Coyote season

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by hardwoods hunter, Dec 27, 2003.

1. hardwoods hunter

hardwoods hunter Fawn

Nov 23, 2003
    USA.
    When can you hunt coyotes in KY and what are the weapon restrictions?

A bad day hunting is better than a good day at work.

2. Injun 22-250

Injun 22-250 Fawn

Oct 5, 2003
    Philpot, Ky., USA.
    Coyote hunting is year round except during modern gun and muzzleload deer seasons(which are now over)You can hunt them during these seasons but must have a deer tag. You can hunt 30 min. before sunrise and 30 min after sunset.I believe any type of weapon can be used short of an Abrams tank. LOL

3. joekat46

joekat46 8 pointer

Jun 19, 2003
    North Port, Fl.
    There are weapon restrictions on some areas such as LBL and I'll bet others. Better check the Hunting Guide. The Abrams might work but it could be a bit loud[:D] and would probably be restricted to the off road vehicle areas[;)].

4. PredatorHunter

PredatorHunter Fawn

Nov 3, 2003
    Sonora, Ky., USA.
    You can also hunt at night but, you can't use a light or an electronic caller.That pretty much limits you to calling on moon lit nights;with mouth blown calls. But,some of the hunting I've done; came from night hunting. In fact twenty two of the fourty three I killed last year,were at night.

5. PredatorHunter

PredatorHunter Fawn

Nov 3, 2003
    Sonora, Ky., USA.
    I meant to say, some of the best hunting I've done;came from night hunting. Glad my hunting skill is better than my communication skills! Remember,it's mating season(for coyote;that is,not us)so, howling and barking sounds work wonders for yotes looking for mates!

6. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

PredatorHunter,
    Ever hunt on a snow at night?? Just full moon or bright nights??
    How do you set-up and call?? High spot in a field?
    Accidently shoot any dogs?
    What your recommendations??[:)]

7. PredatorHunter

PredatorHunter Fawn

Nov 3, 2003
    Sonora, Ky., USA.
    I'll try to answer your questions in order. I love to hunt on snow,especially with a full moon. However, I don't hunt while it's snowing;because,they den up during the snow shower.Twelve to twenty four hours before and /or after a rain or snow are great times to hunt!As for moon light;I hunt any time there's enough light to see a coyote approach.I usually set up along a fence row faceing a woods,with a field in between or,a small wooded area;such as a dozer pile(or a grassey area)in a field.As for hot spots;places where you see scat,such as logging roads,wood lines ect..That is how they mark their terrtory.Also,any place with cover joining a picked corn or soy bean field.My recommendations are as followes:keep the wind to your face,camo both face and hands,keep as still as possible and make sure there's something behind you to break your out line;such as a tree or fence post ect..If there's nothing to break your outline;lieing prone in a field works pretty good.Best of luck to ya!!

8. PredatorHunter

PredatorHunter Fawn

Nov 3, 2003
    Sonora, Ky., USA.
    By the way;I haven't shot any dogs accidentally or, otherwise;but, it sure has been tempting a few times, with the local mutts!

9. big gunner

big gunner Fawn

Jan 17, 2004
    pennsylvania.
    shoot them all i have to get out some more

be true with your shot