Creepy experiences while hunting

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by BlueGrassVW, Jan 13, 2022 at 8:34 PM.

1. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Been chased by a cow while turkey hunting.

Also been paralleled by coyotes walking in and out in the dark several times. Not scared of them at all and didn't feel threatened at any point.

I've hunted in several old cemeteries and never felt uneasy. The only time I ever felt uneasy or creeped out was way back in Daniel Boone national forest on a hike. For no reason out of the blue I just got bad vibes from a spot on the trail. Didn't see or hear anything but there was just bad ju ju in the air. I got out of there and felt better. Haven't been back there sense and don't plan on it

xbokilla, Lady Hunter and Little FR like this.
  2. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 10 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    BIGFOOT!

xbokilla, BlueGrassVW, hunt and 2 others like this.
  3. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Central KY over 20 years ago. Not likely an elk and the sound wasn't right.

I've listened to animal sounds on the internet & can't find anything similar.

xbokilla likes this.
  4. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Where to start. Used to hunt behind our house with a pellet gun. Squirrels, quail, rabbit, doves. This was in the 60's. In early 70's made a homemade trad bow and arrows (very primitive!) but I could shoot it good to 25yds. 3 wild neighbor dogs (2 had bit kids in the neighborhood and nothing had been done) surrounded me and and were growling. I had managed to get about 5' up in a scrub tree. I was able to shoot both dogs that bit the kids and SSS'd them. The other ran off and was never an issue. I think I shook the leaves off the tree I was so scared once it was over. I ran back to the house for a shovel white as a ghost my momma said.

Next time was in the George Washington National forest in Virginia, hunting deer and turkey in the fall. We were 14. Buddy and I were walking a logging road in to where we were hunting and ( we guess) a bobcat in a tree we just passed let out a blood curdling scream and scared the white right out of us!

Next one was trying to get my buddy his first spring turkey. We were set up on a bird that was coming and went silent. After 20 mins I heard something in the thicket in front of us every now and then. It was a misty foggy morning. All of a sudden a bobcat bolted right at us. Scared him, he shot but missed and it turned and bolted.
    Thought we both would need new underwear.

Another buddy I was calling a bird for, we had a coyote come blasting into the setup and tried to kill the deke. Went bad for him, but my buddy was a lil shook up over it.

I had a coyote zip into a setup and steal my foam flambeau decoy and was out of range before I could even react. Never did find my deke.

5. Kyhunter75

Kyhunter75 Fawn

Jan 3, 2022
    East Ky
    Several years ago I was hunting in a west Ky swamp, 25 feet up in a poplar with a climbing treestand. All of a sudden, the tree shook for no reason. It was very unnerving. I always make sure not to climb a dead tree or one that may fall. I was looking at the ground non stop to see if any roots were coming up. It finally dawned on me that it was a earthquake trimmer that I felt. Was relieved after that.

6. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    2 years ago in gun season the leaves were still on trees so instead of climbing where I couldn’t see, I put the top of my climber on a tree on the ground so I’d have a comfy seat while watching this ridge top. Something to my right caught my eye. A bobcat, first I’ve ever seen while hunting, was making its way down the ridge top straight toward me. About 20 feet out it noticed me. Continued walking right to me, got about 6 ft away and stopped, starring at me, flicking its tail. Like he was about to pounce. I’m thinking shit he’s gonna try to eat me. So I yelled at him get, get out of here! And he took off running looked like his feet didn’t touch the ground. Got all of this on video too.

