Coyote hunting with dogs

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by RackedUP, Jan 30, 2017.

1. RackedUP

RackedUP 8 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    So, I'm admittedly a novice at predator hunting and calling. I was watching a show on the outdoor channel and they were coyote hunting with two live "decoy dogs". Has anyone ever used this method? Was it successful? Is it legal in KY?

2. coyote1758

coyote1758 6 pointer

Oct 10, 2010
    nicholasville ky.
    Yes ,legal in Ky. Yes works really well but if you are a novice at yote hunting I would suggest getting better before trying dogs. With the dogs there is a lot going on to control and still get the shot on the yote plus having one of these dogs is a lot of work because they are very high energy. If you get to that point it is a blast

3. childersb24

childersb24 8 pointer

Mar 25, 2010
    I've seen this done also and it looks fun. Coyotes have no season so I'd say it's legal if you wanted to try it. Killem all

4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Been discussed and have been past members using dogs. Also saw the same show the OP did this afternoon. It's one of those things I'd love to watch or go with someone just to see them work. But I also see you need to spend a lot of time with the dogs. Which is why I got out of the beagle business years ago.. I just couldn't spend the time I needed and they deserved.

Here's a few threads that came up in a search ....

http://www.kentuckyhunting.net/forums/threads/dogs-for-coyote-hunting.141855/

http://www.kentuckyhunting.net/forums/threads/coyote-decoy.127789/#post-2037314022

http://www.kentuckyhunting.net/forums/threads/decoy-dogs-sometimes-bad.113615/#post-2037141329

http://www.kentuckyhunting.net/forums/threads/decoy-dog.68984/#post-657552

5. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I wasn't paying attention to who replied on this .. as it was many of your past post on this that I remembered reading.

Hard to beat some first hand experience you have given.

6. coyote1758

coyote1758 6 pointer

Oct 10, 2010
    nicholasville ky.
    High J D Miller been a while glad to see you still posting. You always had some good ones. Just saying hi

7. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Mr Miller is the mayor and keeps us troglodytes in line.

coyote1758 likes this.
  8. mrjohn12

mrjohn12 Fawn

Jun 1, 2016
    You are hunting in too open of an area. I have been coyote hunting for about 3 years. They have an incredible sense of smell and will usually circle down wind of the caller trying to identify the sound. If the wind is blowing torwards an open field, they have no reason to come close because they can catch the scent from over 200 yards away. Find a good funnel in the brush with the wind blowing off the field into your face and be ready for them to try and sneak behind you. In short, play the winds in your favor and know that they rely on their sense of smell more than anything else. Good luck and clean shots

9. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I hunt with a decoy. It's great but takes alot of luck and hard work to find the right dog.
    Your dog must mind your every command, mine goes every where I go even to work with me.
    When I put on his shock collar or get my camo out he goes crazy. I only use the beep mode on my collar to control him.
    Learn how to call and kill coyotes first before trying a dog.
    Then let the dog show you the stuff you will never know learn by hunting with out them.