Coyotes During Gun Season

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
It’s weird, I hear them all the time but except an occasional trail cam pic, I haven’t seen one in probably 3 years while hunting.

Trapper Delk

12 pointer
Feb 10, 2020
Central Kentucky.
They prolly smell ya. If wind ain’t right they ain’t strolling by in my experience. They smell you thru all the other scents. Not like a deer. IMO. They a predator. They smart.
If I have my cover sent they never smell me,. Had one come in down wind I could've spit on it.
They can wind you easy though
I told a old trapper one time how smart I thought they was he said not really stupid things sleep outside and can't get out of rain

woodsman92

10 pointer
Feb 16, 2019
Russell Co
No I don't, I like calling them in, to me that's as good as killing a booner to have them come to the call.

I might not go quite that far but definitely close. Until a few years ago I would have thought that statement was crazy, but when I started trying to actively hunt and trap coyotes I gained a new respect for them. Shooting one that gives you a opportunity while deer hunting is one thing, but when you try to call them or set a trap for them to step in You learn just how smart and elusive them boogers really are.

OLE RASPY

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2018
Barren county
I like a good buck. Don’t get me wrong. But we eat deer meat. Can’t eat them antlers on one.
Now when it comes to Turkey hunting in spring if I don’t get one I’m depressed. Been a long time for that though. Same as coyote hunting. It’s second to none to Turkey hunting for me. I love it
Calling a coyote to the gun is little bit diff than trapping one. I have yet to trap one but I’m still trying. But I don’t work at it that hard.

James Scott White

6 pointer
Oct 17, 2020
Rowan County
I was just curious how many guys shot a coyote, or more than one, during the modern gun season. My group killed 4, but saw way more than we'd like.
I shot one on opening morning. Shot my buck that night- let him lay 2 hours and the freaking things chewed off a back ham before I got back to him with the Polaris. Unreal to me. Haven’t been back out but still have several showing up on cameras I’d like to remove.

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
West Liberty, Ky
I might not go quite that far but definitely close. Until a few years ago I would have thought that statement was crazy, but when I started trying to actively hunt and trap coyotes I gained a new respect for them. Shooting one that gives you a opportunity while deer hunting is one thing, but when you try to call them or set a trap for them to step in You learn just how smart and elusive them boogers really are.
That’s true for sure they are elusive. However I did have a friend that caught 23 last year in foot holds so not as rare as hens teeth.

woodsman92

10 pointer
Feb 16, 2019
Russell Co
That’s true for sure they are elusive. However I did have a friend that caught 23 last year in foot holds so not as rare as hens teeth.

Your friend has it figured out then. And no they are not rare, that’s the part that makes it that much more frustrating/rewarding. You know they are there in multitudes, but can’t even get a glimpse of one lol

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
West Liberty, Ky
Your friend has it figured out then. And no they are not rare, that’s the part that makes it that much more frustrating/rewarding. You know they are there in multitudes, but can’t even get a glimpse of one lol
For sure, I meant them being caught by trapping is not really rare for some. I’ve tried it last year for myself and so far only caught coons, opossums and several coon feet.

Latest posts