Coyote/dog paw prints

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Chet Parsons, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Chet Parsons

Chet Parsons Fawn

Dec 26, 2002
    Kingston, TN.
    Ever wonder if it was Fido or Wiley that made those tracks?

[​IMG]
    Coyote tracks (left) are narrower and more elongated than dog tracks (right)

Good calling,
    coyotehunter

2. yotekiller

yotekiller Banned

Jan 20, 2002
    Good post Chet,i've also heard that coyotes have a stride thats different from a domestic dog.Something like they are seperated or you'll not find a rear beside a front,meaning if you find prints that look like they are from two canines on the same trail they are likely a coyote.

I don't think i have ever confirmed a coyote track though just because of the conditions in my area.It's either to wet or dry or just don't show enough detail for me to decide.If i find canine tracks away from civilization(AT LEAST THAT'S WHAT THEY CALL IT) i usually ponder it being a yote.

3. Chet Parsons

Chet Parsons Fawn

Dec 26, 2002
    Kingston, TN.
    Yotekiller,
    I also hunt where tracks are hard to see because of ground clutter or soil conditions. Dirt roads, mud holes and creek banks will usually only show a few tracks. I may hunt an area several times before seeing the first track. Yes, they do have a different stride than a dog but I can't really explain what it looks like without a picture. I may have one stashed somewhere, I'll check on that. Old snow & soft mud can distort the tracks somewhat, most of the time a coyote's track can be told by the front two toe pads/nails on their front foot. Notice in the drawing how they stick straight out and are closer together, compared to the domestic dogs pads/nails which are wider and angled. Unless the coyote is running, or the ground is real soft the two front nails will be the only ones seen in it's track.

Hope this helps...Get a few for me!

Good calling,
    coyotehunter

4. onearrow

onearrow Spike

Sep 25, 2002
    Central, KY
    I've also noticed that a red fox and a gray fox have those same type of paw prints.There is a difference in overall size in all three though.When I used to trap I loved it when there was a light snow on and you could tell exactly how they approched the set.I still go out everytime there is a good tracking snow on just to keep tabs on what's going on.

5. Chet Parsons

Chet Parsons Fawn

Dec 26, 2002
    Kingston, TN.
    Yotehunter,
    Here's one fur you... [:D]
    [​IMG]

Good calling,
    coyotehunter_1