Creepy experiences while hunting

Velvet ears

8 pointer
Nov 6, 2013
West KY
Not me, but my cousin was turkey hunting and she heard a noise behind her as she was calling to a gobbler out in the field. She never turned around to see what it was thinking it was another turkey coming in. Within a few seconds it jumped at her and bit her on the arm. She jumped and screamed and it jumped and ran out in front of her scared too. It was a bobcat thinking she was a turkey. Needless to say, she had to get rabi shots.

3PointSlayer

6 pointer
Aug 3, 2021
Between The Bridges
One happened to me about 10 years ago. I was scouting about a week before bow opener on a ridge behind my house. When I got to the top I jumped a doe and a couple fawns. Just for the heck of it I did a fawn bleat with my mouth as they ran off. A couple minutes later I heard something walking towards me, so I was thinking wow that actually worked. But it wasn't the deer it was 2 coyotes. I didn't have a gun or a knife or anything and i was wearing jeans and a white shirt so i figured they would see me and leave town fast. I did the fawn bleat again just thinking i would mess with them and that was a mistake. After the noise i was making which sounded very poor they both looked directly at me from about 50 yards. One of them locked eyes with me and the other one kept going. I was getting a little worried at this point that they werent leaving cause I knew they saw me so I yelled HEY real loud. The one just kept looking at me and I could hear the other one circling behind me. So i yelled at him again, This time he trotted towards me stopping about 10 yards away. I could still hear the other one getting closer behind me but I didn't want to take my eyes off. I was beyond scared at this point. I lit up a cigarette and took a leak hoping they would realize what I was, that didn't work, they just didn't call my bluff. I took off down the hill hoping they wouldn't get me. Ran into the house and got a gun went back out could hear them up in the woods just behind my house but couldn't see them for a shot. They followed me all the way down the hill. I never go to the woods without a weapon of some sort now.

Tankt

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2019
Kentucky
Had a coyote experience myself a few years ago. Was deer hunting during the pouring down rain and still hunting through a very thick thicket. Visibility was 15 yards max. Cloudy day and it was quite dark. I kept seeing glimpses of something. Never could get a good look. Then there were more and all around me. This went on for about 30 minutes or longer. I am guessing there were at least 4 coyotes around me but none brave enough to get closer. About a month later I saw several on the edge of the woods.

I had a rifle, sure. But saw nothing but shadows and movement. Hair on my neck was standing up.

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
Interesting Coyote stories.
They are NOT afraid of you at Nighttime and sometimes not In the Daytime if you are on their "Turf."

I don't have a scary story but my youngest son and I were lo crawling across a field one night and we had one come up within 20 feet and Growl at us. This was long ago maybe 1990 before I figured out how to deal with them.
@NOCAMST is ahead so far in the stories.

120+

12 pointer
Aug 22, 2006
You can't get there from here.
Walking into spider webs in the dark.......... Geez I freak out every time. I hate damn spiders. Had a coon that had been using my blind as a nest one year. He ambled up one morning just after daylight, hell bent on getting in that blind. I kicked him in the face 3-4 times before he finally gave up. Climbed a tree about 10 yards away, went in a hole, and stared at me the whole morning. lol.
I hate them too. Especially when you get to your stand, not realizing they are still on you, then one drops down from your cap bill.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Interesting Coyote stories.
They are NOT afraid of you at Nighttime and sometimes not In the Daytime if you are on their "Turf."

I don't have a scary story but my youngest son and I were lo crawling across a field one night and we had one come up within 20 feet and Growl at us. This was long ago maybe 1990 before I figured out how to deal with them.
@NOCAMST is ahead so far in the stories.
Truth. Late ML season several years ago, I was in my blind 45 minutes before daylight. A pack of coyotes surrounded me, some close enough it sounded like I could reach out and touch them. Sounded like 20, was probably only 5-6. They knew I was there, and they milled around me, screaming their heads off for at least 10 minutes. That was the last time I went to the woods during ML or bow season without a handgun.........

120+

12 pointer
Aug 22, 2006
You can't get there from here.
Truth. Late ML season several years ago, I was in my blind 45 minutes before daylight. A pack of coyotes surrounded me, some close enough it sounded like I could reach out and touch them. Sounded like 20, was probably only 5-6. They knew I was there, and they milled around me, screaming their heads off for at least 10 minutes. That was the last time I went to the woods during ML or bow season without a handgun.........
Yep. I had several close howling coyotes this year and a ton of pics. I need to start trapping.

