Coyote Double....2 Bigguns

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by JR in KY, Dec 2, 2012.

1. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    And 2 more make a Dozen. Coyotes 11 and 12 for the season.

Well, I have to say that today was not a textbook "Coyote Hunting" day. Warm. Really Warm for December; Coyotes are under no pressure from cold weather to find something to eat for breakfast. Nothing gets'em moving like cold weather and snow.

I woke up early at my usual going to work time; almost talked myself out of going Coyote Hunting. But I have so few days to go out, I thought I had better go anyway. I was out yesterday at a farm, but did not see anything; but the farmer told me that he had just had a cow calve. I figured I might just go back there and check it out again. I had done a little scouting yesterday and found a new place to set up; but I would have to cross 400 yards of wide open fields to get to the treeline. I had seen Coyotes cruise through there in the past, This time I was going to be there waiting for them.

I arrived just after daylight and walked rapidly across the open field....I could just feel Coyote Eyes staring at me all the way across. Laughing at me again. I set up under a walnut tree just at the edge of the treeline. Not the best of concealment, but it gave the best visibility of the area. I sat there about 15 minutes being silent. I had decided not to Call....going for just a Straight Up Ambush. These guys have already heard the calls; no sense telling them that old JR is there waiting for them. The cows were in an adjoining field separated by a pretty thick grown up fence row..maybe 200 - 300 yards away. The field had some rolls and folds in it and was not readily visible from anywhere. I could hear a cow fussing about something....could it be a Coyote??? I kept watching intently and finally saw some movement through the growed up fencerow. I looked through my scope....yep, a Coyote moving through the cattle. I pitched my shooting sticks and eased over to a little berm in the field about 20 yards away. Got my Harris Bipod down now....looking through the Crosshairs at where the Coyote was. I couldn't see him any longer; he was behind a really thick bunch of brush. How do they always do that????
    I keep searching for more movement....I finally see him moving to my right starting to clear some of the brush. I am on him now....He's still moving out a bit. I get my crosshairs on him....he's stopped. BUT. I look straight over his back and I am looking at the neighbor's living room picture window. Nope. We can't do that. I was afraid I might get a pass through like I did a couple weeks ago. The Coyote is smelling around in the grass, but now starts to walk faster out into the open for a cleared shot. I WOLFFF him to get him still. He stops on the 3rd Wollfff and listens intently. I Fire>>>>>>>>>50g VMax to the engine room. Whump. at 164 yards and he never even moves. DRT.

Just then I see another Coyote start to leave the field about 75 yards to the left. Hurriedly, but not at a dead run. I quickly reload. I am thinking: "He's leaving and I am in his Exit path." I stay prone, but raise my head up to look for him. Now, look at this. He has skylined himself about 130 yards out and is Looking Right At Me. He sees me lying there, but doesn't know what I am. There is a bunch of weeds between my rifle muzzle and the Coyote...I quickly slide to my left about 2 feet to get a better bullet path through a break in the weeds. I figure that I must Fire and hope for the best before he leaves.
    I Fire again>>>>>>>>>>>Leaves, Grass and dust blow up in front of me. I know I have either Killed the Coyote or my bullet has blown up in the weeds. I ease over there and find him lying right where I saw him when I fired. Neither one of these guys even made a flop. I am thinking: "Man, this is a Big Coyote"......Until I walk over and retreive the other Coyote, who is even larger. This first one I shot is probably the largest one I ever killed, probably over 60 pounds.

Here's the Second Coyote I shot....A large male

2012_1202JRinKY0045.jpg

And here's Coyote number 1. sorry for the poor photo; he was so heavy I could hardly hold him up for the photo. He was a really long lanky Coyote, a really big Male.

2012_1202JRinKY0039.jpg

Poor olde man, well dressed in my BRAND NEW U. S. ARMY MULTICAM LUCKY PANTS. I do not feel that I am worthy to wear these pants, but I wear them in honor of my son in Afghanistan right now, 1LT Jesse Carter an Army Airborne Ranger of the 102nd. Sapper Co. Look at how the camo of the pants and the rifle blend together, Rifle is a Rem 40X .22BR camo dip by Brothers Hydrographics, Rogersville, Tenn.

2012_1202JRinKY0058.jpg

I fired from the big cedar tree in the center of the photo. I got up into the Coyote Nest without them seeing me cross the field. Sometimes everything just falls into place. Some people ask me how do I get so lucky to find Coyotes all the time??? Well, the answer is you just keep going OUT...you can't find them in your living room.

2012_1202JRinKY0050.jpg

2. Good story JR. Looks like a big one. I carry a digital scale and have weighed several over 50 but never one 60 or over. Most are 30-45 pounds. Killed a female not long ago that was real lanky and weighed in at 44 pounds.

3. buck shot

buck shot 6 pointer

Nov 17, 2008
    letcher co KY
    Man Jr those are some big .. Looks like you had a fun day .

4. Ward

Ward 6 pointer

Dec 2, 2007
    Letcher County
    Big ones for sure !!!!!

5. BR1

BR1 8 pointer

Apr 8, 2012
    Congratulations, good shooting and another good story.

6. Glendale John

Glendale John 6 pointer

Awesome! You did better than we did this weekend. Great story line and pictures, keep em' coming!

7. magoofinhunter

magoofinhunter Banned

Aug 10, 2012
    Two dandy coyotes. Congrats.

8. Rhino

Rhino Spike

Jul 22, 2011
    NKY
    Great job JR...Huge yotes!!!

9. george coleman

george coleman Spike

Jun 7, 2010
    mt.vernon ky
    hes just palin good dont let him bullshet ya !...he needs to start coyote joe's trouphy guide service he could make big money ! lol

10. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Way to go Joe! I always enjoy your stories. --Mike Ezell

11. coyote1758

coyote1758 6 pointer

Oct 10, 2010
    nicholasville ky.
    WTG nice pics and wow big yotes

12. Budnapp

Budnapp 6 pointer