7. CalebConn16

CalebConn16 6 pointer

May 27, 2016
    Sika deer?

carnivore likes this.
  8. KY_Fried

KY_Fried 12 pointer

Nov 13, 2003
    Foster, KY, USA.
    I may have told these stories before but I have two that come to mind and both involve yotes. I was squirrel hunting with an old single shot 20 gauge a few years ago when I saw a yote heading right towards me on the same trail I was on. I waited until he was about 15 yards and shot him right in the chest. I should have made a head shot, no idea why I didn't, but it was a mistake since he came barreling right towards me dragging his front legs. I didn't have time to dig through my pockets to get another shell and had nowhere to go so I just braced myself and went to kick it away and it bit down hard on my boot. It went clean through my boot but thankfully missed my foot somehow. He ran off into a creek bed and I didn't find him until a few days later when the buzzards led me to him. I'm just glad I was wearing work boots that day and not hikers or else that would have been ugly.
    The other one was one night when my daughter was maybe 4 years old. She wanted to go to an old grown up cow pond behind our house to see the spring peepers in action that were making all that noise. So I took her over there, she caught a few and put them in a jar, and we headed back to the house. We were walking through a hay field and she started running off quite a bit ahead of me and I noticed something running right with her about 10 yards below her along the tree line. It was a yote! I yelled and ran towards her and of course it took off but I don't even want to think what would have happened if she was alone.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022 at 4:12 AM
  9. Oldrook

Oldrook 6 pointer

Jul 19, 2020
    Soky
    Had several coyote and bobcat stalkers over the years. Twice last year in turkey season. Not a fan. But once while turkey hunting years ago I had a foam hen about 20 yds from me. After a few soft calls I caught movement to my left. It was fast!! Blew right passed me and tackled the decoy. I freaked. Scared the daylights out of me. It was the landowners juvenile black lab. Trotted back home with his trophy decoy in his mouth. After I stopped shaking I had a good laugh.

10. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky
    My first real bow hunt for deer maybe 55 years ago ... a friend invited me to go with him to the Shawnee National Forest in Illinois which he said was lousy with deer, so I said heck yeah!

I was completely clueless but somewhere along the line, something convinced me that tying some little felt pads soaked with doe estrous to my boots to "bring the big ones running" was a great idea. So off I go, walked maybe a half mile into a forest I'd never seen before and found a likely fallen tree to hide behind, no stand, no nothing but my shiny new bow and the pads tied to my feet which I'd completely forgotten about by the time I got to that spot. Sat there for quite a while and it was quiet as a grave yard and I was about half asleep when out of nowhere, something lets out this huge earsplitting SNORT right behind my head! I jumped straight up and this big ol buck with a skull full of antlers was within 5 yards of me. If I hadn't jumped, I hate to think what might have happened next because he was obviously in a "mating" mood.

Thankfully ... he took off when he realized his mistake and I took those damn pads off my boots and called it a day .... happy to have escaped without being molested by a horny deer and having to go into therapy for the rest of my life and also happy my heart hadn't jumped completely out of my chest. :D

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022 at 10:25 AM
  11. Little FR

Little FR 10 pointer

Nov 10, 2021
    West Kentucky
    Had that happen this year.

I was walking into my spot. Leaned up against a tree to relieve myself and heard a limb crack behind me. 130” mature deer at 7 yards. I was in a ghillie poncho and he was locked on me. I drew my bow back, settled in the pins. Took one last look at his rack and said, go on get, he ran to 20 yards broadside then hung out until I proceeded on my journey. It sure would have been an easy shot. Made me a believer in some estrous in early season.

That was same day I filmed a bobcat at 12 yards hunting on the ground with no blind. That was cool. Even cooler since I had a pistol backup ready. (Always)

woodsman92, Feedman and KYote-Krusher like this.
  12. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    he was gonna give ya some deer meat!! Lol:D

Feedman and KYote-Krusher like this.
  13. BlueGrassVW

BlueGrassVW 6 pointer

Mar 17, 2007
    Where the blacktop ends
    That's what I was thinking...

14. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I have had more than 1 encounter about dusky dark with big owls coming at me. There are red tail hawks and barn owls that will knock you out of the stand where I hunt right now. Although spooky, I love to be in the blind/stand pre daylight and hear coyotes, owls, and screech owls. As far as “creepy” experiences, I’ve had a few more fishing than hunting as strange as that sounds. Some good stories y’all keep it up.

15. Buzzy

Buzzy 6 pointer

Oct 15, 2013
    I lived in Armuchee and hunted John’s mountain A LOT. And I tell you what you aren’t kiddin. Spooky

GTbowhunter and Little FR like this.