Luther's Feist

10 pointer
Oct 25, 2014
Coeburn, Va
There was a place out past my grandmother's house about a mile down in the woods that was nicknamed the demon field, I was always told to stay out of it and never knew why. Well I was around 12 or 13 and was rabbit hunting with my 3 beagles and they had run a rabbit near that old home place. They quit barking and came high tailing it back past me. I knew there was some big fields of an old strip job down past the demon field and decided to cut through it to get to them so I called the dogs back and started through that old home place. When I got near the edge of it the hair on the back of my neck stood up, I chalked it up to stories I had heard, then the dogs started booger barking and the hair in their necks stood up. Then all at once I heard the God awfullest howling sound I had ever heard, I ran all the way back to my grandmother's house. When I got in the door she said you been in that darned demon field ain't ya. How she knew I will never know but she knew. She then proceeded to tell me why it was named that and about the family who had lived there before the man went crazy and killed his whole family and then himself. It was then I learned it wasn't originally called the demon field but was said to be demon filled. When I got older I went back down there to have a look around and figure out the howling sound was only the wind blowing through the stand of beech trees that surrounded that old home place. Even in my 20's that place still gave me the creeps and I was glad when a logging company came thru and clear cut that area.

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
I was elk hunting on a strip job alone, slept in my truck at night in the laid back drivers seat pistol in my lap. One night 3 am i wake up to loud thump and my truck was rocking. I look out the window and see a glowing white alien staring at me 2 feet away from my face right outside my driver window. Right before i unload my 9mm through my window i realize its a black horse with a white face.
View attachment 96593
A780A352-6B90-44D6-8258-A0FA3C74B7D6.jpeg

B61F0BB8-95C8-408B-8AFD-42B34146DD47.jpeg

Last edited:

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
I was elk hunting on a strip job alone, slept in my truck at night in the laid back drivers seat pistol in my lap. One night 3 am i wake up to loud thump and my truck was rocking. I look out the window and see a glowing white alien staring at me 2 feet away from my face right outside my driver window. Right before i unload my 9mm through my window i realize its a black horse with a white face.
Pretty sure I remember that story lol

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
Once, several years ago, while hunting Squirrels in my home State of Indiana, I set down by a fence watching a Hickory Tree for Squirrels. That morning was a cool one, and I sat with my back to the morning Sun. Around a half hour, I just happened to look to my left and there lying beside me was a HUGE 7' King Snake!! I reached over on my right for a stick to get him to move, but he was reluctant to do so. It took several pokes to get him to slither away, but when he did he looked back at me like he was mad about giving up his warm spot. Seems like this was his favorite spot to catch some warmth from the sun.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Wasn't creepy, but set up turkey hunting one morning on the edge of a bluff, with decoys in the field in front of me. Very quiet. I catch movement to my right, and a bobcat is sneaking in, staring at the dekes. My gun was laid across my lap, pointing to my left. The cat got within 10 feet or so of me, and I decided that was close enough. I waved my hand at it, and it locked in on me, crouched. I waved again and said "Get". It burned it out of there, and never made a sound.

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
Okay, y'all can laugh at me if you want but it's been over 20 years & I still don't know what the heck happened...

Was hunting an old farm near our house that we used to have access to & was in a tree stand overlooking an old garden spot. Had been there for several hours & not seen a darned thing. All of a sudden I heard the most gosh-awful screaming (kinda like a cross between an elk bugling & a hog squealing) and SOMETHING came crashing thru the woods towards me on the other side of the field. You could hear big sticks breaking and whatever it was never stopped screaming.

I had my rifle up & aiming that direction because whatever it was sounded PISSED OFF and you could tell it was BIG from all the crashing. About the time I could see the bushes thrashing around & less than 10 feet from where it would have come out into the field, I guess it saw or smelled me because it just STOPPED. No movement. Dead silence. Then it flat out ROARED and took off back the way it came, screaming at the top of it's lungs & moving so fast you could actually hear the sound fade as it moved.

Y'all I'm not gonna lie - my heart was going so fast that I started shaking & couldn't even climb down from the tree.

About half an hour later, I heard something behind me & my husband was heading thru the woods towards my stand. When he got there, his eyes were about as big as saucers as he asked "WHAT THE HE** WAS THAT??????" He'd been up on the ridge behind me & heard it. We went across the field and it looked like a bulldozer had been thru where whatever-it-was went. Small saplings ripped out of the ground, good sized limbs broken everywhere. We followed the trail up to a power line near an old barn & lost it. We guessed it stayed in the cleared area.

The next day, we got our dogs & headed back to that same area. One of them was a wolf-mix who wasn't afraid of ANYTHING (the neighbors pit bull pack - 13 of them - dug thru our fence one day & came after her, she killed over half of them before the rest got out of our yard) and when we got back to that part of the farm, her tail went between her legs and she started pushing against our legs, trying to push us back away from that area. We couldn't even drag her on at that point. She was having none of it!

I've spent most of my life roaming the woods & to this day can't figure out what it could have been.
Could it have been an elk?

Latest posts