Coyotes in the Crosshairs

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by JR in KY, Aug 28, 2014.

1. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Is it too early to hunt Coyotes?

No. Just try the newly mown hayfields just about Dark...they will be there. I am just trying to keep up with my Hero....Yote Yoda; he is THE Coyote Killer extraordinaire. Someone took offense to my "Numbering" my Coyote kills; sorry, but this is #7 and #8 since July 1...on the way to 25 if I stay healthy and don't get injured this year. These were popped with my SAVAGE .204; Male and a Female.
    Just a suggestion to try to help someone: If you see a PAIR, and it is convenient, then shoot the Female first (smaller) and the Male (larger) will usually stay around for a second shot. Not infallible, but I have not seen it fail yet. Good Luck to Everyone on your Coyote hunts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  2. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I have never hunted for coyote and I don't really know much about it. Will the male stick around after the female has been shot, even if she is not in heat? Do males and females run together often or only when it's "date night?"

3. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    Good job.

I just can't make myself get out there in this heat and the bugs. Soon as it cools down then I'll go out.

4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Excellent work!!! The farmers appreciate all of the ones that you eliminate.

5. Sounds like you know what I know JR. Those are two big coyotes with good fur for this time of year.

Fresh mowed hayfields=coyotes. I agree about shooting the smaller female first if possible.

I think putting your numbers up is a good way to show others it can be done.

Over the past 25 or 30 years PossumAl and I have killed a lot of coyotes together. He quit counting his at 1000 but I am still counting and hunting 12 months a year for Old Wiley. I don't hunt as much in July and August but I do kill several coyotes in July and August each year. My best months as a rule are October thru February and JUNE!!! We whack a bunch every June with all the mowing that's going on.

Good luck on getting to 25 this year. I hope you will come here sometime and hunt with us. PossumAl's son is a postal carrier and he is really into this now so we could have a good hunt. We mainly hunt Lexington and all the surrounding counties but end up in Casey and Lincoln counties several times a year. Lot of horse farms and open land that are full of coyotes.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  6. big bubba t

big bubba t 10 pointer

Sep 4, 2004
    Waltersburg , KY
    25? With all the free time you have these days that goal should be much higher.

7. rangerman2003

rangerman2003 8 pointer

Oct 4, 2005
    ZONE 1
    Nice yotes. Question though what do you do with em once shot? If I hunt public land for them what would I do with em?

8. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Split the belly and leave lay nature will take care of it.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

9. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County
    Around here, I have to wait till the corn is shelled before I can do much coyote hunting. So far, only a few fields have been shelled, and none in the places where I hunt. I killed some coyotes here on my farm after the wheat was combined and before the beans were up to big, but it would be next to impossible to see them now. I guess I'll have about another month so y'all don't kill em all.