Coyote night hunting reg change

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by cityslicker, Sep 14, 2019.

1. ManofManyStangs

ManofManyStangs 6 pointer

May 4, 2009
    Got word from my local senator, he thinks this is going to pass! Don't stop calling for support.

2. hotdog

hotdog 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    Pike Co.,Ky
    i hope it does. Because the way it is now, shotgun only. It isn’t worth going.

JR in KY and ManofManyStangs like this.
  3. RDV22

RDV22 Fawn

Feb 21, 2020
    Georgetown KY
    I sure hope this passes, I'm locked and loaded.

4. Davidlondon4

Davidlondon4 12 pointer

Dec 2, 2004
    Laurel County

I read earlier in this thread the game commission gave approval to do this. As far as legislation being filed this bill (HB 52) is being sponsored by Derek Lewis and one other legislator as far as I know. This bill was referred to the House of Representatives Tourism and Outdoor Recreation committee on 01/07/2020. From what I can tell its still sitting right there in that committee with no movement. If you want to see this bill brought out of the committee and make it to the House floor for a vote you need to start calling the committee members. Those members are as follows: Tommy Turner from Pulaski County is the Committee Chairman. Chris Fugate from Perry County is the Vice Chair. Other committee members are Terri Branham Clark, Jeffery Donohue, Deanna Frazier, Chris Freelan, Robert Goforth, David Hale, Cluster Howard,Kim King, Bobby McCool, Ruth Ann Palumbo,Brandon Reed, Rachel Roberts, and Ashley Tackett Lafferty.
    The number you need to call is 1-800-372-7181. Ask to leave a message for the whole committee and/or your own state representative whether they are on this committee or not. Tell them you are in support of House Bill 52. With the House passing the budget bill they may be ready to take up other legislation but time is growing short. Over 1300 bills have been filed this session. The biggest majority of them will sit right there never having any action taken other than being filed. The only way to get them to move is to start calling and leaving message of your support. When you call you will be asked your name, address, who you want to leave the message for, and what your message it. If you have previously called and left messages your info should already be in their system.Telling them you have previously called will shorten the time needed.The shorter your message the better. The operators like to write it down exactly as you say it. I think during this session the operators may be there from 7 am to 9 pm Monday thru Thursday. Only open to 7 am to 6 pm on Friday. These hours may or may not have been adjusted.

ManofManyStangs likes this.
  5. Davidlondon4

Davidlondon4 12 pointer

Dec 2, 2004
    Laurel County
    House Bill 52 still sitting there in Tourism and Outdoor Recreation committee. There were other pieces of legislation:listed that had been reportable favorably. This hadn't even been done for HB 52 This committee supposedly meets every Thursday at 10:00 am. Between this morning and Thursday at 10 am is the time to make your phone calls and leave committee members a message to support HB 52.

6. trevorpt

trevorpt 6 pointer

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern Ky - Florence
    Has anyone heard any updates on this? Did it stall due to the virus?

7. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    Night hunting with a rifle 6.5mm and smaller passed. It's in the new hunting guide. It will be allowed on private property from Dec. 1st through March 31st.

nat103, Feedman, JR in KY and 2 others like this.
  8. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    That is the first Good News I have heard in a While.
    Get yer NV out boys.
    A lot of Coyotes are going down.
    I been using one for years anyway, but I've about quit it all now.

Meatstick likes this.
  9. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    Here's a link to the new hunting guide. For coyotes it says

"Coyotes can be hunted year-round, day or night, but can only be hunted using lights or night vision equipment from Dec. 1, 2020 – May 31, 2021. A night hunter may use a rifle of 6.5 mm or smaller on private land from Dec. 1 – March 31.

Shotguns using a multiple projectile load (slugs are prohibited) may be used to hunt coyotes after daylight hours from Dec. 1 – May 31 on public or private land. A night hunter shall not use any firearm other than a shotgun on public land.

Lights or other night vision equipment meant to make coyotes visible at night cannot be connected to or cast from a mechanized vehicle. Night hunting shall not be allowed in a county or area where a deer or elk firearm or muzzleloader season is open."

https://fw.ky.gov/Hunt/Documents/HuntingGuideEntire.pdf

10. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    This specifically says rifle. Does this mean an AR pistol would not be allowed?

11. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Unless it says handgun is legal, along with rifle, then its not legal i guess.

12. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Would love to know how they came up with a 6.5/.264 max bullet. Hunt with a 6.5 win mag, 26 nosler, 6.5x300 wby but not a .270????? Why have a limit?

cityslicker likes this.
  13. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Yes it pretty stupid to stop it at 6.5 I have a 6.8 I wanted to make a dedicated night rig out of. A 243 is a hell of alot more powerful than a 6.8 maybe have grain limit on ammo instead of caliber size limit.

kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  14. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    Dedicated night rig? I thought you were vehemently opposed to night hunting? What changed your mind and brought you to the dark side?

15. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I don't like the fact they are doing it I think it's a bad idea! But I've been hunting with a shotgun so why not?
    I'm not worried about me hunting at night it's the idiots that will be drinking and shooting everything that moves.
    I will make you a bet before December is over there will be a thread on here with multiple Archery deer hunters pissed because of deer getting ran off or shot at night!
    If you haven't killed your target buck by Dec 1st your not going to be happy no matter how much land you own.

We have the best chances at killing coyotes right now as we will ever have.
    Just look at face book and see how many people are still hunting them right now.
    I love to hunt coyotes more than any other animal we have, but I know in order to be able to kill them we have to have them alive, I won't hunt this time of yr because they have pups, so I let them grow so this winter I will have something to hunt.
    But all those people still hunting won't have any to hunt so they will start hunting other places and those other places might be your places or places near your places.

Next thing you know you haven't got any to hunt, now I know some people will think that great but in reality the coyotes will survive and just stop coming to calls.

My concerns are like John Collins he's making a living hunting, he's selling his product and making his videos, if he's not killing coyotes he's done. You said you've talked to him and like him and that's great, but when he kills all the coyotes he's got in his areas he hunts what's he going to do? He's going to think where can I find some coyotes I needs some to keep going or I will loose my sponsors!
    So he remebers the guy who told him he has tons of coyotes but is having problems getting them killed and we'll you can figure the rest out on your own.

I know lots of great coyote hunters and deer hunters and most won't talk about or post pics for that reason.