Coydogs in Kentucky

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Semp, Sep 29, 2009.

1. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    If it looks like a coyote, acts like a coyote, smells like a coyote....you know the rest.

2. coysmoker

coysmoker 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2010
    Boone Co.
    I was trying to call in a coyote last year when a floppy eared beagle came trotting in and looked at me with a pair of sad eyes. I looked at his collar and it had a phone number on it. I called and told the owner what happened, he said"I hope you didn't shoot him "!!! I laughed my butt off .... Told him his tail wasn't bushey enough to look like and coyote .....

3. XFORCE

XFORCE 8 pointer

Oct 14, 2009
    HEY MEN TO THAT!!! By the way, I bet that bear has walked thousands of miles!!!lol I think I got a coydog around my house. I have killed 2 female coyotes that he runs with but dang he is so freaking smart!! I can't close the deal on him. Tons of pics off a trail cam of him and female yotes. I killed one female he was with everyday then he was by hisself for about a week then he started showing up with another female and I killed her. Now he's by hisself again I think....A guy up the road stopped by the house last night and told me he has been hearing them every night now..Guess I'll try this weekend for him again. Here is a pic or two of him. He looks like he has some of my German Shepherd in him from body size and stocky legs what do you think??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. O'l Joe

O'l Joe 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2009
    stay out
    these pictures pics dont do this thing justice. biscuit has pics that really show some of the coyote traits if he would post them.

5. O'l Joe

O'l Joe 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2009
    stay out
    Amen Brother!!!

6. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    or your loss of a hunting area because the landowner's neighbor saw his missing pooch laying across someones tailgate on a hunting forum.

7. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    or a little beagle looking yote. not worth the gun cleaning. the kids would appreciate it.

8. Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk Fawn

Dec 24, 2010
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    I have always been skeptical of coydog stories. I don't remember where I got the following photo, but it sure got me to thinking that there just might be dog/coyote crosses.
    [​IMG]

9. eleaf

eleaf Spike

Jan 12, 2010
    Wilmore, KY
    There are definitely coydogs. But they are pretty rare, and generally only occur on the bleeding edge of coyote expansion. They are VERY rare where there are established coyote populations. They are out there for sure, just not very many of them.

10. fluffy

fluffy Fawn

Feb 28, 2011
    down on the farm
    that thing looks like it might be 1/2 deer.:eek:

11. Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk Fawn

Dec 24, 2010
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    "that thing looks like it might be 1/2 deer."
    ---------------------------------------
    Yes, I noticed that too. ;) I think maybe a greyhound was involved in that cross.

12. eleaf

eleaf Spike

Jan 12, 2010
    Wilmore, KY
    Could be, but the stomach area in no way says greyhound.

13. True Rifleman .270Win

True Rifleman .270Win 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2010
    CLASSIFIED
    They're common alright I've killed several.

14. Green Arrow

Green Arrow 6 pointer

Dec 6, 2009
    NKY
    I think I saw one in Boone County this year, it was very large (70+) and very dark colored unlike the coyotes I have seen in the area before. I pulled back on him but he was gone before I could put a pin on him. Very aware of me and didn't seem as scared or nervous as the coyotes around there. I think there are alot more coyotes and crosses out there then is thought to be in existence. I saw and heard alot more activity this past archery season than in the past and the snow made for some easy track identification/observation in places alot closer to human activity than you may think they are comfortable with making me think that crosses occur and have made them a little bolder as well. Just my 2cents.

15. GearDown

GearDown Spike

Jul 12, 2010
    Northern KY
    Wherd have you been seeing them the most in Boone County? On the Adair WMA I've seen scat and trackd I believe were from coyotes. I've heard them too when walking out after dark. Otherwise I see them dead on 71 and 75.