Coyote Head Shot...#10

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by JR in KY, Nov 19, 2012.

1. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I got home from work a little earlier today, so I decided to go look for a Coyote before dark. I went to the "back forty" of my land; had not called there this year. I walked in and eased out into the edge of the woods; sat down with my back against a big beech tree. I set up facing more "right" as I am right handed and fingured I could swing left if need be.
    I just sat there for about 10 minutes watching the squirrels and birds letting the area settle in. I reached in my pocket and retreived my old Primos Littl Dog mouth call. I called very low at first and only for about 5 seconds, in case there was a close in Coyote.
    Nothing showed up, so about 5 minutes later I called some more a little louder, but only for about 20 seconds. I just watched and listened. I repeated the process after a few minutes, only calling for a short time. By now the Dogs about 600 yards away across the creek were getting involved. I figured it they could hear the calling, so could a Coyote.
    Now my phone buzzed. It was my buddy Coyote George and he was making fun of me trying to call a Coyote in the late afternoon. He said "They might come, but it's a lot harder in the evening." I agreed with him and didn't really expect anything to show up. I was just having a good time sitting quietly in the woods alone.

I made one more set of calling and just leaned back against the old beech tree. Wait. What's that moving over to my right??? I definitely saw something move. I slid down real low and rested the foreend of my Rem. 204 on my knee. I was looking right through the scope at the spot I had seen movement. May have been a small deer I thought. Just then, I can see some Fur sticking out behind a good size tree. I keep watching through my Leupold scope...it moves a little, but stays mostly hidden. I decide to not use my Primos...I don't want to take the scope off the tree. I MEEOOOW pretty loud. More Movement. Maybe 2 full minutes has gone by. I MEEOOOW again, and see a Coyote snout stick out to the right side of the tree. OH Yeah. I do the Cat thing again and I can see about half of his head now. I am thinking: "Just sit tight and wait him out....he will show himself." But. My back and Neck is really getting tired by now.

The .204 has really been shooting well and I am confident of my Zero, so I consider a Head Shot. A Little over 50 yards.
    Here comes the head mostly out now.
    I put the target dot on the Coyotes Head and start squeezing. I change my mind.
    Surely he is going to step out in the open. Maybe?? But he may just go back the way he came in. Maybe 4 or 5 minutes has elapsed and my neck and arms are really gettting weak.

I make a Decision. If he sticks it out again, I'm Firing. But I know I should just wait.
    Long pause, but here comes the Head out with a little of his neck showing too. He's looking Right. I FIRE>>>>>>>>>>

The Coyote just flops Backwards and doesn't even Twitch. I get myself togther and walk over to the other side of the ravine. I see WHY, he doesn't even twitch. DRT. A 39 SBK Right in the side of the Head 64 yards. Nasty looking Coyote for sure. I consider myself Lucky that I made the Shot, BUT I made it.
    But I still don't recommend taking a bad shot like that.
    Total time till the Coyote came in was about 30 minutes, total actual calling time maybe a minute or a little more. Just waiting fer him.

2012_1119JRinKY0008.jpg

2012_1119JRinKY0017.jpg

Remington 700 VSS, Leupold 6.5 X 20, 39g SBK, Rel 10X, ATACS Camo by Brothers Hydrographics, Rogersville Tenn. Look at the rifle blend in with the leaves. Shot was made at 5:30...dark by the time I got photos taken.

2012_1119JRinKY0011.jpg

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  2. OK JR. Up to your old tricks again. Coyotes dpwn your way just don't live to long.

3. Glendale John

Glendale John 6 pointer

Always enjoy your narratives and pictures. good work!

4. BR1

BR1 8 pointer

Apr 8, 2012
    Good shooting, I always enjoy reading your posts. Congratulations on your coyote.

5. BIGBEAR9834

BIGBEAR9834 Spike

Nov 12, 2012
    western ky
    good shooting, thanks for sharing

6. BT Game Calls

BT Game Calls Spike

Aug 16, 2012
    Nancy Ky
    Well another good story and pics. thanks for sharing !!!!

7. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Great Story Jr. Having seen that happen a few times I was right there with you.And it looks like you did that one a huge favor before real winter gets here.

I been hearing that round is about as fur friendly as they get. Did you have an exit? Jimmie

8. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    Very good write up. I enjoyed the story and the pics.

9. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    I've never seen such a shaggy looking yote. All the ones I see taken around here are slick and fat usually

10. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Thanks guys for the nice comments; if I had it to do over I may have waited him out. He was hearing everything I was saying, but he was so close to that big tree that he couldn't get a fix on the location. Usually they look right at you when you are that close. The bullet went straight through the head, compare that to the one I shot about a month ago at about the same distance that blew up on impact. Over 100 yards you will never get an exit.
    That Coyote had the mange pretty bad and I never touched him; first one in several years that I have found with the Mange.
    It's Going to get cold this weekend, might make them a little hungry.
    Maybe I need one of those BT Game Calls; I can call just as many with a mouth call, but they get a god Fix on your loacation.

11. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

With it doing a sneak and peak I don't think it had that good a fix on location. And the way you called may have had something to do with that. It's just my opinion but I think intermitant calling keeps them coming slow that way.

I am still getting a big kick out of the kitty routine;-) Why do that over a lipsqueak? Jimmie

12. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    The Cat routine.
    I guess I'm just messing around; it goes back a long ways. I had a little Cat one time that used to go to the woods with me. She knew exactly what I was doing out there and we killed a lot of Coyotes before I was on this forum. The Coyotes would come into the barn looking for her, but they never got her; she died of old age.
    I have called several Coyotes in and killed them doing just this "Meeeow" thing. (I sound pretty convincing.)
    Lipsqueak??? I do that too...like I said "Just messing around with the Coyotes."

Here she is...Slinky the Cat
    DSCF0255.jpg

My Current Cat. A purebred Siberian "The Bouncer."

2011_0820JRinKY0050.jpg Yeah, I like Cats....BUT I don't fit the "Profile." I like Wimmen too. HA

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  13. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

LOL, I have a barn cat that goes with me to feed as well. She hollers every step of the way. I think she is why the red fox was showing up at feeding time and giving me a quick look at him. I am sure he has gotten a cat or two in the past.

Your messing with the coyotes got me thinking about owls. I wiggle a finger when they are looking away just to watch their heads snap back to see what it was. They are a lot more fun than hawks. Jimmie

14. george coleman

george coleman Spike

Jun 7, 2010
    mt.vernon ky
    cats.......................................bait..............................;)