Craziest deer season ever

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by farmertom, Nov 21, 2018.

1. farmertom

farmertom 8 pointer

Jan 21, 2011
    Hey guys just wanted to stop by and cry and whine a little. Man ive had a rough year deer hunting wise. Ive have spent more time on the stand this year than in the last 6 years combined. Now im not a big buck killer im that "hey 2 yo 6 you'll do, BAM" kinda hunter. But this year i let one like that walk in ML season. And ihavent had one buck walk by my stand since. Ive seen does every day. Just had a dozen~ish walk by, no antlers. Not even a spike. Crazy. Well I'll tell ya ive learnt my lesson. Be no more letting 2yo 6 points walk lol.

Happy hunting
    God Bless

Ataulbe1, KY Swamp Beagler and davers like this.
  2. Monster01

Monster01 8 pointer

Dec 9, 2013
    I cant say id shoot a 2yo 6 but then again i havent seen a buck that big all year.

muddhunter likes this.
  3. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

Yep. That's been my luck as well. In fact, that's exactly what I've shot so far: a 2.5 yr old 6 pointer. Under normal circumstances, I'd have held of and let the booger grow, but that's been about all I've seen.

4. Trophyspike

Trophyspike Spike

Feb 24, 2015
    Cave City
    If your managing your property for larger deer then there will be years of not taking a buck. It's all in what you want to get out of hunting. Nothing wrong with taking a 6pt every year, but know how it could effect your management in the long run. Remember, doe eat just as well and is a great way to get your buck moving with a balanced herd.

cedar ridge likes this.
  5. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Are you in a restricted area that won’t allow a doe?

6. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Cant kill a 4yr old if you kill the 3yr old this year. But like said you cant kill deer that aint there either. If i were you i might have to look into some public land hunting. Its hard work if you wanna kill a decent buck every year but it can be done if your willing to work and travel a little. I been there. When life gives you lemons sometimes you gotta make lemonade. Ha

7. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

Going into this season, we had enough bucks of all age classes that shooting a younger buck wasn't a problem. I'm not too worried about how this is going to affect things. The big problem was the dearth of deer period. Of the 7 tags we intended to fill this year, we've only managed two.

What will be interesting is to see if this pattern continues into this coming weekend.

8. farmertom

farmertom 8 pointer

Jan 21, 2011

We dont manage for anything just hunting. Never kill does. Until this year we were zone 4 no does allowed unless with a bow. Ive Always figured the more does i had the more bucks id have......they may have got out of hand. May be time to thin the herd. I wasnt hunting last night but Dad set at the house and seen 18 in the fields. One buck crused through all those does, and he said it didn't even check the does just walked by and kept moving. Headed back out in a few, maybe day 979 will be the charm. Lol

9. F250Stroke

F250Stroke 10 pointer

Jan 22, 2007
    back in the woods you see
    The more doe you have, the less your bucks have to move to find one.

Trophyspike and cedar ridge like this.