Coyote........

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by wasp, Dec 29, 2002.

1. wasp

wasp Spike

Jan 1, 2002
    ky..
    When do you all hunt coyotes, day or night??? i heard you cant use lights? is that right?? if so i guess just during day light... help me if you can... here were i live there are coyote all over the place it time to thin them out...seen a few bobcats too, any feed back on coyote,bobcat ,call this time of year? when to go ?? thanks wasp

2. muzzy125acc

muzzy125acc 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2002
    PULASKI CO..
    i am going to try it also any tips would help...

3. Chet Parsons

Chet Parsons Fawn

Dec 26, 2002
    Kingston, TN.
    wasp,
    I am not from Ky, but Tn. We don't get to hunt predators at night here so all of my calling is done during daylight hours.
    Here are a couple of things that may help with your coyotes and bobcats.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

I wish there was a set in stone method of coyote hunting, after years of trial and error I still mess up. Everyone has to start somewhere. I don't know how experienced you are or how strong the coyote population is in your area. I could write a book and still not touch everything. Here are a few things that may help.
    1: Most important.. At times nothing works, that is coyote hunting!
    2: You have to be still and quiet, NO quick movements or unusual sounds. Use total camoflauge if possible. Cover all bright metal and bare skin. I have seen guys faces and hands shine like a neon light. Please, no bean burritos for breakfast, was that a distress call I heard!
    3: Use natural cover...brush, trees, fence lines, the family outhouse, anything will do as long as you are not in wide open view. You may call coyotes while sitting in the open but it is harder to get them close. Coyotes are not dumb.
    4: Electronic tapes with distressed animals/birds and/or almost any type of predator hand calls will do fine, just don't over do the volume. If you are using a distress call, remember small prey animals don't have high volume. Start slow and soft, work the call for a short time, stop and listen. Experiment.
    5: Expect the unexpected, farm land is usually open ground, a coyote can come from any direction. Be ready to shoot.
    6: Pay attention to wind direction. I use red fox urine as a cover sent, not on me but around my stand. It may not help but it don't hurt. Plus coyotes love to eat foxes.
    7: And most important; Don't give up, I have called coyotes in five minutes other times after an hour I have started to get up and had a coyote bust me. You have got to be out there to get coyotes, I haven't shot one yet from the couch.
    8: Think like a coyote, hunt places coyotes like the most. If they are working an area you will see scat, tracks, ect. Coyotes travel a wide area, at times a 30 mile radius, the coyote you see today maybe miles away tomorrow. Some spots are natural funnels like ditches, fence lines and creeks. Coyotes use cover to their advantage, they will come into a open fields looking for a easy meal. Hunt the edges of fields, it works best for me.

Well, I almost wrote a book.
    Remember, call and they will come...sometimes!

Good luck,
    coyotehunter

And a little information gleamed from Critr, a friend from another board, I don't think he will mind too much if I share his experiences.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

OK, I am not the most qualified cat hunter on the board, but here goes.
    CAT 101
    If you are using hand calls, get a Crit’R-Call Pee-Wee. I don't know about the calls you are using, but I know these work. They are inexpensive, easy to use, and I have used mine to call coyotes, gray foxes, bobcats, and a lion. I gave one to my 11-year old grandson when he started calling, and he called coyotes and foxes the first few times out. They work.
    Call near rocks and heavy brush. Bobcats may not come out into the open (some will, but some will not).
    Call for an hour, about every 30 seconds (MUCH more frequently than for coyotes). After the first series or two, these can be short, but should be frequent.
    The higher the pitch of the call, the better.
    Set up with your back against something, and do not be looking around. Your objective is to get the cat out in front of you. A decoy helps get the cat out where you can see it. Feathers, weasel ball, whatever. However, it must be non-threatening. Cats are relatively timid (usually).
    Use a face net. Absolutely essential!! Keep your calling hand under it. Movement will ruin your chances.
    Do not be turning your head. Be like a statue.
    I suspect that, IF your calling is OK, and IF you are setting up properly, you are calling cats but not seeing them. Do not expect a lot of cats. I would venture that one in every 10-to-30 stands is good results. So it takes a lot of work to find one, and you just don't want to blow your chances when one responds.
    Finally, when you see one, DON'T MOVE!!!!
    WAIT!!!
    This is so vitally important. You have succeeded now in calling a cat, and you have succeeded in seeing it. Now is no time to blow it. Cats do not react like coyotes. To get shots the you want, you must treat them differently.
    Coyotes bolt at the merest hint of anything out of what he expects, and is gone in a flash.
    The normal defense reaction of a cat is to freeze motionless until they have the situation figured out. Take advantage of this reaction.
    Remain motionless until the cat is right where you want him. Wait! Be patient! Yeah, I know, your breathing can be heard a mile at this point
    If he does not get into position in a minute or two, lip-squeek. Just make a kissing sound. "The Kiss Of Death". Very effective. The only bad thing about it is it will make the cat rivit his attention on you.

