Cronk Howler and Killer Call..

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by screamin6x6, Dec 23, 2010.

1. screamin6x6

screamin6x6 BBBC Members

I'm just getting in to hand calling for coyotes and wondering if anyone has used these calls and what they think of them. I have both and don't know how effective Rich's method of calling works here in Ky. with just the lonesome howl and pup squeals. I know there are some Top predator men on here is why I'm asking.
    Thanks.

2. coyote1758

coyote1758 6 pointer

Oct 10, 2010
    nicholasville ky.
    ask possum al about those calls

3. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Deadly as heellllll! All you need is hte killer call itself to nock off a bunch of them. It is my call of choice for many years now. I also judge all other open reeds by this one.I have not found a call to match it in versatility yet. It especially excells at canine distress sounds. I also have an original prototype of hte killer jr. you can get by special order. These and a pair of my own enclosed reeds are my string.

The sounds I use are lone howl, whipped pup, grey fox distress, baby cottontail , grown cottontail , bird distress, fawn bleats , and funky chicken. All done with mouth calls. Makes all the variety of hte e-caller sound useless don't it ;-) Jimmie

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  4. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    Try a latex howler such as the E.L.K. Power Howler or Yote Howler and you'll leave those open reed calls at home.

The top three places at the World Coyote Vocalization Championship was won with latex callers.

5. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    Rich Cronk was calling in coyotes and making great howlers and calls before a lot of these call makers even started. I wouldn't think of going to the field without my Cronk Killer Call, my Cronk Buffalo Horn howler (Special small model), or the "Assassin", a special spinoff of the killer call. The latex howlers sound good to the human ear, and may sound good to the coyotes, but I can't speak for them. I do believe that you can make ki-yi's, fawn bleats, pup distress, challenge howls, and bird distress sounds easier with an open reed with more realism. We have been making the coyotes pay pretty stiff prices for the past couple of months with open reed howlers and calls, coupled with Foxpro ecallers. I'll cast my vote for Cronk calls as compared to any of the custom call makers for one main reason, and that is pride in workmanship and personal tuning of every call he ships. I do like E.L.K.'s new adjustable open reed call a bunch and have one in my arsenal of mouth calls.
    ll ll

6. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

My major problem with the elk howlers is the life span of the reeds. They just don't last that long. Quite easily replaced , I wil agree. And possibly better sound , and not that hard to use. But it is basically for coyote vocals.

Al, that assasin about half the size of the killer and same general style? Jimmie

7. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    Like I said, the top coyote howlers use latex howlers. There is no comparison to the open reed calls.

The latex bands are easily replaced and last a long time if taken care of like any call. If you ever get the chance to hear JD Piatt or Brent Saxton blow their latex calls you will quickly understand why they are two of the best in the world.

Cronk is older than dirt and maybe even older than possumal. :) He makes good loud howlers but they easily tone break if you are not very careful. The latex howlers are much easier to blow.

8. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

You should have told Rich about the tone break Semp. I am sure he would have replaced the tone board if you were not satisfied.

You forget to add that Jd and Brent aren't blowing stock E.L.K. power howlers. Brent did some modifications to them. I do agree those boys can make you believe the coyotes are right there with ya.Brent has fooled me more than once. Jimmie

9. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    Semp, I'm older than Rich Cronk, but that doesn't have anything to do with the quality of his calls. If you ever have a problem with a Cronk call, he will make it right and he won't be hard to find. He has howlers and Killer Calls in use all over the world. He can make a howler really sing and make any sound you want on his open reed calls and howlers. I'd venture a guess that the coyotes will respond to good howls on either an open reed, closed reed, or latex howler. J.D. or Brent can make any of them sing, and you can take that to the bank too. I doubt that you can tell that it isn't a coyote howlng when listening to any of those guys. Heck, I've even fooled a few people myself, and have fooled my share of coyotes, especially during the breeding season. It is all about preference, and I can switch out a reed on a Cronk call real quick and they are easy to find. I have been using the same reed in my Killer Call for about 4 years now and 2 years on the Assassin. Both have reed protectors and they stay good because of that and initial quality.

