creek crossing problem

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by ojibwa62, Apr 22, 2019.

1. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I would greatly appreciate it, at least a few..

bigbonner and Dark Cloud like this.
  2. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I’ll be honest....I’ve never heard of any place in the bluegrass state that wouldn’t have some sort or rock somewheres. Either you’ve found a unicorn or maybe you forgot what rocks look like?

3. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    the only rock I have is along a deep sided creek on the backside of the property down 40' embankment, no way to get an ATV or truck anywhere close.. but zero anywhere else not even a rock pile from the previous owner who farmed this area.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  4. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    If you want to make another drive I will let you pick up all you want :D No Kidding absolutely free!!!!
    I should put some of them on fleabay as they show a lot of tiny fossils

EdLongshanks likes this.
  5. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    You would do that for me? Thanks buddy maybe I can get up that way again.. oh wait I am having my Gall bladder voluntarily removed that day..:D

bigbonner likes this.
  6. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Fawn

Apr 6, 2007
    SW Indiana
    I have a low creek crossing on my place it is a total pain. Several years ago I was in a pretty wild portion of Tennessee and saw some creek crossings built by their DNR or the federal forrest down there I'd use for your crossing. They looked like those curb bumpers they have in a lot of parking lots. Made of concrete and about 6 inches high and 6 or 8 inches wide, and as long as the parking spot is wide. Now the crossing wasn't EXACTLY like those but that is what the concrete reminded me of.

The crossing was made of long concrete "logs" as long as the crossing was intended to be wide or a little more and laid down like concrete logs to drive across and they were joined by what looked like half inch or so rebar running through the concrete logs cross wise to make them in to a long "bridge" laying on the ground. Like if you picked them up on each end it would make a swinging bridge of concrete steps, only it was all laying on the ground to drive across the creek. With a few inches between them the creek could just run right through even at the lowest water levels letting it dry completely yet when it is wet they concrete logs spread the weight of a vehicle out across a wide area preventing it from just sinking in to the soft ground. The gravel from water flowing across had built up and filled in around parts of it. It was probably a 50 foot long crossing and completely dry when I crossed it so I could see all of the construction.

I thought it was genius. With mixed concrete you could build the whole thing, on site, with just the materials needed for the project. Concrete and rebar. Just dig molds in the dirt and add what every rebar you think you need per the weight of equipment you are going to cross it with and build it in place or drag it in place as you pour a few at a time.

ojibwa62 likes this.