coyote hunting at night. What is legal?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by deerhuntinginky, Dec 19, 2009.

1. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Show that game warden the Hunting Guide that contains my reply above. He can't stop you from doing your job as a farmer and landowner just as you can't stop him from shining a light on your field in his "course of duty". He needs to be corrected on the issue.

2. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    It's amazing to see the differences between what the CO's will tell you, what the Hunting Guide states, and how the Kentucky laws actually read. There are some key points that the law addresses that the CO's and the Hunting Guide fail to mention.

I'm not knocking the KDFWR, but it is obvious that they take a few shortcuts of interpretation in order to make the very difficult job of enforcement a little easier.

3. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Mezewell, read that again and think about it a bit. That wording can be interpreted by any officer any way he see's fit. That wording can mean headlights only the way it is written. While the legitamate farmer could easily beat this in a court of laws he still will lose money and time defending him or herself.

We have many laws written this way and they come up each year in discussion during the season. Jimmie

4. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Don't they have to pass some kinda competency test? Those semi-colons(;) are there for a reason. I was checked while getting some cattle in one night several years ago. He knew the law though and could tell that I was working(cows out) rather than hunting and I had no gun with me at the time. The real key should be "landowner". Spotlights aren't illegal but they can be used for illegal acts as well as legitimate ones. Most CO's are well versed on the laws and know that they need to work with landowners and visa versa to stop poachers. I don't see how my post can be read in any other way, but that's just me.---Mike Ezell
    p.s.---I'd say that if a co stopped me from getting my cattle in and a wreck was caused by them, that there may be legal ramifications toward him for not knowing the law.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  5. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Ah, theres the rub, not all farmers are the owner of that particular piece of property. My neighbor runs many head over many diferent farms, and in several counties. I know of two others like him running similar operations.

It all depends on the co's interpretation of the laws. Just like our former night hunting rules. Hunters were confused all over the state when they asked co's diferent questions. One said night vision was legal while another said the oposite. One decided that night vision was an electronic aid and therefore illegal. Laws stated no lights of any kind. And to me that meant not even a flashlight in your truck if you didn't want any trouble. Any co could decide that you were using it to hunt with .

I would like to see night hunting return in some form even if it was with the no lights rule for predators or at least coyotes. I could live with that . Jimmie

6. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    It would be sweet to go out on those bright moonlit nights in the winter months. Especially if there was snow on. Pack a shotgun and your favorite call and break loose!:D Seen that on a video a couple years back with the Drury boys hunting at night and out of helicopters...Now that looked like fun!!!

7. lmcquinn

lmcquinn 6 pointer

Feb 12, 2008
    Crazy that you can't hunt them at night. Can't understand the rational unless its so that people aren't out spotlighting deer and simply say they are coyote hunting. Just my thoughts.

8. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County
    Okay, for the sake of argument, I'll be a little more specific about what I was told. Several years ago, I was asked by the game warden if I had heard any shots at night, since he had a report that a local slob hunter had shot a big buck in my neighborhood. He said the same guy had told him people were spotlighting next to him. I told the warden that I was sometimes out at night checking cows and tobacco barns. I asked the warden just what exactly was the law concerning farmers and spotlights. He told me that I could shine all the lights I wanted to on my property, doing a legitimate farm chore, just as long as I didn't have weapon capable of killing a deer in my truck. Now, I never go anywhere at night without a gun of some kind. I have my CC permit, but I often times had a rifle in the pickup, one that was carried as my truck gun. The warden said that he would never check someone like me, because he knew I was a farmer. But, still, in his words, I was breaking the law because I was using a spotlight doing chores, and was also in possession of a firearm. I interputed what he told me, as being that I could pretty much do as I pleased by headlight, but not by spotlight, even though I could see a heckuva lot better with that million candlepower, hand-held spotlight. I know there are people in Kentucky, and everywhere else, as far as that matter goes, that will spotlight with the sole purpose of killing a deer. You can make all the laws you want, and it still won't stop those people. And even if they are caught, too many times they are merely slapped on the wrist and back to doing it again, practically overnite. Those of us who aren't going to kill a deer by spotlighting, are not being allowed to hunt varmints at night, like other states allow, because of the actions of a few slob hunters and the KDFWR's outdated policies.

9. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    Poachers are gonna poach no matter what the law says. But those of us who follow the law pay the price.

10. wked

wked 6 pointer

Nov 26, 2008
    West KY
    With zero experience hunting them at night, I have a question. Would calling them at night make them all but impossible to call in daylight? Granted, taking a shotgun a few nights a month would be fun, it makes me wonder if it would almost put an end to calling them in the daylight. There are a few on here in KY that have hunted at night, as well as some folks from states that allow night hunting. What has been your experience?

11. IF you killed em' it would ;) Seriously, hunting them at night is a totally different ballgame. You will call in 3/4 times as many at night, as you will during the day time. I've hunted them at night, in states where lights are allowed, as well as here in kentucky. It is a blast. Can't remember the specifics but was told (2nd hand info) that a Farmer connected to Frankfort had a cow shot by a coyote hunter and that led to doing away with the night hunt......Seems to me, lights would have solved that problem too.

12. duxdown 1

duxdown 1 6 pointer

Jan 9, 2009
    western ky
    Night hunting

I believe the largest problem here is people once used spot lights from a vehical to just observe deer, I did this as well when it was legal. I have located some very large deer this way, when otherwise one would have never known they were around. Problem was that it became impossible for a Warden to determine who was shining and enjoying wildlife and who was the next potential shooter, unless they caught them in the act. People was constently calling in saying some one is shining on my property and I think I heard a shot. I have saw some mighty big carcusses laying in the fields in years past with the head missing.With the advent of Tele check this made it easier to shoot at night and just turn it in the next day by phone.
    I too miss the days of hunting at night, but I can see the burden it would put on Wildlife officers that have to cover may miles in a county with out the aid of additional officers.
    On a good note: I still have the ability to take them during the day and on a snowey morning watching one come a runnin is priceless in your memory.

13. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    Sorry but I totally don't understand that statement.......

As opposed to shooting it then and taking it to a check station the next day????:confused:

IF someone won't legally check a deer with telecheck NO way will they take it to a check station....more work and time and $ for the same result to check it in, totally not logical to believe otherwise IMHO

14. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Calling at night did not change my daylight results. If anything it made me a better daylight hunter because I understood the role of camo much better. It's all a game of lights and shadows. When you failed to make full use of the night shadows you came up with a big goose egg no matter how many you called in. I have learned that making use of shadow will aid you a great deal no matter what time of day you hunt.

As for hunters being unable to tell what they were shooting under those conditions , that is hog wash. Even in open fields without frost on hte ground ,you can still tell the diference in grey fox, bobcat , and house dogs. Don't tell me some idiot shot a cow under moonlight conditions. The fool was using a light and shooting at eyes when he shot the cow. On the night of the full moon you can see the v saddle on a coyote at fifty yards in a frosty bean field. Been there and done it. Any one taking anything not legal is a poacher, period. I still want a bobcat bad , but I let them walk at night back then. A ticked off Tom on a moonlit night does make for an exiting hunt, even if you can't take him. Jimmie

15. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

If I was trapppin', an caught a coyote in a trap, was checkin' my traps at midnight.
    Would I have to wait to daylight to finish him off with a 22 to the noggin'??