye. I learned to shoot left handed you need to make yourself look out of the right eye and do it a couple hundred times then it becomes muscle memory and you don’t even think about it. It’s not easy but I have seen people do it in military. Just takes work.

flyingnectar likes this.
  3. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Does she wear glasses? If so they make a dot that sticks to your glasses that blocks your dominant eye just enough to make the other one take over. They are big in trap shooting, don't remember the name but I'm sure some internet searching will find them.

flyingnectar and beauhunter41031 like this.
  4. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    You can use any type of tape to block left eye.

5. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
  6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Eye patch, dot or tape on shooting glasses.
    My wife is rt handed, left eye dominant.

flyingnectar likes this.
  7. captfire

captfire 6 pointer

Oct 13, 2015
    a guy that hunts with me has a eye patch he uses...

8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Just close the eye. No patch necessary. What am I missing?

9. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Im cross eye dominant. Ill never be a special operator, a sniper, or a 3 gun champion, but i can kill the hell out of dove ducks geese turkey deer elk and unwanted intruders. Use both eyes to acquire target, close an eye when aiming, squeeze the trigger. Or learn to shoot left handed from the get go.

Lady Hunter and cedar ridge like this.
  10. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Shoot left handed.

Recurve77 likes this.
  11. NOCAMST

NOCAMST 6 pointer

Oct 9, 2017
    Central ky
    I’m left eyed but right handed as well. I have always just closed the non dominate eye to correct the issue. Although I do wish I could see thru my peep sight with both eyes open but you learn to deal with it.

12. Recurve77

Recurve77 10 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    I am right handed and did everything right handed including shooting guns and bows for the 40+ years of my life. I used to shoot my bow by closing my left eye when shooting right handed. I shot a doe in the 90’s and my shot was a 2 ft off from where I had aimed. I realized later that I had left both eyes open and unknowingly my open left eye took over during the shot. I purchased a left handed bow at the end of that season and from that point on have shot bows and guns left handed. It took no time to get used to something that was so foreign to me. Looking back I wonder how I ever shot right handed effectively all those years.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  13. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I normally shoot with both eyes open. I've had a light for my sight for a few years, but had never used it. I finally decided to try it late one evening while I was practicing. At 20 yards, I shot a foot to the left, 3 straight times. It finally dawned on me that due to the low light, my left eye was seeing the pin and that was my focus. I tried again the next evening, with my left eye closed. Bingo.

14. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Glad I'm not the only one (Archer and Recurve)......I wear contacts which are " 1 near, 1 far" or something like that....... If I shoot with both eyes open, my left eye picks up the pin and I miss by a foot !! I had the same problem turkey hunting with my shotgun. Have shot for almost 50 years with both eyes open, and it's a tough habit to break. I've missed my fair share of turkeys as a result. I keep saying I'm gonna get a patch !! I cured the shotgun issue with a red dot scope !!

15. bstickin1

bstickin1 8 pointer

Jul 1, 2005
    Rocky Hill, Kentucky
    That's what I'm thinking. I'm right handed and right eye dom but have always shot a gun left handed. I do good to pick my nose left handed so I guess it always seemed more natural to point with my good hand. I can shoot right handed but it doesn't feel right. I shoot a bow right handed and close my left eye, never used a peep. I've taught lots of people to shoot a bow that way. Never had the low light problem a peep can cause either.

Feedman likes this.