Coyotes at night????

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by BIG DADDY, Jan 30, 2005.

1. BIG DADDY

BIG DADDY 6 pointer

Jan 6, 2005
    I was just wanting to make sure. A guy told me he hunts yotes at night with a light on his scope. Ain't that illegal in Kentucky?

2. Mount-N-Man

Mount-N-Man 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2004
    Yes it is. Hunting hours for yotes is 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset. I wish they would let us hunt yotes at night though.

3. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

It is illegal ,to use a artificial light, at night to hunt coyotes.
    Coyote hunting by moon light or on the snow is legal at night, unless law. has been changed just recently.

4. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    what about with a night vision scope

5. Mount-N-Man

Mount-N-Man 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2004
    It says on page 9 of the hunting guide that that shooting hours are 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset, except for racoons, opossums and frogs. So according to the book coyotes CAN NOT be taken at night with or without a light.

6. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

That's the stickler Moutn man. I have a copy of an e-mail here I sent for that say's yes. No lights and no electronics of any kind. Mouth calls only. This means not even a flashlight for an emergancy in your vehicle!! It was announced several years ago thet it was legal and has since been left out of the guides.

Depending on which coutny you live in and how much the local farmers are complaining it is basically up to the Game officer of that county. Some will haul you in and figure it all out later and others say nothing as long as the requirements are met. Meaning no lights and NO ELECTRONICS. This is strictly full moon phase or snow cover calling, makes it a lot easier on game officers. Jimmie

7. Mount-N-Man

Mount-N-Man 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2004
    If it is legal to hunt coyotes at night for the last several years why don't they put it in the guide that way? They shouldn't leave it up to the officer. If I knew for sure I would have went last week when we had a full moon and a good snow cover.

8. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

That's a very good question Mountnman. It was placed in there but never kept in there. That was the reason I sent for and recieved the E-mail . I believe a lot of it had to do with LE Officers in the field. There are not enough of them and they could wind up being on duty 24 -7. And it gives the heathens a chance at poaching .

The state of Ky will never allow hunting at night with lights because of poacher problems. I can't blame the game commission a bit. Poachers are something I've had to fight myself. Jimmie

9. Valley Station

Question?? It's legal to hunt coons and possums at night with a light.
    Is it legal to use a predator call to call up coons and shoot them over a light??
    If so, what difference should it make, "to prevent poaching wise" , if you shot a fox/coyote instead of a coon??
    Does law say you have to have dogs to hunt at night?? Isn't that prejudice over one type of hunter over an other??

10. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Someone needs to post this in the fish and wildlife questions forum to get an answer.

11. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

As far as I know it is not legal to call up anything with a light at night. By mouth call or electric. Foxes and coons are listed as furbearers and are protected .Jimmie

12. Valley Station

Jimmie, What do you mean, foxes and coons are protected?? You can shoot them during season.

13. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

My understanding is that the commision thought calling to be too effective a method for racoons and foxes at night. At that time there was a lot of money in trapping and there were a heck of a lot more trappers than there are today, far more than callers. So furbearers are protected and coyote's are not. The coyote is a late comer with no historical reference to the state. It is considered a pest where ever it shows up and often proves that fact.Pelts are not of a real decent quality to command a high price either.

Predator calling is relatively late in our hunting history. It got it's real start when the burnham bros went commercial with their calls back in the forties. There was a lot of press on just how effective these methods were. That press affected just how game commisions across the nation dealt with the sport. Western states with already high coyote populations accepted it readily and eastern states with limited predator populations all but banned or limited it. That is why we have the daytime regs for calling furbearers and night calling not allowed. Jimmie

14. Valley Station

I guess that is why it is legal to hunt foxes/coyotes at night with calls and lights in Indiana?? No restrictions in Indiana, can use spot light and mouth or electronic callers for foxes and coyotes during the season.
    Should be the same in Kentucky!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  15. Finn209

Finn209 Cyber-Hunter

Mar 13, 2003
    Lewisburg, KY. USA
    At one time coyote and bobcat were not listed under the legal definition of a "furbearer".

Which is why no regulation made it illegal to hunt them at night at that time. There was a regulation that made it illegal to hunt them using a light at that time.

Now they both are listed legally as a furbearer.

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/kar/301/002/251.htm

(4) "Furbearers" mean mink, muskrat, beaver, raccoon, opossum, gray fox, red fox, weasels, river otter, bobcat, coyote and striped skunk.

So now it is illegal to hunt them at night (with or without lights)

Section 6. Shooting Hours. A person shall not take small game or furbearers by hunting except during the times specified in this section.

(1) Small game or furbearers, except opossum and raccoon: daylight hours only.

(6) "Daylight hours" means the period from one-half (1/2) hour before sunrise to one-half (1/2) hour after sunset;