Coyote night hunting reg change

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by cityslicker, Sep 14, 2019.

1. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    I just heard that the new coyote night hunting regulation passed on Friday. If what I heard is true night hunting with a rifle and lights will be from Dec. 1st-Mar. 31st. .243 will be the largest caliber allowed and must have written landowner permission on your person while hunting. Not sure if it goes into effect this year, but I'd assume it will.

Amanda_M and YoteFinder like this.
  2. AllDodge

AllDodge Fawn

May 20, 2019
    South Central, KY
    From the hunting guide

Yotes.jpg

3. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    They just passed a NEW regulation on the 13th to include rifle at night with certain rules. Read my post. What you posted has been on the books for several years now.

4. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Do you have a link. I couldn’t find nothing. Thanks

5. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    No I don't have a link. I knew someone on Facebook who was in contact with Fish and Wildlife pushing for the rule change. I'll post any additional information as soon as I hear more.

6. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
  7. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    Not a done deal. I emailed F&W, here's the response:

Jason,

Nothing has passed legislative vote yet, only the vote of our commission. These new regulations will not go into effect until they are passed by legislature and written into law. Please see a breakdown of the new proposal that passed our commission below:

· Approved an amendment to the furbearer regulation that would allow for nighttime hunting of coyotes using lights or night vision equipment to be extended to Dec. 1-March 31. During this time a rifle could be used except during any firearm season for deer or elk (elk restrictions would only apply to the elk zone counties). Rifles are limited to 243 or below. If passed through legislation, this wouldn’t go into effect until 2020 season.

Thanks,

Chace

8. YoteFinder

YoteFinder Fawn

May 30, 2019
    Hidden Holler
    This will be a game changer if it passes! Fingers crossed..... Can only hope. I can understand both sides of the debate but if the said hunter is not responsible or have enough common sense to know his surrounding and difference between a farm animal and coyote they probably need to rethink a few things in life

JR in KY and Amanda_M like this.
  9. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Now, That would be a great thing if it happens.
    The current restrictions make it difficult to legally kill tham at night.
    I tell you, they are total different critters at night. They act like Dogs and get careless.

YoteFinder likes this.
  10. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Yea I’d like to see it passed. I might go then. I’ve only been once at night with shotgun no luck. But I feel handicapped with shotgun coyote hunting for some reason.

YoteFinder likes this.
  11. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Bad news for the trappers...….if Hatsan can start using his air rifles, fur gonna be hard to come by !!

12. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    I tried night hunting for the first two years after it was first implemented and it was worthless with a shotgun. I can’t wait for this to go into effect. Now I can hunt both sides of the river with a rifle at night. This is a few years over due imo. Now if we can get crow season dates changed I’m in heaven.

cityslicker likes this.
  13. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    It will definitely be a game changer to be able to use a rifle at night. Like you said, it's pretty much worthless using a shotgun. I'm waiting for the new law to pass and then I'm investing in a digital night vision scope.

Jacobhwrd and JR in KY like this.
  14. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    Why can't you hunt with a light year around? :confused: Are they afraid we will kill to many? It is not safe to shoot something you cannot see.
    Kind of like a movement shpt or a brush shot .I cannot see in the dark.