Coyotes During Gun Season

OLE RASPY

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2018
Barren county
I always shoot a coyote when I’m deer hunting Turkey hunting or whatever given the chance. I killed one this time while deer hunting. They don’t get a pass.
It doesn’t screw up deer hunting.
Idk what everybody thinks that deer hears a rifle shot and thinks it’s a human. They brain don’t work like that. They don’t know. IMO
DFFDCDA5-B01B-4D63-AFB2-CD3FE1685651.jpeg

Trapper Delk

12 pointer
Feb 10, 2020
Central Kentucky.
It's not the shot but the smell of the coyote that spooks them, reason I say that is more than once I've put down a yote or two going in to deer stand and watch a doe come out few hours later and cut wind of dead yote and leave out tail up. It's just me I don't want something that deer are afraid of laying out where I plan on seeing a deer

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
It's not the shot but the smell of the coyote that spooks them, reason I say that is more than once I've put down a yote or two going in to deer stand and watch a doe come out few hours later and cut wind of dead yote and leave out tail up. It's just me I don't want something that deer are afraid of laying out where I plan on seeing a deer

Ive had stuff like that spook as many to me as away from me. To each their own. If shooting a coyote = the end of my hunt. I’d climb down with a smile.

But your gonna trap em anyways.

WildmanWilson

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2004
Western Ky.
I always shoot a coyote when I’m deer hunting Turkey hunting or whatever given the chance. I killed one this time while deer hunting. They don’t get a pass.
It doesn’t screw up deer hunting.
Idk what everybody thinks that deer hears a rifle shot and thinks it’s a human. They brain don’t work like that. They don’t know. IMO
View attachment 94979
I don't think deer know a human made the noise of the shot but but deer do run sometimes when a shot is close enough. I'm not taking a chance of a big buck running away or changing direction just as he's about to walk into view for a shot. I set too many hours to take that chance. Especially during the rut. Cool picture....

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
West Liberty, Ky
I just killed one here in Ohio gun season. I used to think a gun shot bothered the deer but it doesn’t. In fact on 2 occasions I’ve killed a deer with gun and 30 seconds later have other bucks walk in. They generally have no idea where a shot comes from. That’s my experience.

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Nope that's what trapping is for,:D
I had one walk under me twice watched it hunt watched where it went and put trap on it foot first day I set traps there. ,. Today had a double.
If you want to shoot by all means go ahead ,. But them does and fawns are scared of that smell where it falls in my opinion
Respectfully disagree. I’ve seen deer walk over and near a dead coyote carcass without any hesitation.

Last edited:

Trapper Delk

12 pointer
Feb 10, 2020
Central Kentucky.
Respectfully disagree. I’ve seen deer walk over and near a dead coyote carcass without any hesitation.
No argument from me, I know people that believe both ways..
I trap on some that won't let me in till deer season is done and some that want me there soon as season starts ,,.
But I've seen the opposite happen maybe it was just the deer maybe it was smell of the yote that's been harassing them. If I didn't trap I'd probably be laying lead to them :D

shaman

10 pointer
I was just curious how many guys shot a coyote, or more than one, during the modern gun season. My group killed 4, but saw way more than we'd like.

I think we've actually bagged more during turkey season, but the Shamanic Dream Team considers coyote targets of opportunity in all seasons. Any time we nail a dog, it's a bonus.

Latest posts