Coyote #4

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by DBNF HNTR, Apr 16, 2020.

1. DBNF HNTR

DBNF HNTR Spike

Nov 10, 2018
    Rowan Co, KY
    Sat 11 Apr 2020, Elliott Co, ten minutes before sunrise. After looking over the huge cattle pasture I would be setting up in, I eased up over the ridge and along the brushy fence row to my perch for the morning that would allow me to see 400+ yards to my right, front, and left. I knelt down to get my caller and decoy out of my pack when I caught movement about 35 yards to my left. Coyote #1 had just popped over the same ridge I had just crossed and into the field, saw me and then took off trying to make it to the brushy draw about 100 yards below me. I dropped to the ground and got into the prone behind my rifle and tried to stop it by barking but it made it to the draw. I waited there for several seconds in case it showed itself for a shot further down the draw but no luck. I reached for a call in my left pocket to try and howl it back in, but before I could, I saw movement to my right. Coyote #2 came busting through another brushy fence row at a trot about 70 yards below me and to my right and was moving to my left. I barked at him and he stopped at 70 yards right in front of me and was staring me down. Found him in the bottom of the draw in a drain filled with stagnant water. Looked like a drowned rat when I pulled him out. Stunk so bad I couldn't even stand to skin him. Farmer was glad to see it gone. I never even used a call. Finally ended the drought I've had since late Feb. Hit and spun one around in March that I couldn't find and missed another. About a week ago, I hit one out past 350 yards, knocked it down and spun it around a few times. Last I saw of it was a leg sticking up in the air but I couldn't find it either. Took the Mrs with me two days ago on the 15th of April. Had a big one come running by at 60 yards early in the calling sequence. She thought it was pretty cool - we're going again tomorrow morning.

Attached Files:

JR PORTER, woodsman92 and Feedman like this.
  2. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
  3. AllDodge

AllDodge Spike

May 20, 2019
    South Central, KY