Crop damage

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Mainbeam, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Whats the deal on the crop tags. Are bucks allowed to be killed ? There piling em up beside my house and its pissing me off but not sure if theres anything i can do about it. Walked over there yesterday found three bucks right off the bat. Heard some shooting a few minutes ago and there back over there again shootin it up

trapper perry likes this.
  2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    They can kill anything damaging their crops.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  3. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Whos allowed to do the killing? I rode down there and some local teenagers are the ones doing the killing. I figure the farmer had handed the task off to the kiddos

4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    KRS 150.170 paragraph 7:
    Resident landowners, their spouses, or dependent children who kill or trap on
    their lands any wildlife causing damage to the lands or any personal property
    situated thereon shall not be required to have a hunting or trapping license and
    may do so during periods other than the open season for the particular
    species. Tenants or their dependent children residing upon the lands, or other
    persons approved by the commissioner, shall also have the same privilege.
    Upon destruction of any wildlife by the above-specified individuals, the act shall
    be reported to the department or the resident conservation officer for the
    proper disposition of the carcass. Individuals wishing to use the carcass shall
    contact personnel of the department to request a disposal tag or other
    authorizing document.

Ataulbe1 and rockhousehunter like this.
  5. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    That reading sounds like you don't need a crop damage permit per say, just kill them if they're eating your garden or something. I sure hope I'm wrong but that above sounds pretty liberal to me.

6. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm thinking it was amended a little while back to say you don't need a disposal tag if the carcass don't leave your farm.

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    they just leaving them to rot?

8. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Yes buzzards everywhere

9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    That's just sad. Is the meat not any good this time of year? Dang, what a waste.

10. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Yes , I think I would still call the game warden to have them check and see if they are killing legally .
    You can remind the officer of the 24 hour burry rule ( KRS Rule) for dead livestock . I would assume that would go for deer that have been killed .
    Piles of dead deer can cause a predator nescience problem and one could claim they are feeding bears .

11. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    You have to have deprevation tags. That particular ordinance refers to the fact that you don't need a hunting license to use deprevation tags. Also, carcasses must be left where they lay. This ensures people are shooting them purely due to deprevation of crops. If you let people keep meat, horns etc ALOT more people would apply for deprevation. I did think that the vast majority of deprevation tags were female only though. I would certainly make a call to find out.

EdLongshanks and Ataulbe1 like this.
  12. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    That's how I always heard it explained, but never knew for sure.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  13. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Years ago we received crop damage tags for a few years. At that time it was antlerless deer only could be taken. No bucks to be shot and also only shooting the deer in daylight hours. The deer must be left where it was put down. No using the meat to eat or disposing of the animal. I asked the guy we got the tags from and The theory was a dead deer laying there would possibly scare other deer out of the fields more.

bigbonner likes this.
  14. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    I asked the guy we got the tags from and The theory was a dead deer laying there would possibly scare other deer out of the fields more.

I wish they'd let us use that logic on poachers.:)

15. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    That's not how it goes. It goes just how the statute is worded.

At one time you could not move the carcass, or use it but that was changed awhile back. The carcass can be processed on the land by the owner, but if it is to be removed for processing you will need a disposal tag.

EdLongshanks likes this.