Coyotes near Ft. Knox

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by dmaxthad, Oct 16, 2009.

1. dmaxthad

dmaxthad Fawn

Nov 16, 2007
    Ekron, KY
    Does anyone know of any public land around the ft. knox area to hunt coyotes. Not looking to hunt them on base because of the whole shotgun/muzzleloader thing. Maybe even looking for a hunting buddy.

2. KY Fowl Hunter

KY Fowl Hunter Fawn

Dec 28, 2008
    Elizabethtown, KY
    There are 3 public hunting areas near Fort Knox: Yellowbank at Brandenburg, one at Lebanon Junction, and one at Boston. I don't know if they allow coyote hunting or not. Yellowbank is several thousand acres and the one at Boston around 500 acres/Lebanon Junction around 1000 acres.

3. lukehunter

lukehunter 8 pointer

Nov 30, 2004
    Ft. Knox
    Yellowbank and JC Williams which is the one at Boston are bow only areas...

4. Cavtrooper94

Cavtrooper94 Fawn

Sep 29, 2009
    I'm not sure about where to go as I just PCS'd here, but I would like to get at it later after deer season. Coyote hunting is my passion, I hope to have my Encore 22-250 ready soon.

5. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

If they are open to small game hunting they are likely under rimfire and shotgun restrictions for coyote. It is well worth trying. Jimmie

6. anvil

anvil 6 pointer

Sep 27, 2009
    yellowbank is in battle town but it is realy close to Brandenburg. Just watch out for rattlers and bears. I turkey hunted there once and never went back. It is gods country for sure.

7. mathewslxinky

mathewslxinky 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2004
    irvington, ky
    you are allowed to use a rifle at yellowbank i hunt it sometimes and i use my ar 15 all the time.

8. Daub

Daub 6 pointer

Jul 8, 2008
    Flaherty, Kentucky
    Mathewslxinky, you are right about rifle hunting at Yellowbank. I talked with the GW that works down there about this. He said you can use rifles, just make sure you have some coyote calls along with you.

9. darianbarr

darianbarr Spike

Dec 23, 2006
    you can hunt coyotes with a rifle i do with good results as far as seeing them not always shooting them. i usually dont start hunting them till after deer season, yellowbank gets alot of hunting presure along the roads and trails. it has around 6000 acers on the meade breckenridge co. line plus the new town creek property down river thats aruond 1000 acres, yellowbanks is not in battletown thats lapland and its not open to the public anymore.

10. SkunkWorks

SkunkWorks Fawn

Oct 22, 2009
    Did you see this?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/717803--tragic-end-for-budding-music-star
    Tragic end for budding music star

On Tuesday, taking advantage of a short break, Mitchell decided to hike in Cape Breton's Highlands National Park.
    She was alone on the Skyline Trail when she was attacked by two coyotes.
    Mitchell, 19, was airlifted to a hospital in Halifax, where she died early Wednesday.
    Her mother, Emily, was with her at the hospital, said Lisa Weitz, Mitchell's manager.
    "She had just gotten her (driver's) licence and her first set of wheels to take her on the road to the Maritimes," said Weitz, choking back tears.
    "She was just exhilarated to be on the road and performing. We are all devastated."
    Mitchell wasn't far into the 9.2-kilometre trail when she was mauled just before 3:15 p.m. on Tuesday, said RCMP spokeswoman Brigdit Leger. A nearby hiker heard her cries for help and called 911.
    When officers arrived, one of the coyotes fled into the bush. The other was shot and limped away.
    "The coyotes were extremely aggressive," said Leger, who wouldn't comment on Mitchell's injuries, but described it as "an incredibly vicious attack."...

I hate coyotes!

11. SkunkWorks

SkunkWorks Fawn

Oct 22, 2009
  12. D.Bounc

D.Bounc Fawn

Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    Coyotes near Ft Knox

Been seeing a few coyotes on my property lately and trying to call them in has been difficult, any suggestions on what calls of techniues you are using?

13. anvil

anvil 6 pointer

Sep 27, 2009
    I'm 2 for 2 and Your right it was lapland when / why did they close it?
    Sorry

14. darianbarr

darianbarr Spike

Dec 23, 2006
    indiania hardwoods used to own it and they leased it to kentucky fish and wildlife to try and keep the fourwheelers off of it but that didnt work so they just shut it down all togather at least thats what i heard. its privatly owned now it sold with all that land that kimbel industries sold.

15. dmaxthad

dmaxthad Fawn

Nov 16, 2007
    Ekron, KY
    yellowbank

Ill be heading out to yellowbank this weekend. I live in Ekron so its a short drive. Ill be out there with my Winchester 70 SA .308. Ill be by myself cause the girlfriend thinks coyotes are too much like our german shepard at home. Anyone care to join ill be there and I have a few calls too. We can tag team an area.