Cronk Howler and Killer Call..

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by screamin6x6, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    Possumal

If I have to knock my teeth out to get Cronk's call to work, well, I think I'll use it for target practice on a fence post. LOL

The tone break I am talking about is the call abruptly changes pitch. I can howl pretty well on other open reed calls but sure haven't got this Cronk call figured out. It reminds me of a Primos Hot Dog. It takes a lot of air and tone breaks a lot. At least for me it does.

I have a latex reed E.L.K. Yote Howler that is very easy to blow and sounds great. It is not super loud but does the job.

2. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Wow!!! after reading this thread i know im going to have fun at LBL this year you guys are a riot.

3. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    The LBL is a laugh a minute. Lots of good guys there to have fun and maybe do a little coyote hunting too. LOL

4. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    Dang Semp, you are tougher to deal with than a $2.00 steak. I didn't say anything about you knocking your teeth out, or mine either for that matter. Heck, Rich's wife probably had to have her windows fixed to be shatterproof with Rich testing out those howlers and Killer Calls. Learning to control the back pressure is the key to blowing about any call, open reed or closed reed. I find all of Rich's calls to be extra loud, realistic sounding, and not hard to blow at all once you break them in a little. He made me a little Buffalo Horn howler that sounds so good now that it is rapidly becoming my favorite howler. One of the things I have always liked about his Killer Call is its versatility. It makes a dandy howler for the mid range work, and will work on out there if you use a little funnel for the megaphone effect. I howl on it with my teeth barely touching the reed, but use my lips for the rabbit sounds. As I have stated before, I don't go hunting without my Killer Call. I find the open reed calls much more versatile than the latex type, but that is personal preference and nothing else but that. I feel confident that some of the fellows who use the latex howlers feel the same way about their calls of choice. Some of them prefer the custom diaphragm calls advertised on some of the forums. Whatever works for you, do it!