Now, WHEN he is right where you want to shoot him, begin to bring your gun up very slowly. He will see you, and freeze. Keep moving slowly, and he will stand right there while you put his lights out!
    Finally (scenerio #2), if you are ready to leave the stand, and have seen nothing, DO NOT just get up and start walking. Have your gun ready. Stand up cautiously, and look around carefully. Take a step, stop, and look again. If you have a decoy or speaker out in front of you, approach it carefully, watching all around all the way. Move slowly. If you spot a cat, bring your gun up slowly. No sudden moves.
    BANG!!!
    Now that I have laid out exactly how cats act and react,
    MAIN RULE FOR CATS: Cats do not know the rules, and are unpredictable!
    Good luck, and have fun.
    Critr
    --------------------------------------------------

Good calling,
    coyotehunter

4. yotekiller

yotekiller Banned

Jan 20, 2002
    Wasp,i live in glasgow and would be willing to trade you a hunt anytime for a bobcat.

You can't hunt at night with lights,but if it's where you can see (moonlight)it's legal.A good way to start is with a quality video and if you live in the east you can't go wrong with Knight&Hale or primos.

Calling may be an exact science,however a critter dying isn't, so don't worry about making the perfect sound.Put plenty of emotion in it and you can't go wrong.I can take a fawn bleat call and make you'r mouth water for a rabbit in distress,so don't be overly concerned with the call.

If you have alot of predator hunters in you'r area you might have to get creative with the sounds you use.Don't worry about the time of day,just be sure to use you'r best stalking ability to you'r setup,including being extremely wary of you'r scent,noise,and camoflauge.

Go buy a stuffed animal that looks like a rabbit,unstuff it and put some springy wire in it and attach a fishing line on an old spinning reel to it.SET up the decoy and walk the line off the reel to you'r stand.Wrap the line tight around you'r steady hand and call,you should only have to barely move you'r finger to make the decoy dance.This works good for close brushy areas,as 80% of the time you will never see what you have called in.I have seen them run in wide open straight to a treetop and sit down to find where the sound was coming from,twitch the decoy and it's over,make a unnatural movement and it's over.You get the point.

Coyotes have the eyes of a turkey,hearing of a deer,and smell of a bear,you can fool them,but you have to be as slick as the road runner!

5. wasp

wasp Spike

Jan 1, 2002
    ky..
    Thanks for all the help,,i have 40ac, but the farmer next door has 300ac so there is alot of room to hunt,,iam the only one how hunts it ,the bobcats i seen were in deer season, the cats was chasing squirrels all over the place. the yotes are ever were. i get laid off in the winter so i thought i would try yotes hunting...and crow hunting..thanks again for all the help... iam going to give it a try........wasp

6. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Wasp , what county you in ? I thought you were in Breckinridge?
    Breck is not legal bobcat county.

7. wasp

wasp Spike

Jan 1, 2002
    ky..
    I live in Hancock county......wasp

8. wasp

wasp Spike

Jan 1, 2002
    ky..
    And hunt in Hancock wasp

9. Chet, you need to write a book, lots of good info. I can and do hunt predators day and night, with the best action usually being at night. I'm new to this forum, so I'll just sit back and do some watching for now, Good Hunting.