Jimmie, the Assassin is a name I gave to the call with Rich's o.k.. It is longer than the standard Killer Call but not quite as big around. It is extremely easy to blow and is easy to get higher pitched howls on. I will post a picture here if I still have it on Photobucket.

[​IMG]

10. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee

Cronk's tone board is carved in to the buffalo horn and is not replaceable. I am not an expert caller like you and possumal, just an average guy trying to kill a coyote. Maybe an expert would not hit a tone break. I do know that the latex howler is much easier to blow for me.

I would guess that there isn't a "stock" caller used by any of the competitors at the World Championships. They all tune their calls to their liking.

11. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    Whoa pal Semp, I didn't say anything about being an expert caller. I have fooled my share of coyotes with Cronk howlers, Bearmanric howlers, Primos howlers, and the new E.L.K. sliding reed howler, but the only judges I can pay any attention to are the coyotes, and I don't understand what they are saying sometimes (lol). I was just trying to tell you that if there is something wrong with any Cronk call, he will gladly make it right. I use the Killer Call and the Assassin just as much for howling as I do the little Buffalo Horn howler he custom made for me, especially for close in work. The Buffalo Horn howler is seriously loud, but extra easy to blow. I suppose what you mean by a tone break is if you are really blowing hard the tone changes up or down. I hear coyotes do that a lot and try to copy them. Cal Taylor puts more air through a call than anybody I have seen and I don't think he has had any problems with a Cronk call, and he is calling out there in wide open Wyoming in 30 to 35 mph winds most of the time. Now, he is an expert caller and hunter, one of the very best.

12. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Your assasin is hte Killer jr with a longer barrel. 1/2 Inch tone board instead of 5/8's . I use mine mainly for distress sounds. I haven't found anything the little call can't do within my limits.

You ever wonder what makes the diferent materials htey use to make hte better calls so much better? Why is deer antler so much better for open reed distress? Why is bufalo horn even better than cow horn?

I do know that Brent said cow horn had to be thin enough to make hte right vibrations with the E.L.K power howlers. He even sanded them down to get what he wanted from them.

And if it's any consolation Semp, making a solid horn howler is one of hte toughest things to make. Back pressure is one issue. Getting that tone board just right is another. And Rich cronk has turned out more solid antler and horn calls than anyone I know of today. Now you know why no one else is doing it. All the others are buying tone boards or making their own from other materials. Jimmie

13. CCP

CCP Fawn

Apr 6, 2009
    The great SOUTH
    You would be better served with a E.L.K. for coyote vocals and distress sounds and change the latex reed every 2 months. I have tried several Cronk Calls and it was a totally different outcome than the guys above. Very hard to blow and sounds terrible but take into consideration lots of so-called bad sounds call coyotes. Can a Cronk call actually call coyotes YES but so can a blade a grass between your thumbs.

One of the open reed Primos calls would better serve you for ease of use, good versatile sounds and easy on the wallet if you want a production open reed over a latex. If your looking for a custom call the tone board on a Brad Gainey call is hard to beat and in the top 3 best tone board designs out there.

14. screamin6x6

screamin6x6 BBBC Members

I've already got both Cronk calls. I was just wondering about how effective they are here. I don't have any problems getting good clear coyote talk from either of these calls but I guess the years of using open reed calls for elk helped a bit in the learning curve there. I do like latex reed calls for elk bugles but when it comes to really trying to get the emotion in I go to a open reed. As far as Primos or any other of the big call producers, to each is own. I prefer to not sound like every other guy that's been to Bass Pro or wal Mart in the last few weeks. Thanks guys for the responses, I really appreciate it. I guess I just need to head to the woods and try them out.

15. CCP

CCP Fawn

Apr 6, 2009
    The great SOUTH
    screamin6x6, Thanks for the heads up, I will have to pay closer attention next time I get to go hunt. LOL