Coyote Hunting at Night

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Yote Killer, Dec 5, 2010.

1. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

That is probably the most accurate statement in this thread.

2. Oscar

Oscar 6 pointer

Sep 22, 2009
    Oscar, KY
    i think the dept is so closed-minded on the issue, that they wont even try it at all. i was thinkin maybe have a 30 day season in end of feb or march, (deer loosing antlers) and have a permit you have to buy to be able to hunt. i think 100 bucks isnt out of the question for the permit, and there would be more revenue. no reason theyshouldnt try it and see.

3. Blevins Gap Outdoors

Blevins Gap Outdoors 12 pointer

Nov 9, 2002
    Louisville, KY
    It has been done before by a number of people, myself included. I use to hunt in Indiana a lot, they allow night hunting and have for years. I talked to a C.O. over there about it and his opinion was it was no big deal. It has been pointed out in the past to the dept. that night hunting in Indiana has been going on for a long time with no real problems. They will not change their minds no matter what logic is used. It like whipping a dead horse!!!

4. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

The light issue is not going to change at all. Because it is a major tool of the poacher. Red lense or clear it matters not.

Anyone who thinks a professional criminal isn't going to spend a few dollars on calling equipment so he or she can look legit is fooling themselves.Poaching wouldn't be so rampant if it were not financially lucrative. Word is locally they are selling off our deer herd one carcass at a time. At present they are not just panning a light for a few minutes here. Nor are they using hte roads for their dirty work. They are driving in hte fields in the early hours of hte morning. Believe me it's a pain to be awakened at 2 or 3 am and they are gone by the time you can out the door. This has happened 3 times in the last two weeks.

When we had it people broke the laws and used lights to hunt at night. They had an excuse and used it. We lost this oportunity because of this. They did not bother to read the laws on it they went out and hunted preds at night in whatever way they chose. Had this not happened we might have gotten the laws changed in hte future to allow lights. As it is we lost an oportunity given to us. Either fight for what you may be able to get or forget it. Jimmie

5. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    Make shooting a deer at night a minimum of five years in the pen.

With a heavy fine. Punish the poachers not the good guys.

6. hendz71

hendz71 Spike

Aug 13, 2007
    Hartford, KY
    It is the same way in Ohio. The CO's also told me the same thing about it not being a big deal with yote hunting at night. The most fun I ever had yote hunting was in Ohio. When the yotes come out at night they come out from everywhere. It is very easy to find them with a little help of sirens. We were hunting a field and the police went down the road with their sirens going and the yotes went nuts. Then the shooting began.

7. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    It's called "made for TV" and if you watched last night, they even said that their schedules were dictated by the activity. When you edit a tv show, of course you can make it look like someone is working around the clock.. but I bet money that they don't.

How long would you be willing to work loads of overtime if you weren't getting paid for it?

On a side note, I am with some of the others in thinking that I can't see a whole lot of difference between being able to coon hunt at night with spotlights and coyote hunt.

8. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

On a side note, I am with some of the others in thinking that I can't see a whole lot of difference between being able to coon hunt at night with spotlights and coyote hunt.[/QUOTE]

There is a huge diference between the two. In coon hunting you are panninng upwards looking for eyes with low powered lights to get them to look so you can find them. Then a shooting light comes into play.

With a light for coyote hunting you are panning the ground around you. Lighting all manner of eyes that show up. And lets face it and be honest, with the number of idiots we have out there with a gun, they would shoot the eyes and not worry about what it is until after the shot. I stopped a poacher once just before he shot my horse. We want good landowner relations not bad ones. We want to hunt, not be shut out every time we talk to a farmer. Let one farmer in a comunity loose a cow or dog to this and we are done in that area for many years. Jimmie

9. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    [/QUOTE]

There is a huge diference between the two. In coon hunting you are panninng upwards looking for eyes with low powered lights to get them to look so you can find them. Then a shooting light comes into play.

With a light for coyote hunting you are panning the ground around you. Lighting all manner of eyes that show up. And lets face it and be honest, with the number of idiots we have out there with a gun, they would shoot the eyes and not worry about what it is until after the shot. I stopped a poacher once just before he shot my horse. We want good landowner relations not bad ones. We want to hunt, not be shut out every time we talk to a farmer. Let one farmer in a comunity loose a cow or dog to this and we are done in that area for many years. Jimmie[/QUOTE]

Good point Jimmie, but if it's MY land I should at least be allowed to use a light and a shotgun.

10. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I have coon hunted a lot. There's probably as much ground panning with a spotlight in one night of coon hunting as there ever is predator hunting.

11. Blevins Gap Outdoors

Blevins Gap Outdoors 12 pointer

Nov 9, 2002
    Louisville, KY
    In all of the years that I coon hunted (20+) I shinned more light on the ground than in the tops of the trees. And yes that would include spotlights. There is no difference, shinning a light is shinning a light!!!

12. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Do you have a caller going atracting all manner of animals to it. Or are you walking along , talking, making racket, calling to dogs etc.? I coon hunted as well many years ago.

I believe the state is thinking the same thing I am. Numbers of fools out there shooting at eyes as well as using it as an excuse to poach. And there are very few animals left that I have not called in.Cattle and horses come just as readily as predators to sounds we use, especially at night. One of the problems I had working cattle farms at night.

I hate it that illegal activity is hurting us as much as hte rest of you. But that is hte fact we have to deal with. Landowners played a big roll in getting rid of lights at night, and I can't blame them at all. I too have lost livestock to poachers. When a farmer goes out and finds a top steer with hte back straps gone he gets real ticked off. And poachers are still costing landowners thousands of dollars a year with the laws against lights we have in place. So why fight a battle you can not win! Jimmie

13. lexfd

lexfd 6 pointer

Aug 27, 2008
    At peace in a tree
    I don't see a problem with the end of Feb or Mar season...it would help my deer herd #'s more than anything I think. Save on the fawn loss in the spring and the turkeys would like a little less pressure from the yotes as well. I wouldn't think you would have many deer lost at this time due to the loss of their racks.
    That's just me, I'd do anything to thin the dogs out and get the deer herd #'s back up.

14. TarKennels

TarKennels 6 pointer

Jan 6, 2009
    Campbellsville ky
    The way I'm reading it say we only have to use a .22 during modern gun season, Any other time we can use a 300 win mag if we want lol

During modern gun deer season, raccoon and opossum hunters may not hunt during daylight hours or use guns other than .22-caliber rimfire to take these species while hunting at night. Night hunting on Friday, Nov. 12 shall conclude by a half-hour before sunrise on Saturday, Nov. 13, 2010, which is when shooting hours for modern gun deer season open. No bag limit.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  15. True Rifleman .270Win

True Rifleman .270Win 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2010
    CLASSIFIED
    During youth season we had yotes runnin with in 20 yards of our blind when it the sun came up we saw they were chasin deer they chased away a monster ten. Thay went to come back across the field I put the crosshairs of my .270 on the biggest one and let him get a taste for lead. I blew one side of his rib cage plumb off. I agree they should let us hunt at night .