Crawfish trapping?

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA
I have tried it with very limited success. I actually think I'm doing too long of a soak as they will get out when the bait runs out.
If you want to catch a bucket full from my experiance the fastest and most efective way is with a minnow seine net. tie a stick to both ends. I use to cath them by the bucket full in a very short time back in the day. Its easiest with two peaple but can be done solo.

Bubbles

Banned
Oct 25, 2016
I know a place where you can fill up a bucket with them in an hour with a seine. But they are all 2" or less. Seems like the big eating sized crawfish prefer deeper waters.

FOWLER2671

12 pointer
Sep 11, 2009
Evicted from Aintry'
Well I'm in the process of building a few traps. Some will be the "pick em up quick" type that are rings with netting that you let sit for 20 minutes or so then pick up before they get away. I have ideas for a few made from five gallon buckets and ideas for some made from 1/2 gallon jars. I had some chicken wire that I had in mind for some pillow traps but after looking at it the mesh is way too big. I may buy some of the plastic netting to build pillow traps.

I also have a couple gallons of fresh frozen crappie carcasses to use for bait

Ataulbe1

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2017
Estill County
Well I'm in the process of building a few traps. Some will be the "pick em up quick" type that are rings with netting that you let sit for 20 minutes or so then pick up before they get away. I have ideas for a few made from five gallon buckets and ideas for some made from 1/2 gallon jars. I had some chicken wire that I had in mind for some pillow traps but after looking at it the mesh is way too big. I may buy some of the plastic netting to build pillow traps.

If you find a combo that works let us know. My kids would love it. When we were kids we'd spend hours catching them by hand, but nothing near big enough to eat.

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky

I have an idea of taking the 3 gallon water bottles, cutting the top off and inverting it into the body and choking down the mouth.

FOWLER2671

12 pointer
Sep 11, 2009
Evicted from Aintry'
My only concern with a plastic funnel is whether the crawfish can get traction to climb into the hole of the funnel? You might be able to make slits in the plastic or lay screen or mesh down like you do in a wood duck box to help the youngsters crawl out. Might try 40 grit sandpaper to scuff it up and give the little buggers some traction?

I don't think the wider moth of the water bottle would hurt. Probably allow the bigger boys to check in.

raktrakr

Cyber-Hunter
Jan 20, 2002
central ky
I have a trap that I bought several years ago from a guy named Terry Bullard out of Oregon or Washington..dont remember which, I wont post a link but you can search him. Nice looking traps and appear to be escape proof(?) Ive only used it once with no luck, I think its because it was late summer when I tried it. Would like to know what time of year would be most productive for Ky.

Latest posts