Coyote kill bill passes house on to senate

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by buckson, Feb 22, 2013.

1. buckson

buckson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    kentucky
    You guys can look it up there passing a bill to let you hunt coyotes of the night with spotlight with 10 to 20 gauge shotguns only, no slugs. I just heard about this yesterday seems it slide trough kinda quiet. What your thoughts? Diehard bowhunter here I think it will be abused an poachers will use it to more openly spotlight sayen there hunting coyotes when in fact the deer rifle is hide in there truck. Looks like more work for Co s to short out on already undermanned force.

2. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    I'm all for night hunting coyotes. The way I read it there will be no night hunting during deer season. I doubt many deer are poached during the spring and summer when bucks don't have hard racks. I don't hear of rampant poaching in Indiana and Ohio and they allow night hunting, so to me that argument is lame.

3. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    I agree with buckson. When you turn a bunch loose at night with a spotlight and weapons your asking for trouble. I may be wrong but i am against it.

4. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    What about coon hunting?

5. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Just wait till the phone calls start coming in at night from pissed off land owners.The [email protected] will wished it never passed.

6. erwin1

erwin1 10 pointer

Nov 6, 2008
    lewis co
    You have been able to call at night and hunt with light in Ohio for years not sure if limited to shotgun or not on coyotes and foxes but I do know you can hunt hogs at night in Ohio with a rifle and they have no worse poaching problem than we do

7. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Isn't trespassing still trespassing? What makes you guys think that people are going to just randomly start driving around with a cooler full of beer just shining fields in the off chance that they spot a coyote? That's not a particularly effective way to kill a coyote. As cityslicker said, coon hunters are already able to hunt their quarry at night with a light. At least with coyote hunters, they're not apt to be crossing several properties chasing their dogs.

If someone wants to spotlight a deer and shoot it, they're already going to do it.

Nothing like hunters interested in one particular game animal taking a dump on their fellow hunters that may be interested in doing something else.

8. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    I see a lot more DUI's being issued

9. finelydeerhunting

finelydeerhunting 8 pointer

Nov 7, 2006
    Finley, KY
    I approve this post! I agree 100% quackr.

10. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Think again. I've seen does killed and left laying every month of the year. Maybe the tenderloins are cut out, maybe they're not. Our former CO got an anonymous call one night telling him to go look at a certain crossroads. He got there and found 5 does in a stack, killed just for the fun of it. Antler poaching is the minority around here. Thrill killing is the majority and it'll happen regardless if the coyote bill or any other bill passes or not.

11. The Lawn Man

The Lawn Man 6 pointer

Dec 7, 2011
    Ky
    Im getting me a spotlight and and that call as so as it all passes
    sounds like a good time to me

12. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Nothing against you but I despise comments like this. It gets me riled up for nothing. If I ever heard of someone doing this, it wouldn't be pretty. I can't even find the words at how bad this pisses me off.

13. RUB LINE

RUB LINE 12 pointer

Sep 3, 2011
    Hillsboro, ky
    Most coon hunters are using wheat lights but anyway I'm not sold on it. Before they totally outlawed spotlighting because it was "just to much temptation". Now you can not only spotlight but shoot yotes?

I don't know how good you could do calling yotes even at night with just a shotgun though. I do know this, spotlighting is an excellent way to pattern deer. I guess I'll be doin a little "yote huntin";)

Goals/Catches
    Coon 15/25
    Coyote 3/4
    Fox 3/2
    Beaver 2/9
    Otter 1/0
    Mink 1/0
    Bobcat 2/4
    Skunk 0/2
    Grinner 0/lost count

14. buckson

buckson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    kentucky
    How many yotes will be full of 20 gauge shot that the irresponsible guys try to shoot to far. Im all for new hunting ways an dont want to crap on what others may want to do but come on guys a 20 gauge. Ill be picking birdshot out of coyote pelts next trapping season that is if they dont cripple off an die of infection. No no this is a sad day for the coyote.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  15. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Evidently you don't live around my neck of the woods. When this passes the back roads will be bumper to bumper with people " hunting coyotes". Im not trying to take a dump on anyone but as buckson stated. Do you know how effective a 20 guage is on a yote? Thats a joke in my oppinion. If you've got him close enough to kill consistently and ethically with a 20 gauge you should just lasso him and club him with a mag lite.