Creosote in Chimneys

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
We had a discussion about Creosote Buildup in chimneys .back in the Winter.
I have a Wood Stove and I don't like to be Cold and I burn a lot of wood, so I potentially have a large problem.
Since I have been burning Plastic Bottles, Plastic jugs, etc in my stove, the Creosote falls down and I just Scoop it out of the Flue Cleanout.
I got this out yesterday and I had gotten a similiar amount back in the winter.
My Chimney is CLEAN Now, and I haven't been on the Roof in several years.

I understand if you are skeptical, but I am just passing it on to maybe help someone.
No. I still don't know WHY it works.

beauhunter41031

12 pointer
Jan 1, 2018
Cynthiana, Ky
In my last house I had installed wood-burning stove in living rm with a straight vertical pipe running up through ceiling, attic then roof etc. I can remember burning wood on several occasions and having black sappy substances leaking through the joints down the stove pipe then and after things cooled off being able to tap around the pipe top and bottom with a tremendous amount of debris falling down. The next year I learned the importance of selecting better types of wood and especially thoroughly seasoned. The right types of seasoned wood burning efficiently left very minimum build up. The smoke coming out of the chimney if any tells a lot about your setup

Last edited:

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
In my last house I had installed wood-burning stove in living rm with a straight vertical pipe running up through ceiling, attic then roof etc. I can remember burning wood on several occasions and having black sappy substances leaking through the joints down the stove pipe then and after things cooled off being able to tap around the pipe top and bottom with a tremendous amount of debris falling down. The next year I learned the importance of selecting better types of wood and especially thoroughly seasoned. The right types of seasoned wood burning efficiently left very minimum build up. The smoke coming out of the chimney if any tells a lot about your setup
That is very true about Burning Efficiency and Creosote. If you Choke all the Air off and just "Idle it Along" you will get a lot of Smoke and Creosote.
I never choke the Air off and just run a smaller fire if the weather isn't as Cold.
I have a "Schoolteacher Neighbor" who is too lazy to cut firewood. He smothers it along and gets a constant buildup. He is on his 3rd Chimney in 30 years.
Burning Plastic isn't gonna do Anything "Bad" if you keep your head outta the chimney. I ain't been on my roof in at least 5 years.

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
That is very true about Burning Efficiency and Creosote. If you Choke all the Air off and just "Idle it Along" you will get a lot of Smoke and Creosote.
I never choke the Air off and just run a smaller fire if the weather isn't as Cold.
I have a "Schoolteacher Neighbor" who is too lazy to cut firewood. He smothers it along and gets a constant buildup. He is on his 3rd Chimney in 30 years.
Burning Plastic isn't gonna do Anything "Bad" if you keep your head outta the chimney. I ain't been on my roof in at least 5 years.
I've took your advice the last two winters. It's amazing what flakes off. I can't explain it either, but it keeps the chimney clean as hell.

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
I’m wondering if the plastic doesn’t create the soot? Are these walled pipes of clay flue liners?
It is a Clay Flue lined chimney and hasn't plugged up since I started burning the Plastic Bottles.
A few years ago i have seen this thing Plug up in a month, so much the smoke wouldnt even go UP.
I had to climb up there and tie a Rope to a Post Hole steel digger to punch it out. Dangerous work on a Roof.
And @FF/EMT516 the bottles just totally burn up and nothing remains in a Hot fire.