Coyote vocals or distress sounds

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by kydirtdog44, Feb 8, 2012.

1. kydirtdog44

kydirtdog44 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2011
    PENDLETON CO
    What type of vocal sounds would work best rite now and i only have female challange and female and male long howls would theese work and would distress sounds like grey fox or juvenile red fox , or canine pups work this time of year

2. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Use the canine distress sounds you have. Grey fox seems like it really ticks them off by the way they respond to it. Jimmie

3. kydirtdog44

kydirtdog44 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2011
    PENDLETON CO
    What type of sessions would u use with the canine vocals and how loud

4. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Volume is same as any other distress sound you may use. It doesn't have to be loud. I give it a minute or so and rest it for two to five minutes and repeat it. Most of the coyotes I have taken with these sound have been adults. I think these sounds trip that territorial response trigger. How they respond has been varied from rushing in wide open to sneaking in with hackles raised, head lowered, and ready to fight. So be alert, but keep your movement to an absolute minimum.

I do run the canine puppies constant. If you listen to a litter of pups they wimper and wine for quite a while. So I let this one run for full duration of the setup. This was actually the first canine distress sound I used. It amazed me at how well the adults responded to this sound. They were not as agressive as I have seen them with fox or coyote sounds, much like they were just hunting another prey.Jimmie

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  5. 30-30

30-30 8 pointer

Aug 26, 2011
    jimmy, how do you run the puppy sounds? with an E caller? if so what do you use?

6. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

I built my ecaller from a walkman tape player and amplifying speakers from radio shack. Still use it from time to time when I can't reproduce a sound I think I need . Tapes have enough time made in them to place it and get to your seat.

A popular rig at the time was the Dennis Kirk ecaller based on the walkman tape players with an outdoor speaker. It was selling for $75 . I built mine for around 30. Tapes were our biggest expense then.

A similar rig that can be built today was shown on Ky Afield last weekend. It was based on an mp3 player , amplifyer and outdoor speaker. To do it a bit cheaper get an amplifying speaker from Cass creek. These little toys are cheap and have all the volume you need to get started. You can easily put one together for $50 and download sounds from Varmint Als website.

Then if you really get into it and know your going to stick with it, you can get a fancy rig with all the bells and whistles at a later date.

My hunting setup at present is a turkey vest with attached seat. A string of two open reed calls and two closed reeds. A couple of old favorites in my vest pockets along with a choke collar for dogs as a carry handle or skinning gambrel, My shotgun and shells, and skinning knife. The older I get the longer the trails, the heavier the packs , and the steeper the hills. If I take my little ecaller it fits right in a vest pocket, but that is a rare occasion any more. Jimmie

7. 30-30

30-30 8 pointer

Aug 26, 2011
    wow, maybe im under outfitted, i have a little jonney stewart e caller, with just a few sounds, but coyote pup distess is one of them.
    i have a wood bipod, and an old camo cushion, that i can hang from the bipod, a pocket knife to skin with, and and old piece of nylon bailing twine to hang em from, and the circe hand call single reed closed call with 1/2 a q tip shoved in it to make it higher pitched

8. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

You only really need one more thing. An open reed call of some type. With an open reed pitch changes are easy with some practice and the number of sounds you can produce is only limited by practice and imagination. I am not crazy about the lil dog for beginers , but it's a decent enough call with some practice.

I haven't really kept up with what the companies are making since I started using customs. But what I carry allows me to recreate about a dozen sounds. Of which I use maybe half of. The enclosed reeds I carry allow for variations in pitches of some of those sounds. Not the wide variety you can get with modern ecallers, but you don't really need all they have programed in them. Jimmie

9. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Jimmie,
    You provide some great suggestions!! Thanks from all of us who enjoy your posts.....thanks for sharing!

10. Alpha Dodge

Alpha Dodge 6 pointer

Aug 8, 2011
    Hustonville, Ky
    .......+1!

11. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Thank you, that means a lot to me.

For me it has always been about the sport. I want to see beginers get a start as cheaply and easily as possible. Any body who has some hunting equipment already can get in this with just a pair of calls to start. And if they find they love this sport as much as the rest of us, then they can go for all the bells and whistles they want.

But lets see them get started and succeed above all else. I don't care if I ever see a picture. The elation in their words and the story of their first kill is good enough for me. Getting out there and hunting is what it's all about. Jimmie

12. Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk Fawn

Dec 24, 2010
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Well Jimmie in Kentucky, fancy seeing you over here! ;) Still got yer top knot?

13. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Hey Old goat, Good to see you too. And yes I still have my topnot attached ;-) Jimmie